Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New pump tripping circuit breaker.

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Why is your garage on a Type D MCB?

Good question.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

sundodger5 wrote: »
    L to E .620 M ohms Similar N to E and for the craic L to N 16.5 ohms.
    Although a previous reading gave .840 M ohms E to N and L.

Just to be clear:

Are you saying that when you test the insulation resistance between L & E on the pump you get 0.62 M Ohms? If this is the reading it is a fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

2011 wrote: »
    Just to be clear:

Are you saying that when you test the insulation resistance between L & E on the pump you get 0.62 M Ohms? If this is the reading it is a fail.

I have noticed appliances sometimes have capacitive links to earth for EMC compliance which give you these kind of readings. Would look like there is something amiss with that pump though.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    I have noticed appliances sometimes have capacitive links to earth for EMC compliance which give you these kind of readings. Would look like there is something amiss with that pump though.

A multimeter or Meggar is DC so it will be blind to a capacitive link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭sundodger5

2011 wrote: »
    Just to be clear:

No it is not an IR test just a reading with a Multimeter.
    Have someone calling who has access to a megger hopefully tomorrow.
    As for the why that trip is on the garage, i have no clue and do not understand the significance of it tbh.

• Advertisement

No it is not an IR test just a reading with a Multimeter.
    Have someone calling who has access to a megger hopefully tomorrow.
    As for the why that trip is on the garage, i have no clue and do not understand the significance of it tbh.

Yes, so most likely the Meggar will produce an even worse reading as the applied voltage is so much higher. Is the RCD is tripping? If so this could explain why.

Yes RCD is tripping even with a brand new pump.
    Previous posters pointed to an IR test at this point. I just need to be sure before sending pump back under warranty.

Yes RCD is tripping even with a brand new pump.
    Previous posters pointed to an IR test at this point. I just need to be sure before sending pump back under warranty.

Sorry I don’t have time to read the entire thread but have you attempted to power it from a different RCD??

no, did try to power it from a different cable. Still tripped that RCD.
    In my non expert head based on what we have eliminated so far it looks like faulty pump or iffy RCD. My Expert will hopefully clarify and i will post the solution when i find out.
    Might help the next fella.

IR tester came and the new pump is faulty. Mystery solved.
    Just my luck to get a dud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Frankx

IR tester came and the new pump is faulty. Mystery solved.
    Just my luck to get a dud.

Unexpected outcome

Hopefully it's not something else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Frankx wrote: »
    Unexpected outcome

Hopefully it's not something else

What would you have suspected here?

Bruthal wrote: »
    What would you have suspected here?

Was playing devils advocate as the pump is new

There's a chance the pump was incorrectly wired or fault on the cabling from the socket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Frankx wrote: »
    Was playing devils advocate as the pump is new

There's a chance the pump was incorrectly wired or fault on the cabling from the socket

There was, but once the ohms test showed high readings Phase to E and N to earth, and low Phase to N, that indicated the pump was correctly wired to the plug the OP had setup.

Faulty cable would often, or usually, trip an RCD without the actual load connected to it being on.

Bruthal wrote: »
    There was, but once the ohms test showed high readings Phase to E and N to earth, and low Phase to N, that indicated the pump was correctly wired to the plug the OP had setup.

Faulty cable would often, or usually, trip an RCD without the actual load connected to it being on.

Probably right but all we have is bits of information from a non electrician

It's probable that an IR test was done correctly and proved the new pump is faulty

IR test done by a guy who does a lot of work commissioning pump stations etc. So i assume it was ok.

IR test done by a guy who does a lot of work commissioning pump stations etc. So i assume it was ok.

Should be fine in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hope you’ve no hassle getting replacement having shortened the cable. Sellers can be finicky with stuff like that.

Advertisement