Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rewiring

• 04-08-2020 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭

I’m looking at buying a large bungalow built around 1970. I haven’t looked at the wiring in much detail yet. The sockets look ok, modern enough but the fuse board is definitely old school fuses. The house hasn’t been lived in, in 5 years. What is needed to get the power back on if I purchase? Is a total rewire needed for a system 45 years old? I’m guessing that at least the board needs changing.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    IThe sockets look ok, modern enough

Means nothing.
    Is a total rewire needed for a system 45 years old?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

2011 wrote: »
    Means nothing.

Yes

Ok thanks.
    The newer cable is slightly larger due to the earth being sleeved. Does this mean the old conduits can’t be used?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok thanks.
    The newer cable is slightly larger due to the earth being sleeved. Does this mean the old conduits can’t be used?

Impossible to say for sure but you any be ok as the new cables are marginally larger.

Impossible to say for sure but you any be ok as the new cables are marginally larger.

Sorry is there a typo in there?

Sorry is there a typo in there?

Yes :) It should read:

Impossible to say for sure, but you may be ok as the new cables are only marginally larger.

My eyesight isn’t what I was and I keep mistyping on my phone!

• Advertisement

Yes :) It should read:

Impossible to say for sure, but you may be ok as the new cables are only marginally larger.

My eyesight isn’t what I was and I keep mistyping on my phone!

Thanks for your help. It’d be a total sickener to rechase a house when there’s already conduit in the walls

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭gk5000

Thanks for your help. It’d be a total sickener to rechase a house when there’s already conduit in the walls
    You could have difficulty if its oval conduit especially for the 2.5 sq socket circuits. 2 cables barely fit in a 20 mm round conduit.

I don't know how professionals manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is there definitely conduits there already?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

gk5000 wrote: »
    You could have difficulty if its oval conduit especially for the 2.5 sq socket circuits. 2 cables barely fit in a 20 mm round conduit.

I don't know how professionals manage it.

Fairy liquid or worst case for me butter as it was a big fear of mine and the smell.... Ugh...

astrofool wrote: »
    Is there definitely conduits there already?

Good point. I ‘assume’ there is. Were conduits Used in the 70’s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

If the power off you need get reliable electrician have a look.
    there is no way modern trips work with 1970 wiring as in olds days earths could be left hanging.
    Saying that it is possible but may be cheaper to rewire...

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭3d4life

.... in olds days earths could be left hanging...

and cables sometimes 'contained' using long grooved lengths of timber. - Some here must have seen this.

When did PVC conduit become 'the thing' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's doubtful any conduits were used in the build, they didn't come into more widespread use till the late 90's/00's.

astrofool wrote: »
    It's doubtful any conduits were used in the build, they didn't come into more widespread use till the late 90's/00's.

Not my experience.
    I found conduits used more often than not in far older houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Fairy liquid or worst case for me butter as it was a big fear of mine and the smell.... Ugh...
    Yellow 77 might be more appropriate.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Yellow 77 might be more appropriate.

What’s that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Talcum powder is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

What’s that?
    It's a lubricant specifically designed for pulling cables through conduits. Made by Ideal Industries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Not my experience.
    I found conduits used more often than not in far older houses.

Very old wiring often used far better conduit than you’d specify nowadays. I’ve seen old installations with metal conduit that looked more or less like plumbing and carried cloth insulated singles.

They were much more concerned about fire risk from deteriorating cable or rodent damage in the very old days because of the materials used for insulation.

Post 1970s PVC insulated cables and wires led to much less focus on that.

There were also very loose regulations and the rules seem to to have varied depending on the contractor. Some old installations are extremely high spec, others are borderline dangerous and sloppy.

It’s hard to just say an installation is bad or good just based on the era it was carried out, particularly when you consider the regulation regime was very laissez faire.

Advertisement