Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Presidential Election 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Was that about the scientology stuff or am I mixing things up again?

Aye.

Its a black mark for sure.

I do think some of the other stuff is pretty tame and not that important in grand scheme of things, surely Libya and Harris's record are a bigger issues than her comments on Castro? .,,,but nobody bar GOP **** stirrers want to discuss that.

I think she went second fav behind Harris on Friday and then the hit pieces came and well you would not bet her with stolen money. It was fun when it lasted I suppose for her.:P

EDIT...Should also say the charge that she is a far left radical looks even more absurd when you remember that Pelosi noted Communist loves her.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,971 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Facebook and twitter have removed a clip from fox news of trump saying kids are practically immune from COVID.

It isn't hyperbole to say his handling of COVID killing people.

The US economy is teetering on the edge of a recession and he cannot do anything but double down on failed policies.

It's tragic.

I can only imagine how bad things will be in November.

This seems interesting.

https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/1290853945255047171?s=19

"Taking advantage of a man with mental issues to own the libs" is quite something.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »
    This seems interesting.

https://twitter.com/cam_joseph/status/1290853945255047171?s=19

"Taking advantage of a man with mental issues to own the libs" is quite something.

There are a bunch of well established GOP operatives working on his "campaign"
    Several other people active in the party are connected to Mr. West’s candidacy. One operative, Mark Jacoby, is an executive at a company called Let the Voters Decide, which has been collecting signatures for the West campaign in Ohio, West Virginia and Arkansas. Mr. Jacoby was arrested on voter fraud charges in 2008 while he was doing work for the California Republican Party, and he later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor.

Mr. Jacoby, in a statement, said his company was nonpartisan and worked for all political parties. “We do not comment on any current clients, but like all Americans, anyone who is qualified to stand for election has the right to run,” he said.
    On Wednesday, Vice reported that a Republican operative in Colorado, Rachel George, was helping Mr. West get on the ballot there. She did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

New York Magazine reported Monday evening on the campaign’s links to two other people with partisan ties. One is Gregg Keller, the former executive director of the American Conservative Union, who has been listed as a contact for the campaign in Arkansas. Mr. Keller, who did not respond to a message seeking comment, is a Missouri-based strategist. He was under consideration to be Mr. Trump’s campaign manager in 2015, a role that was ultimately filled by Corey Lewandowski, according to a former campaign official.

Another person linked to the West campaign is Chuck Wilton, who is listed as a convention delegate for Mr. Trump from Vermont and as an elector with the West operation who could potentially cast an Electoral College vote for Mr. West. Mr. Wilton could not be reached. He and his wife, Wendy, a Trump appointee at the United States Department of Agriculture, have been political supporters of the president. She hung up immediately when called at her office.

Wonderful people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I have a particular abhorrence of people who use anyone with mental issues. I know a few situations where such a person have been prompted in a certain direction. It's totally obnoxious.

Great to see Trump's Covid children tweet being taken down. Then it'll be used to feed the conspiracy theorists and deep state.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Water John wrote: »
    I have a particular abhorrence of people who use anyone with mental issues. I know a few situations where such a person have been prompted in a certain direction. It's totally obnoxious.

Great to see Trump's Covid children tweet being taken down. Then it'll be used to feed the conspiracy theorists and deep state.

What does it say about the abject sycophancy of Fox News that something they allowed to pass unchallenged was banned by Facebook and Twitter??

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

The Durham so called Spygate investigation will hopefully drop this month, those conspiracies theories are starting to look like conspiracy facts, how will CNN and the Trump haters spin it, going to be entertaining.

cnn.jpg

da_miser wrote: »
    The Durham so called Spygate investigation will hopefully drop this month, those conspiracies theories are starting to look like conspiracy facts, how will CNN and the Trump haters spin it, going to be entertaining.

cnn.jpg

My god.

How the penny hasn't dropped with some people that this guy is an utter BS artist will be one of the greatest mysteries of all time.

the election summarised perfectly.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1291898086541930503

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I think Bidens VP pick is crucial and more important than one in recent times. I say that because given Bidens age his VP would be the obvious choice for the dems in 2024 if Biden doesn't run. If the democrats get it right this election then it potentially sets them up for maybe the next two elections because even if trump loses in November he may not only lose the presidency, but the senate may fall and the house minority of the GOP may get worse.

And joe Biden as a former democratic VP is trying to do something that no democratic VP has done since JBL. That is of the democratic presidents since LBJ there have been three other democratic presidents in Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama. And all their VPs have ran for president in Hubert Humphrey in 1968, Walter Mondale in 1984, and Al gore in 2000 have failed to win. Joe Biden should be win would be the first democratic VP to do so in at least 50 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He’s speaking live.

Sounds like he’s drunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

everlast75 wrote:
    How the penny hasn't dropped with some people that this guy is an utter BS artist will be one of the greatest mysteries of all time.

Some of them irish, think we need a cull!

I think Biden is in a nice position right now, but I do wonder what betting fav Harris adds to the ticket. She absolutely bombed in the president race and its somewhat cynical to suggest that because she is black that black voters will flock to Biden. The black voters on that ticket would be earned by Biden and Obama.

She doesn't win Biden any states that he wasn't going to either.

Rice is a drab choice and won't go down well on the left, but seems like a safe choice as ticks plenty of boxes.

Whitmer who is somehow third fav atm would help in the states Biden needs to win, but it won't go down well if he does not pick a black woman especially after the few mistakes Biden has made recently.

I do like Tammy Duckworth and Keisha Lance Bottoms but not much buzz about either sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,599 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trump picks Fox News correspondent Steve Doocy as his running make in stunning move. Bold choice Mr. Vice President

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1292134017807126528?s=20

(TLDR Biden's physical health and wit are both intact. Its freaking hot outside.. and he's doing so in a mask, which must make the anti-maskers boil)

Have documented my issues with Biden tediously here, but for a 77 year old he has guns. He and Vince Mc Mahon must be chums. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,599 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Have documented my issues with Biden tediously here, but for a 77 year old he has guns. He and Vince Mc Mahon must be chums. :D

No Vince and Trump are. In fact, Vince was one of the strangest people I had heard of who advised Trump to reopen the economy in April

https://www.sbnation.com/wrestling/2020/4/15/21222367/vince-mcmahon-donald-trump-advising-economy-reopening-xfl-bankruptcy

McMahon and Trump are far from casual acquaintances. They both took part in WWE WrestleMania 23 in 2007 as part of an infamous hair vs. hair match. Trump was the victor there, shaving McMahon’s head in WWE’s biggest annual event. Trump later appointed Linda McMahon, former WWE CFO and Vince’s wife, to his cabinet, until 2019. She now runs the pro-Trump SuperPAC, America F1rst Action.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I think Biden is in a nice position right now, but I do wonder what betting fav Harris adds to the ticket. She absolutely bombed in the president race and its somewhat cynical to suggest that because she is black that black voters will flock to Biden. The black voters on that ticket would be earned by Biden and Obama.

She doesn't win Biden any states that he wasn't going to either.

Rice is a drab choice and won't go down well on the left, but seems like a safe choice as ticks plenty of boxes.

Whitmer who is somehow third fav atm would help in the states Biden needs to win, but it won't go down well if he does not pick a black woman especially after the few mistakes Biden has made recently.

I do like Tammy Duckworth and Keisha Lance Bottoms but not much buzz about either sadly.

Biden promised to pick a woman as his running mate. He never specified race/ethnicity.

So all the scuttlebutt about favourites that focus on African American women is misplaced basically trying to force his hand. If the woman has to be African American, why? Why not Latina?

Biden needs to think this one out very carefully and not just choose on the basis of tokenism, but on the basis of her being the best choice to do the job. If the VP is Black, Brown, White or whatever ought to be irrelevant!

One wonders was Whitmer's visit being leaked a hare? She, after all she is joint chair of his election.

Whitmer on paper actually helps Biden wins states he needs to especially compared to Harris, but their has been a lot of chatter about a black VP so from a PR POV would be odd if they went with a white lady especially in the current moment.

Overheal wrote: »
    No Vince and Trump are. In fact, Vince was one of the strangest people I had heard of who advised Trump to reopen the economy in April

https://www.sbnation.com/wrestling/2020/4/15/21222367/vince-mcmahon-donald-trump-advising-economy-reopening-xfl-bankruptcy

McMahon and Trump are far from casual acquaintances. They both took part in WWE WrestleMania 23 in 2007 as part of an infamous hair vs. hair match. Trump was the victor there, shaving McMahon’s head in WWE’s biggest annual event. Trump later appointed Linda McMahon, former WWE CFO and Vince’s wife, to his cabinet, until 2019. She now runs the pro-Trump SuperPAC, America F1rst Action.

Oh aye even a dumbo like me who has watched way to much WWE than is healthy are aware of their friendship.

Vince is a massive republican to say the least.

just joking that Biden's guns would even impress Vince who is still huge despite his age.

• Advertisement

Pretty bold tactic on Trump et al to attack Biden on making gaffes...

https://twitter.com/keithboykin/status/1292962923996942342?s=20

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That’s the irony of the attacks from Trumpites, Biden is in great shape for a man of his age.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Brian? wrote: »
    That’s the irony of the attacks from Trumpites, Biden is in great shape for a man of his age.

I’ve mentioned a few times that I don’t get Trump lying about his physical health and defending how he is so much. He’s an old man it’s okay to be not a physical specimen but he just can’t let anything go, my dad when he was trumps age would have gone down that ramp at West Point slower but he certainly wouldn’t have made embarrassing excuses And claimed he ran the last 10 feet or whatever it was. His ego is oddly frail and at the same time doesn’t seem to care that people know he’s full of it so long as he says he gets to say he isn’t then he appears to be able to be happy with himself. He’s a very strange man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

salmocab wrote: »
    I’ve mentioned a few times that I don’t get Trump lying about his physical health and defending how he is so much. He’s an old man it’s okay to be not a physical specimen but he just can’t let anything go, my dad when he was trumps age would have gone down that ramp at West Point slower but he certainly wouldn’t have made embarrassing excuses And claimed he ran the last 10 feet or whatever it was. His ego is oddly frail and at the same time doesn’t seem to care that people know he’s full of it so long as he says he gets to say he isn’t then he appears to be able to be happy with himself. He’s a very strange man.

I don't think this is unique to Trump though: elderly male billionaires often seem incapable of letting go or ageing gracefully; looking to the likes of Trump, Bernie Eccleston (though at least he lets his hair by grey), Sheldon Aldeson (a GOP donor), Mick Jagger, etc etc. The dyed hair, the pulled skin, the inappropriately aged spouse and so on. It's not universal mind you, but perhaps if one spends a lifetime portraying a certain type of power through bravado soaked charisma, it's hard to let that go and accept you're getting old. The issue doesn't seem to be present with (say) Bill Gates, though he never presented any of the kind of "Alpha Male" nonsense you see with Trump either. Trump seems particularly brittle though; if one took things personal in an argument, I doubt it would require much to wind him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't think this is unique to Trump though: elderly male billionaires often seem incapable of letting go or ageing gracefully; looking to the likes of Trump, Bernie Eccleston (though at least he lets his hair by grey), Sheldon Aldeson (a GOP donor), Mick Jagger, etc etc. The dyed hair, the pulled skin, the inappropriately aged spouse and so on. It's not universal mind you, but perhaps if one spends a lifetime portraying a certain type of power through bravado soaked charisma, it's hard to let that go and accept you're getting old. The issue doesn't seem to be present with (say) Bill Gates, though he never presented any of the kind of "Alpha Male" nonsense you see with Trump either. Trump seems particularly brittle though; if one took things personal in an argument, I doubt it would require much to wind him up.

No not unique I suppose I just find it an odd personality trait. It probably comes from being surrounded by yes men all the time. I like that I see alpha male and Trump in the same sentence so often, it makes me laugh because he’s not an alpha male by any stretch,

Well the VP pick is Kamela Harris. Bold choice, not a Sarah Palin, the last bold choice. Let's see what they try throwing at her.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/11/kamala-harris-joe-biden-vp-running-mate-election-2020-vice-president

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I named Biden / Harris 18 months ago. She's the ideal candidate to head the ticket in 2024 when Uncle Joe steps down.

Can't wait to see her debate Pence. If it is Pence!

Ah Pence won't do a one to one meeting with her. He'll have to have a third person in the room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The conservative (small C) but ultimately unsurprising choice. Harris' record as prosecutor might be used against her and no doubt the harder liberal clique won't be happy. Given Bidens age and if he wins, it'll be interesting to see just how much of a public profile Harris would get, with an eye towards 2024

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Water John wrote: »
    Well the VP pick is Kamela Harris. Bold choice, not a Sarah Palin, the last bold choice. Let's see what they try throwing at her.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/11/kamala-harris-joe-biden-vp-running-mate-election-2020-vice-president

Best attack lines on her will be the ones that will backfire against other arguments.

Her biggest negative is that she wasn't strong enough against the police will clash against 'Dems hate police & love looting' narrative.

She has been well vetted from past campaigns but I presume some far right media will come out with some outlandish affair story (that have been bubbling already). I don't see how that sticks against a VP with any undecideds with Trump's long history in that area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement