Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

OU812 wrote: »
    Damn right they're going to drop. There'll still be massive hundreds of millions movies, but we're about to see a resurgence of the craft of film making.

Character driven movies like Rainman & Magnolia are about to come back.

Major stars will have to take a cut & special effects will be a minimum.

I love your optimism :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Yikes. I would never consider paying $30 or even equivalent to it to watch a new movie like Mulan on Disney+.

It is still too much of an asking price to pay for one sitting of a movie when people's finances have hit a big challenge while living with less money during this pandemic. Limiting viewings of a big new blockbuster movie for a big one off cost on one streaming service to countries that have it sounds like an experiment that could be too big to fail. I don't how people are getting paid for being unemployed in the U.S. due to the pandemic. Would they be able to afford to fork out to pay an extra $30 for seeing Mulan on Disney+. I would think not. It will definitely work for the well off crowd living there but not for poorer people who live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Even before COVID-19, it would take something major for me to put up with the cost and hassle of going to a cinema, but this month TENET might just be that something. I just hope it's not just in multiplexes.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

bnt wrote: »
    Even before COVID-19, it would take something major for me to put up with the cost and hassle of going to a cinema, but this month TENET might just be that something. I just hope it's not just in multiplexes.

Jez, the haste of going the cinema? It’s supposed to be a leisurely experience, not a chore. Watching something like TENET at home would ruin it, I might as well just google the plot on Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

kerplun k wrote: »
    Jez, the haste of going the cinema? It’s supposed to be a leisurely experience, not a chore. Watching something like TENET at home would ruin it, I might as well just google the plot on Wikipedia.
    I agree it's supposed to be ... but it's usually not for me.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

So which cinemas in Dublin are currently open? The Lighthouse, Blanchardstown Odeon... anyone else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Don't think the IMC chain is open? Their website listed nothing last time I checked which was about a week ago.

Wonder how many cinemas are going to be affected by the 2 week lockdown of Offaly, Kildare and Laois?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

Rathmines Omniplex and Stella cinema

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

pixelburp wrote: »
    Don't think the IMC chain is open? Their website listed nothing last time I checked which was about a week ago.

Wonder how many cinemas are going to be affected by the 2 week lockdown of Offaly, Kildare and Laois?

My local IMC opened for the first time this evening. Friday, Saturday and Sunday I believe for the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My local IMC opened for the first time this evening. Friday, Saturday and Sunday I believe for the moment.

Interesting, mustn't be nationwide as my local in Santry remains shut - at least the website lists nothing. Guess it's a phased opening..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

pixelburp wrote: »
    Interesting, mustn't be nationwide as my local in Santry remains shut - at least the website lists nothing. Guess it's a phased opening..

I think it's just 3 of them for now. I guess they'll see how it goes before making their next move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

I'm actually enjoying this time at the movies. Getting to see movies I haven't seen in ages on the big screen. Earlier tonight I went to see the dark knight rises which I hadn't seen since its original release. I remember not being too impressed the first time I saw it , I was very much a fan of nolan's non batman Franchise films so didnt really warm to the first two either. But tonight I realised I was wrong, enjoyed this movie so much tonight, saw things in it I just didnt get the first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

DeWitt wrote: »
    So which cinemas in Dublin are currently open? The Lighthouse, Blanchardstown Odeon... anyone else?

Vue is going to open on the 21st so in time for "Tenet" then. I see they have opened some of there cinema,s in the UK already.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Thats such an odd thing to say. I get that a lot of films benefit from a big screen experience, but whats to stop people enjoying any movie from the comfort of their own home as well? :confused: There have been plenty of big movies of the years that I couldn't make it to the cinema to see for one reason or another, but still managed to enjoy them on the telly at a later date.

If you saw Tenet in the cinema and loved it, would you never watch it again at home because TVs couldn't do it justice?

but whats to stop people enjoying any movie from the comfort of their own home as well?

A door bell, a smartphone (billion different notifications), a friend/family member walking into the room, roadworks, a nearby house a alarm, baby crying, etc.

Sure you can stay up late and avoid a lot of this, but the last time I tried this, I was so tired I couldn't properly enjoy it. I tried watching The Irishman at home, and I deeply regret not seeing it in the cinema. I was exhausted watching it at home totally ruined the experience. I never feel like this at the cinema.

I've got a decent set up at home, 60", 4K Bravia, decent sound system, but the keyword missing for me here is, Immersion.

There's other aspects as well, the big screen, the sound, the shared experience, meeting people before it, talking about your expectations, you go into a different mindset that allows you to give a film your undivided attention, I just don't believe (for the majority of people), the cinema experience can be replicated at home. I actually think the streaming model being pushed before the pandemic was adverse to the film industry, which looks like is only gonna intensify now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

A door bell, a smartphone (billion different notifications), a friend/family member walking into the room, roadworks, a nearby house a alarm, baby crying, etc.

Sure you can stay up late and avoid a lot of this, but the last time I tried this, I was so tired I couldn't properly enjoy it. I tried watching The Irishman at home, and I deeply regret not seeing it in the cinema. I was exhausted watching it at home totally ruined the experience. I never feel like this at the cinema.

I've got a decent set up at home, 60", 4K Bravia, decent sound system, but the keyword missing for me here is, Immersion.

There's other aspects as well, the big screen, the sound, the shared experience, meeting people before it, talking about your expectations, you go into a different mindset that allows you to give a film your undivided attention, I just don't believe (for the majority of people), the cinema experience can be replicated at home. I actually think the streaming model being pushed before the pandemic was adverse to the film industry, which looks like is only gonna intensify now.

You're way over the top. Of course the cinema experience is better. That's why they charge for it. But it doesn't just mean that all other options to watch a movie are null and void and waste of time. It doesn't have to be a "cinema or nothing" choice. I love the cinema, but in the past 4 months couldn't go. I'd say I've watch about 50 movies in those 4 months. Most have been on laptop with headphones and some streamed on laptop hooked to TV - I'm still a bit oldschool when it comes to hardware.
    Anyway, I have enjoyed hours of great entertainment. Some movies have been a bit disappointing, but most have left me satisfied. Of course, I would have enjoyed going to the cinema 50 times in 4 months. But wasn't possible.

And "roadworks"??? preventing you enjoying a movie at home. Unless you're living in the middle of a large construction site, that's been rather dramatic.

Just to be clear. I wasn't saying cinema or nothing, nor was I saying it can't be a good experience at home.
    Specifically, I was talking about TENET here, a film I really want to see. It would be a travesty not saving this one until cinemas are back open and safe.

I had a day off on Saturday, I wanted to watch Hamilton, halfway through, boom, construction from one of the neighbors getting an attic conversation. That's fine, I turned off, and finished later that evening, it happens. But sometimes I want to to give a film my undivided attention, but when I watch a film at home, its more of a casual viewing experience.

Imagine trying to watch a film like Knives Out or Blade Runner 2049 at home, how many times do you pause it, getting drinks, going the toilet, house phone ringing, etc, you miss the immersion. Sure you still probably still enjoyed it, but its causal, and this kind of viewing just doesn't do some films justice.

I'm in no doubt that when I watch something at home that was indented for the big screen, I'm missing the full experience and if its a film I'm especially psyched about seeing, Id rather wait a couple or years and be part of a collective viewing audience in the cinema, rather than having it just drop on some VOD or streaming platform.

You're way over the top. Of course the cinema experience is better. That's why they charge for it.

Disney is charging $30 for Mulan, that's on top of a subscription fee. They're also charging for it. and listen, I'm not begrudging them, at the end of the day its a business and making money has to be a top priority, but regardless whether I'm being charged or not, I still want films to be made that were intended to be viewed in a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Do you have to wear masks in the cinema from today?

Omniplex had posted saying when you're in bathrooms or the foyer getting food you had to but ok in the screen, but gov regulations saying masks have to be worn in the cinema.

If I had to wear a mask during the actual film, I'd 100% not be going. I think it'd be rather stupid to have to considering most people would eat and drink during it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

titan18 wrote: »
    Do you have to wear masks in the cinema from today?

Omniplex had posted saying when you're in bathrooms or the foyer getting food you had to but ok in the screen, but gov regulations saying masks have to be worn in the cinema.

If I had to wear a mask during the actual film, I'd 100% not be going. I think it'd be rather stupid to have to considering most people would eat and drink during it.

Light House is also saying mandatory in the lobbies etc but they can be taken off in the screen as seats are socially distant. You’d imagine they consulted the authorities before announcing these rules :)

For what it’s worth, I’ve been wearing a mask in the screen for the most part (taking it off if eating or drinking, of course) and it’s been absolutely fine. I know the level of comfort with masks varies, though - personally find a nice reusable cotton one very manageable for extended periods. Although wouldn’t feel uneasy taking it off either given the excellent distancing measures in place for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Mr.S wrote: »
    I recently did, and loved it :D I guess i'm not as picky, I don't need the full immersion experience to really enjoy a film.

I'll (hopefully) see TENET at the cinema, but I'd still be fine with seeing it at home. Little distractions like getting a drink / phone going off doesn't take me away from the film.

Ya, I love the novelty of the cinema, but would rather watch film on my own at home. Lights out. Can take a ciggie break whenever I want, bathroom when I want. If there is something that I did not fully grasp in the film, can pause to have a quick google without getting spoilers. Can get a drink when I want. Generally don't bother eating during a film, but can if I want.
    Can do these and I definately still get immersed in a film. Have my ciggie break, think about what happened, and then back in with excitement for the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I prefer to watch films as the director intended, which means from start to finish, with ZERO interruptions.

More often than not only the cinema experience can offer me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I prefer to watch films as the director intended, which means from start to finish, with ZERO interruptions.

More often than not only the cinema experience can offer me that.

Pretty sure the director didn't intend for the first 20 minutes to be an eating competition, constant phone glow & people wandering in and out to the concession stands & toilets.

While I love the cinema & miss it, there's a lot I don't love about it.

Some of my best cinema experience have been when I've been lucky enough to be the only person there or among a handful of well spaced out individuals (early morning shows), but that's not a great business model.

Cinema as we know it is dead for the next couple of years (at least). Short of an incredible scientific breakthrough in the next few months, there's many exhibitors not going to survive.

Now if you book two seats, they've to book out the two left, right, front & back of you. That's just 20% capacity. Totally unsustainable. Only option is to increase prices & prices were already reasonably high, so you're going to lose a whole section of your customers who cant or won't pay an increase, which will lead to more piracy.

Best option for studios is to build a robust streaming platform & have a decent price. $20-$25 seems to be the sweet spot that's acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I completely understand where everyone is coming from in regards to the "cinema experience".
    In an ideal world, the cinema is still the best place to experience movies. You have the dark room, surround sound, giant screen, big comfy chairs. Its hard to beat! And in pre-Covid times, I would always make the effort to see all the big-screen movies in the cinema wherever possible :D

But as I get older, I find myself more and more put off by other people in the cinema. Whether its people checking their phones and lighting up the darkness with the screen, people constantly coming and going to the toilet or get more snacks, people talking throughout the whole movie, kicking the chairs from behind (why?! :confused::confused::confused:), or being unfortunate enough to be stuck behind some ten foot giant with his head and shoulders poking up into the bottom-half of the movie screen.

Some of this can't be avoided (toilet breaks, food breaks, being a giant), but I really do feel like a lot of people these days have zero respect for others in the cinema (more disposable income, so its less of a "special event" now for people perhaps?) and the talking throughout the movie is the one that really grinds my gears the most :mad:

I know not everyone is in the same position, but I live alone, so can eliminate practically all distractions before watching a film at home. I stream, record and rent movies all the time and would never say that seeing a film at home ruined the experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

I live alone, so can eliminate practically all distractions before watching a film at home. I stream, record and rent movies all the time and would never say that seeing a film at home ruined the experience for me.

That's the dream man !!!

I'm going to get this blown up to life size, cut out the bottom part of it & mount it half way between me & the TV.

2922361-blank-cinema-screen.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I completely understand where everyone is coming from in regards to the "cinema experience".
    In an ideal world, the cinema is still the best place to experience movies. You have the dark room, surround sound, giant screen, big comfy chairs. Its hard to beat! And in pre-Covid times, I would always make the effort to see all the big-screen movies in the cinema wherever possible :D

But as I get older, I find myself more and more put off by other people in the cinema. Whether its people checking their phones and lighting up the darkness with the screen, people constantly coming and going to the toilet or get more snacks, people talking throughout the whole movie, kicking the chairs from behind (why?! :confused::confused::confused:), or being unfortunate enough to be stuck behind some ten foot giant with his head and shoulders poking up into the bottom-half of the movie screen.

Some of this can't be avoided (toilet breaks, food breaks, being a giant), but I really do feel like a lot of people these days have zero respect for others in the cinema (more disposable income, so its less of a "special event" now for people perhaps?) and the talking throughout the movie is the one that really grinds my gears the most :mad:

I know not everyone is in the same position, but I live alone, so can eliminate practically all distractions before watching a film at home. I stream, record and rent movies all the time and would never say that seeing a film at home ruined the experience for me.

I have come to hate the cinema for the reasons above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I have come to hate the cinema for the reasons above.

Time to change your username!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

I see Vue are putting 3 seats between viewers (at least horizontally, probably gonna have the lad behind you coughing and spluttering all over ya).
    Of course, they're gonna have to control the lobby etc - losing the food and drink would be a good start (albeit crippling in a business sense - not that not being open isn't already).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭SteM

McDermotX wrote: »
    I see Vue are putting 3 seats between viewers (at least horizontally, probably gonna have the lad behind you coughing and spluttering all over ya).

Can't belive they'd do a 3 seat gap between booked seats but let someone sit directly behind booked seats.

I'd imagine they'll follow Dundrum's booking pattern of not allowing people to book directly in front or behind another booked seat or group of seats. So like in the attachment, someone has booked E3-E6 so rows D and F are effectively closed apart from seat 1 in each row. I think the lighthouse are only selling evey second row too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

One advantage of home is the film fits on the screen. :)
    I don't see how, with the size of the screen in cinemas, they never fit the whole film on. I remember some films that contained subtitles in parts and I could either see the subs on the curtain below the screen or could just see 1 line on the screen where the subs ran for 2 lines.

And they spend so long adjusting and readjusting the film at the start that you have to wonder why it wasn't set from the previous screening. Of course the 15 minutes of ads always work grand

Advertisement