Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Dundrum Main Street works are starting.
    https://twitter.com/dmcambrois/status/1292709580397580290

• Registered Users Posts: 28,362 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The barriers are up at the entrance at present, so parking is free - though I presume that is a temporary measure.

Too late - barriers now down at the Village Centre, as noted on my final nostalgic drive southbound through the village yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

What happened to all the H conspiracy posts? Removed by mod or OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

buffalo wrote: »
    What happened to all the H conspiracy posts? Removed by mod or OP?

(Agents of 'H'. I have no time to write more. If they catch me writing this, they will harm me.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

They were all bollocks basically.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Piece on the new cycle lanes and cycle lane protection on the last word now. Generally positive do far. Conor faughnan trotted out as normal but he's broadly welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Piece on the new cycle lanes and cycle lane protection on the last word now. Generally positive do far. Conor faughnan trotted out as normal but he's broadly welcoming.

Afaik Conor Faughan "is a cyclist himself" (TM) so stays clear of going too far overboard on the vitriol even if his livelihood is protecting the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Stark wrote: »
    Afaik Conor Faughan "is a cyclist himself" (TM) so stays clear of going too far overboard on the vitriol even if his livelihood is protecting the status quo.

He cycles to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

https://www.fingal.ie/news/fingal-county-council-commences-part-8-planning-application-harry-reynolds-road-pedestrian-and
    Fingal County Council has commenced the Part 8 planning application process for the Harry Reynolds Road Pedestrian and Cycle Route in Balbriggan.

The route forms part of the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan and will be an important element of sustainable infrastructure within the town of Balbriggan.

Linking several schools and local amenities and serving a large part of the local population, the National Transport Authority-funded scheme would also provide for a future link to the proposed Fingal Coastal Way.

Stark wrote: »

Let's not confuse cyclist with "bicycle user", there is a difference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah here, no true scotsman.

MojoMaker wrote: »

Whats the difference?

Is there a is there a difference between a driver and a car user or a walker and footpath user then if we're going down that route :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I cycle to the shops, so I'm a bicycle user.
    I cycle on a road bike in lycra, so I'm a cyclist.
    I ride a MTB, so I'm a mountain biker.
    Funny thing is , when I'm out on a bike, I always feel as if I'm the same person.
    Funny that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I cycle on a road bike in lycra, so to some I'm a wa**er.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭cletus

Could you perhaps elucidate on the differences between the two?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1293228960223039490

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It was an ok piece in the sense that it was the usual over the top radio screaming match but nothing much was said really that was anything new but at least some of the points about cycle lane problems and quality that we often talk about here got to a wide audience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

i suspect whatever issues the locals who actually live on strand road might have with a one way system will be tempered by the knowledge that it will at least halve the HGV traffic heading for the port or the east link, coming past their houses.

HGV traffic (5-axle) is not permitted on Strand Road in normal circumstances. Also, whatever traffic is not going on the Strand road will just migrate westwards to flow through Sandymount or Merrion. As much as I am happy to see dedicated cycling facilities being installed, Strand Road is desperately unable to cope with reduced capacity being a major artery to/from the east link.

I will be delighted to be proved wrong on this, but I can't see this being successful for most people.

PaulieC wrote: »
    HGV traffic (5-axle) is not permitted on Strand Road in normal circumstances.
    it used to be on my commute, before lockdown. there were quite a lot of HGVs ignoring the ban in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

it used to be on my commute, before lockdown. there were quite a lot of HGVs ignoring the ban in my experience.

Semantics I know, but ignoring or having a lawful exemption ? Either way, it boils down to the same thing - trucks on the road.

It's on my commute too and I live in Ringsend area so I use the road a lot and I have never found it dangerous or inconvenient to cycle on. That's by-the-by but I do think that this will negatively affect the Ringsend/Irishtown and Sandymount areas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The strand road is not pleasant to cycle on. No space for anything else but single lane traffic each way, revving engines and drivers pissed off behind you as they can't pass you because there is no room with on coming traffic. cars parked at the side of the road who just love flinging their doors open at you.

I am struggling to see how not being choked with motor traffic will harm an area.

Plus there are the dart benefits too, the gates only have to go down for half the amount of traffic! I imagine the Rock Road will get busier, but hopefully it will, like most protected infra has (the new blackrock to dun laoghaire one has already), get more families, kids and people in general out on their bikes to the area instead of piling into a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Used to cycle strand road daily, I had my fair share of close passes, cars pulling out at roundabouts, tailgators and even an attempted assault. It was a perilous dash twice a day, every day. However despite the danger it was a million times better cycling it than driving it. If the local residents are supportive its a great idea to re-allocate space to cyclists from motorised transport and the closest thing to the Utrecht traffic calming model that we have seen in Ireland.

the main issue with the east link for the southside is that there is no single sensible approach to it really. at least on the northside, the traffic can be funnelled into the tunnel.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I cycle to the shops, so I'm a bicycle user.
    I cycle on a road bike in lycra, so I'm a cyclist.
    I ride a MTB, so I'm a mountain biker.
    Funny thing is , when I'm out on a bike, I always feel as if I'm the same person.
    Funny that.

Nope, you're a cyclist Eamonnator. You have a demonstrated passion for cycling, a love of bikes, a determination to put your bike ahead of other easier forms of transport, someone who cherishes their rides, looks after your equipment, and looks forward to getting out on the bike / any bike as often as possible, has more than one bike, and actively consumes a variety of biking-related media and information, often with a deep interest in the sporting side of affairs - unless of course I've taken you up incorrectly all these years :)

^^ As are most regular posters on this forum. Occasionally an interloper will wind their way in here spouting "...but I'm a cyclist too..." in order to defend/deflect the actions of others towards those that have a grá for the bike.

Cletus, you wouldn't have laboured hours of love into your Muddy Fox resto if you were just a bicycle user. By definition you're a cyclist too.

I make a strong distinction between the two, without apology. More often than not the actions of bicycle users reflect poorly on the cyclist community - those in their cages or on their footpaths see us as all one. By and large the cyclists I know and see (a) are courteous to non-cyclists, (b) obey the rules of the road, (c) look after their equipment, (d) know how to ride capably and display this clearly and consistently.

Bicycle users on the other hand struggle with much of the above. Plenty of room for all of us of course, for the love of God just don't pretend that Conor Faughnan is a cyclist :pac:

a perfect example of no true scotsman.
    it's like saying someone isn't a motorist if they consistently break the road traffic law.

I'm afraid that, despite the kudos and plaudits, Mojomaker, I have to agree with magicbastarder.

If you are on a bike, you're a cyclist. If you are driving a car, you're a motorist, etc and so forth.

We can't exclude people from any of the many groups they inhabit because we don't like the behaviour they exhibit. There are good and bad people in every walk of life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Mojomaker is 100% correct.

You earn the right to be a cyclist by riding a bike regularly and competently, with some degree of passion, I would say.

Shame that it has been hijacked by lefty weirdos, who seem to be more concerned with social media validation. But I guess it was inevitable.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Mojomaker is 100% correct.

You earn the right to be a cyclist by riding a bike regularly and competently, with some degree of passion, I would say.

Shame that it has been hijacked by lefty weirdos, who seem to be more concerned with social media validation. But I guess it was inevitable.

So who is the arbiter of this group 'cyclist'

'hijacked' is a bizarre word to use. the hijacking is being done by anyone who claims some sort of entry level of competence or piety to be considered a cyclist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

cletus wrote: »
    So who is the arbiter of this group 'cyclist'

Once you become one, you recognize it in someone else.

Cultures with a low barrier to entry are never worth being part of. Whether its cycling or anything else.

I suppose some will find that offensive but that's the times we live in.

Advertisement