Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Here's the little brother to your Light Sixer which I also put a composite mod in:
    IMG-20190901-113741.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Here's the little brother to your Light Sixer which I also put a composite mod in:
    IMG-20190901-113741.jpg
    Ah, my first computer console...games thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,847 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I'm similar but use silicon spray - it brings up the plastic very well

I found the silicon spray a little too harsh myself. Plus, I had a fair few beard oil bottles to test out. It seems if you have a beard, you get beard care sets for Christmas from everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

IMG-20190901-113741.jpg

My first ever machine....will always have a soft sport for the 2600.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I found the silicon spray a little too harsh myself. Plus, I had a fair few beard oil bottles to test out. It seems if you have a beard, you get beard care sets for Christmas from everyone :)

I've some beard oil also here - this one.
    Usable on plastics do you think ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I went on a splurge and bought a Famicom Ram Pack and a FDSStick.... There is no good purpose for spending money at 4am when you can't sleep...

I've some beard oil also here - this one.
    Usable on plastics do you think ?

This is the one I found good, seems similar.

9NubX6y.jpg

What I do is put some oil onto a cloth and rub go at the plastic. Then leave for a few mins and grab a clean cloth and rub the oil off/in as much as possible. When your done it shouldn't be oily to the touch or wet. It should look slightly restored though, if not go again. If the plastic is clear or translucent it can really make it look like new(or at least better).
    It's worth testing this on a hidden part of the plastic before going at it proper. A small section on the base is usually a good test.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I went on a splurge and bought a Famicom Ram Pack and a FDSStick.... There is no good purpose for spending money at 4am when you can't sleep...
    Got mine yesterday, nifty little thing. Now wanna see how I can hook it up to the internal drive of the Sharp Famicom Twin to re-write a disk. Already got a RGB cable which I've shaved to fit the FDSStick, saves the need to get a RAM adapter to either use OR to use its cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was going to post the game room in my new house as a new get of sorts but progress has been slow as everything in IKEA is out of stock so here's the dvd I rack I replaced. I might add one or two for the left side for overflow and miscellaneous things.

The room is fairly narrow so I'd like to get a smaller desk and possibly mount the TV to the wall to make everything neater. I could move into the double room but the smaller room has a nice man cave charm to it.

foydwsp.jpg

KHDBCUT.jpg

vbQPBiJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Sega fan?

Love how you have the Saturn and DC displayed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sega fan?

Love how you have the Saturn and DC displayed!!

How could you tell? :D

I just started the PlayStation collection this year as I only had a handful of Silent Hill games before this year. Wanted to have the Master System and Mega Drive up there too but didn't have a spare shelf. Also have a PS1 and PS2 I could add if I get more shelving down the line but it will do for now :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Got mine yesterday, nifty little thing. Now wanna see how I can hook it up to the internal drive of the Sharp Famicom Twin to re-write a disk. Already got a RGB cable which I've shaved to fit the FDSStick, saves the need to get a RAM adapter to either use OR to use its cable.

Everything will probably arrive in Parcel Motel Monday, the RAM pack and a few other bits, hopefuily I'll be back in time from Youghal before they are sent back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I've been quiet around here for a long time, but this counts as a new get, right?

rZYPae.jpg

A couple of bits in today.

Another Quarter Arcades mini cab arrived today. This time Galaga, and again its actually quite a nice looking thing and playable. I was going to go for Galaxian instead, but I prefer to play Galaga.
    Its a novelty, but there's definitely some fun to be had with it. 0.5KG heavier than the Pacman one, so I'll be opening it up to see what that is later.

aPsnPRP.jpg

Can of Monster for scale.
    cxlW5RD.jpg

Also picked up the rather excellent 8bitdo M30 controller and retro receiver for the Mega Drive.
    OQykoh3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,364 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The build quality on those little machines looks quite nice, are they about Action Man sized?

o1s1n wrote: »
    The build quality on those little machines looks quite nice, are they about Action Man sized?

A bit bigger than that I think(not sure how big an action man is :)).
    Exactly 1 quarter scale replicas, so 43cm(17 inches) tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

ApUnPmWh.png
    SBWaeE9h.png

Finally have myself a Dreamcast after only playing it once at a friend's house, when I was about 13.

Controller Port 1 doesn't work, though. Kinda irked me a bit since this wasn't mentioned in the item description. Nevertheless the console works fine so far and I doubt it matters what port you use........ does it? I hope not... Never mind, it works fine.... just didn't work in the console menu for some reason.

I had bought myself a VGA cable for it as well and the picture is so crisp, even on an HD TV!

I also didn't know it needed a VMU to save games - I thought they were optional. So I've had to order one of them as well.

I also have a couple extra games ordered - games I've always wanted to play the Dreamcast versions of (WWF Attitude, for instance)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Man, i keep forgetting how lumpy that controller was haha, I recall having great fun with friends on Sydney 2000, was a fun game which we randomly picked up.

PS: nice King Charles

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Man, i keep forgetting how lumpy that controller was haha, I recall having great fun with friends on Sydney 2000, was a fun game which we randomly picked up.

I was literally about to come back and update my post and say how really weird the gamepad feels lol. I thought the GameCube controller was bizarre at first, but until you actually hold a GC controller, you'll never know how right it feels.

This thing, though, yeesh, this'll take a good while lol.

(Thank you :D:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Might be worth being a little careful regarding the controller port thing if it acts up again Gamer Bhoy, as the Dreamcast (I think all revs) are somewhat susceptible to controller port damage if swapping around the ports while the power is on. Something that can happen if you are seeing controller issues again.
    There was a subsequent fuse mod that was developed to prevent such a situation if it happens to occur.

Never happened to myself personally, but thinking back to years ago, a friend of mine lost his controller ports but it wasn't widely known back then - not sure what happened to it in the end.

• Advertisement

Got a few Atari games today. I really only wanted Star Raiders, but the bundle price was reasonable so I took the lot.

0ZvGF3M.jpg

McDermotX wrote: »
    Might be worth being a little careful regarding the controller port thing if it acts up again Gamer Bhoy, as the Dreamcast (I think all revs) are somewhat susceptible to controller port damage if swapping around the ports while the power is on. Something that can happen if you are seeing controller issues again.
    There was a subsequent fuse mod that was developed to prevent such a situation if it happens to occur.

Never happened to myself personally, but thinking back to years ago, a friend of mine lost his controller ports but it wasn't widely known back then - not sure what happened to it in the end.

Duly noted. I intend on just keeping it plugged into the port anyway so I'm hoping it stays working fine.

Small update - two DC games I ordered came after lunch time
    VvYX3VIh.jpg

UNFORTUNATELY WWF Attitude is one of the games that doesn't work when using the VGA cable. So I've ordered a SCART cable for whenever I decide to spend some time on it. I tried the dreaded RF cable that came with it and it's just............ no way am I using that.

Speaking of VGA, this is the first time I've used this cable on any game console and I am shocked at how sharp the picture is.

ubdgrEDh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,579 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye.....fantastic image quality possible from the Dreamcast

Steve X2 wrote: »
    Got a few Atari games today. I really only wanted Star Raiders, but the bundle price was reasonable so I took the lot.

0ZvGF3M.jpg

If you feel like getting rid of the others, I could help you out

bmorrissey wrote: »

I remember many lunch breaks in college back at the house with 4 people playing doubles in Virtua Tennis (and 2 I think), great game for 4 players

Arrived via ParcelMotel this morning

Thanks Corholio!

IMG-20200801-200331.jpg

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you feel like getting rid of the others, I could help you out

It's ok, I found a home for them, my home :)
    I actually dont have many carts for my Atari 800XL, so no harm to bulk up the collection a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

soo this arrived :)

117648968_10158616454503276_284922411247230526_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=2pHQBO5W13sAX8deaGt&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=283fb1aeeb200a1b555cc580487cfddc&oe=5F5B4147

sold for cheap on coinopwarehouse back in February . then covid hit and it was stuck for a while ... they they forgot about it and me and had to chase em up between coinopwarehouse who had it, coinop amusements who ships em and coinop king in the UK who freights the containers (how do they come up with their names?? )
    ... long story short, it's now here.
    Sold as not working, monitor powers, got neck glow (so high voltage) on but nothing on screen . nothing on the 5v rail so I first need to fix the AR board and take it from there.

...and yes these are fiona's knickers hanging on the rack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Nice cab :) Doesn't look to be in too bad a state, going to put that Vectrex board in it ?

Ya been reading some of the horror stories on UKVAC about getting cabs over alright, people have to pay twice and all that sort of sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Nice work, finally arrived, what has to leave to make room?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement