Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Demand Control Ventilation

Options
  • 09-08-2020 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭

Moved into old house and noticed no air vents. Got stove in and have gas cooker.

Got BER inspector and was advised to gent vent in room with stove for starters.

However he recommended Demand Control Ventilation but said that it would cost approx €2k.

Going to get vent in room with stove for starters.

Emailed Green Oak energy waiting for quote. Is it overkill or long term worth it and what would be for installation for standard regular house

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Got below price wow and vat extra so nearly 3k

Just going to get air vent in for Stove and see how winter goes before deciding

For those who have it is it worth it?

Sitting room wall vent
    Install permanently open vent to serve stove in sitting room
    Includes internal & external grills

€120.00

Supply & install Aereco DCV System. specifications on next page
    Aereco Components €974.78
    Ducting , Tile vent & ancillary items €280.00
    Labour inc electrics €580.00
    Coring 4 no. wall vents €240.00

€2074.78

Install single room extract fan in kitchen
    S&P Filterless extract fan
    humidity sensitive, Constant running
    Include wiring -Surface conduit required
    Includes coring through wall

€400.00

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Out of curiosity, are DCV allowed instead of non closable vents for open flued stoves? I know a family member has them but stoves have separate air supply to outside. Even then I think they are outside the regs.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I'd put in a 'black hole' vent.

DGOBS wrote: »
    I'd put in a 'black hole' vent.

I just looked them up. Seems like a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

Wearb wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, are DCV allowed instead of non closable vents for open flued stoves? I know a family member has them but stoves have separate air supply to outside. Even then I think they are outside the regs.

taken from Tgds part J heat producing appliances

1.2.9 Permanent ventilation openings installed to comply with the requirements of this Part of the Building Regulations may serve, in whole or in part, to satisfy the ventilation requirements of Technical Guidance Document F of the Building Regulations. However, controllable background ventilation installed to comply with Technical Guidance Document F requirements should not be taken as contributing to the ventilation requirements specified in this Technical Guidance Document.

no you can use the permeant vent to comply with the ventilation strategy of the house in part F , but you cant use controlled ventilation to comply with part J

• Advertisement

dathi wrote: »
    taken from Tgds part J heat producing appliances

1.2.9 Permanent ventilation openings installed to comply with the requirements of this Part of the Building Regulations may serve, in whole or in part, to satisfy the ventilation requirements of Technical Guidance Document F of the Building Regulations. However, controllable background ventilation installed to comply with Technical Guidance Document F requirements should not be taken as contributing to the ventilation requirements specified in this Technical Guidance Document.

no you can use the permeant vent to comply with the ventilation strategy of the house in part F , but you cant use controlled ventilation to comply with part J

That seems to mean that you need a non closable vent to satisfy the combustion requirements of the stove/fireplace. How do you interpret it, or are they just contradictory regs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

Wearb wrote: »
    That seems to mean that you need a non closable vent to satisfy the combustion requirements of the stove/fireplace. How do you interpret it, or are they just contradictory regs?

yes you need a non closing vent to comply with part J of the building regulations which deals with the requirements for heat producing appliances, and this vent can be used to also show compliance with part F which deals with the whole house ventilation, ie. if you were relying on hole in wall vents to show compliance with part F you wouldn't need second vent in room. but in your case you can not use the DCV vent to show compliance for part J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

I have Aereco DCV in my house. Wouldn't be without it! I never have condensation in my house.

A black hole vent doesn't have a centralised extraction system, it just manages the airflow though the house a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jjames.mmurphy

Hello
    Aereco... would u rate it? Thinking of retro fitting it. Built new house in 2020 and moved in 6 months. Condensation every day. Just regular vents at the moment.

What kind of house do you have ?

Tefral wrote: »
    I have Aereco DCV in my house. Wouldn't be without it! I never have condensation in my house.

A black hole vent doesn't have a centralised extraction system, it just manages the airflow though the house a bit better.

Advertisement