Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona Virus and events

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Here is some of what AAI circulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Getting into the graded this morning was like trying to get U2 tickets!

They were to open at 6am but they actually opened 15 mins early. I set my alarm for 6am, and it took me 15 mins to get the entry through as the website kept crashing and I had to keep refreshing at each step to eventually get it through.

Went back to sleep, then woke up to see a message sent to me at 8am saying all 200m and 800m slots are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭OutTheGap

The O wrote: »

Thanks. It does say if advised by Dept. of Health after the advice on facemasks.

I've done a couple of races recently and it was made clear that the results would be determined by chip time so there was no real need to get right to the start line. People took their places at the start with a couple of minutes to go, were socially distancing and it was all fairly relaxed.

I think wearing a facemask at the start is a bit OTT but it is mentioned in the guidelines.

No phase 4. Leinsters will probably be scrapped now.

I think Nationals should be fine. Only 246 entered so far and it's been open almost a week. They should be able to manage the event over 4 sessions with only athletes, officials and media present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Leinsters cancelled

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The latest England Athletics guidelines get rid of the running 800m in every other lane, so only 3 per race daftness, and also gets rid of the starting 1500m at 200m intervals. :confused:

Now any race up to 3000m can be done as per normal, just with social distancing required before and after the event and the field size set at 6 for each race. Much more sensible set of guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Please let National Senior T&F Championships happen just so we can see the 10000m. 45 entries so far:

https://entry.athleticsireland.ie/entry/v5/competition/showEntriesV2.php?compid=194

Sacksian wrote: »
    Please let National Senior T&F Championships happen just so we can see the 10000m. 45 entries so far:

https://entry.athleticsireland.ie/entry/v5/competition/showEntriesV2.php?compid=194

And 60 in for the 5000m. I suspect A and B races for 10000m, A, B and C races for 5000m. No heats.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    And 60 in for the 5000m. I suspect A and B races for 10000m, A, B and C races for 5000m. No heats.

You're probably right - it'd be a nightmare trying to keep track of laps for 50 athletes but the grading for the races will be controversial. Not only will two races for 10000m have a knock-on effect for scheduling but you've usually got team medals in the 10000m too so that'll have to be considered (or discarded).

The other problem is that not everyone entered for either the 10000m or 5000m will race - a load of the 5000m runners are in for the 1500 too. Doubling up for the distance events might have to be knocked on the head if it makes scheduling too difficult.

You're probably right - it'd be a nightmare trying to keep track of laps for 50 athletes but the grading for the races will be controversial. Not only will two races for 10000m have a knock-on effect for scheduling but you've usually got team medals in the 10000m too so that'll have to be considered (or discarded).

The other problem is that not everyone entered for either the 10000m or 5000m will race - a load of the 5000m runners are in for the 1500 too. Doubling up for the distance events might have to be knocked on the head if it makes scheduling too difficult.

If the event is split over 2 weekends, sprints should be one weekend, distance the next. If its on the one weekend, sprints and distance should not be in the same sessions. Basically schedule it in a way that makes it pretty much impossible for anybody to double up.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Any issues for the elites with the new World Athletics rules on track shoes? I'm assuming none of these lads wear their Alphaflys on the track. Do the newest sponsored elite spikes meet the regs e.g. one carbon plate, max sole height 25mm?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Any issues for the elites with the new World Athletics rules on track shoes? I'm assuming none of these lads wear their Alphaflys on the track. Do the newest sponsored elite spikes meet the regs e.g. one carbon plate, max sole height 25mm?

This is definitely an interesting development. I don't know the difference between the various Nike models but I think all but one of the guys in the recent Dublin Championships 10000m was wearing some flavour of big stack Nike road shoe.

Not a pair of spikes to be seen and, while it's not unusual not to wear spikes for 10000m, it was strange to see a whole field wearing big road shoes on the track. I suspect it would have been the same for the 5000m at Nationals without the stack height limits.

So, based on the 25mm limit, which of the recent road shoes make the cut? There might be a lot of people reconsidering their footwear for Nationals now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If the event is split over 2 weekends, sprints should be one weekend, distance the next. If its on the one weekend, sprints and distance should not be in the same sessions. Basically schedule it in a way that makes it pretty much impossible for anybody to double up.

Given the situation, not sure we see much sport in sept sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Done my first race of the year yesterday. The 10k in ballyhoura. It was great just to be out again with the buzz of racing.

Given the situation, not sure we see much sport in sept sadly.

It's August or never IMO.

It's August or never IMO.

True, hope u can train in lockdown.

National Championships happening over four sessions/two weekends.

https://twitter.com/ianoriordan/status/1292921053099036674?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Oiriallach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

The rescheduled Paris marathon now cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I think Frankfurt is still going ahead for now

MY BAD wrote: »
    I think Frankfurt is still going ahead for now

Frankfurt went yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

OOnegative wrote: »
    The rescheduled Paris marathon now cancelled

Its about time they saw sense but how many have been affected by the two changes of date with regard to hotel/flight bookings. I'm still waiting for a voucher from Aer Fungus for the cancelled flight last April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Frankfurt went yesterday

I see that now. I guess the days of the big city marathons are a thing of the past for the next year or so anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Madrid went today Defered until 26th September 2021

Good indication that it's not a normal year in athletics when it takes a sub-14 minute 5k to win a Dublin Graded race.

If the results are correct, 13:53.65 for Seán Tobin (and a pb)

https://graded.dublinathletics.com/results.php?year=2020&graded=graded3&raceid=5000m_M_A1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Good indication that it's not a normal year in athletics when it takes a sub-14 minute 5k to win a Dublin Graded race.

If the results are correct, 13:53.65 for Seán Tobin (and a pb)

https://graded.dublinathletics.com/results.php?year=2020&graded=graded3&raceid=5000m_M_A1

I see from Strava that we had one or two decent performances from this parish too. Maybe not sub 14, but the 'normal person's' equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That’s the great thing about the graded meets - different standards available so anyone can show up and run some track in a non-judgemental environment. ;). In normal times anyway - not so much this year with restricted entry, but still a wide variety of standards.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    That’s the great thing about the graded meets - different standards available so anyone can show up and run some track in a non-judgemental environment. ;). In normal times anyway - not so much this year with restricted entry, but still a wide variety of standards.

That's it - despite the restricted entries, I think all of the Graded meetings had roughly same range of standards. There were fewer numbers in the middle but the standard of the A grades in the men's 1500m on the first night and men's 5000m last night were pretty impressive.

Men's 5k last night had 13 of 20 under 15mins in the A Grade (all 20 well under 16 and all but a couple in the B grade under 16 too) while in the men's CD race, 9 of the 24 finished over 20 minutes.

That's a pretty good spread.

Advertisement