Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LASEK in the Mater

• 06-08-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Doctor in the Mater said I'm suitable for both LASIK and LASEK but recommended going for LASEK because of ''imperfections'' in my eye.

I'm not crazy about about the recovery time with LASEK tbh, but in doing my research I see years old posts from people who went to the Mater who said they don't do both eyes on the same day for LASEK.

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭jimmymack

Doctor in the Mater said I'm suitable for both LASIK and LASEK but recommended going for LASEK because of ''imperfections'' in my eye.

I'm not crazy about about the recovery time with LASEK tbh, but in doing my research I see years old posts from people who went to the Mater who said they don't do both eyes on the same day for LASEK.

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Hi,

I got LASEK in the Mater a couple of weeks ago, and both eyes were done on the same day - I was in and out of the hospital in just under an hour. Recovery time is different for everyone but so far I've been recovering well, things are still a bit blurry but otherwise I can go about my day as normal, I'm about 85-90% there at this stage. Feel free to ask if you've any more questions and I'll tell you what I can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Make sure and check your Health Insurance wherever you go. Some of them, LAYA anyhow, give you a lot of money back.

20% back from the Revenue too

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭mayo pixiebell

jimmymack wrote: »
    20% back from the Revenue too

Hi. Just wondering if the 20% back is on top of the 15%? I’m just unsure if you can claim
    On both?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 beatbangs

Hi,

Could you please tell me the name of the consultant that did your laser eye surgery in the Mater Private and would you recommend them? I am trying to find recommendations on consultants in there but can't seem to find any recent recommendations on this.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Apologies mayo and beatbangs, I'm useless at replying to messages :o
    Hi. Just wondering if the 20% back is on top of the 15%? I’m just unsure if you can claim
    On both?

From what I know you can claim back 20% of your medical expenses for the year from the Revenue, there are some exceptions to this like regular eye tests, you can't get anything back from them. Could you elaborate on the 15% please? I haven't heard of that before.
    beatbangs wrote: »
    Hi,

Could you please tell me the name of the consultant that did your laser eye surgery in the Mater Private and would you recommend them? I am trying to find recommendations on consultants in there but can't seem to find any recent recommendations on this.

Thanks.

Marc Guerin did my surgeon, I found him great to deal with, he's a lovely guy and I felt I could trust his suggestions re: surgery. I'd happily recommend him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Hi jimmyjack, just wondering how you are getting on since? How soon after surgery were you able to drive or work on a computer?

Advertisement