Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I’ve just read that article, it’s one of the sickest/saddest articles I’ve read in a while. If it’s true, there’s some cruel and sadistic practices going on in that place.

I truly hope it will lead to a complete overhaul of the entire place. I’m not even laying all blame on the workers, if there’s systemic failings, poor resources, low budgets etc..it all needs to be addressed and fixed.

Those poor, terrified dogs :( let the rescues take them and work their magic With them before condemning them to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭tk123

To lighten the mood, I just love that lotto ad on atm where the guy's heart melts petting the horse! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I love the ad showing the different videos showing people’s pet not how to wear masks. Not seen the lotto one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

New regulations in Germany drawn up to ensure dogs needs are met on a daily basis.

"Pets are not cuddly toys, their needs have to be taken into account," Agriculture Minister Julia Klöckner said about the planned changes adding pets must get sufficient exercise and not be left alone for too long.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53839286

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just got 2 of my cats to come in from the storm. Amazes how much water the coat of a long hair can hold. And NO! Boycat is NOT coming under the covers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

Great to see you back Grace, Hope you and all cats are well.

budgese wrote: »
    It's been six months since we lost Amelia, so much has changed since, but tonight I got a pang in my heart for my little kitty. I was pouring out a bowl of milk for the elderly tomcat when the Newfie puppy saw, so I was then pouring out milk for him when the kitten (9 months old, not small) pounced from God knows where and landed WHAM on my neck I miss Amelia because she used to do these things but calculated. She only had four weeks with the Newf before she played chicken with a car outside. I love my kitten that I got to replace her, and maybe even more that kitten's mother cat who wasn't part of the plan but ended up coming too; but none of them are Amelia. My kitten, CeCe, is exceptionally pretty, she outshines my beautiful little girl in that, but they are all so different. I will never have my Amelia back.

It is like that with my Beata. Then one of the newer ones does something she used to do..Wee Selkie comes into my bed and curls up to sleep in the curve of my body. Beata always did that. But it does comfort me. Selkie is a street rescue. part Oriental and another of those part human cats. YOU know!

sdp wrote: »
    Great to see you back Grace, Hope you and all cats are well.

Thanks. May not be for long; age related health issues are starting to limit me.

But how could I stay away from the weather forum with Ellen around! What a storm. WOW!
    And of course I came here!

The storm is officially OVER. Jacob -cat came home ! I had been out calling him often and just now he responded. YAY! There are ruined sheds here so always cover but, well YOU know! He had been away three days,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I heard a racket outside yesterday evening. There was my 20 year old cat spitting her head off at a strange cat. I doubt she could much, but she puts up a good show. I brought her inside before she got into any trouble.

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    Rocket the kitten is here nearly 3 weeks, wrestling dogs now and playing chase, but the cats are still not impressed, they avoid him, even for treats. Hoping they'll settle soon.

Tonto has been here well over a year and my other cats are still no nearer accepting him. No real aggression, just feline cold- shouldering. He allows them to steal his food..

The last few days I keep losing track of whether one of the young cats is in or out, Thought old age was stealing more of ,my memory then realised that she is " nesting" atop the highest kitchen cupboard, JUST enough space for her but how she gets up there!

She then crashlands on the draining board.

Just been out after blackberries, followed by several of the cats, and watching them interact! We think WE have relationship issues!

Selkie is back on high after her breakfast! She is part Oriental, this street rescue ,and reminds me of my Siamese breeding days with her quick mind.

Deep silence of well fed cats reigns... Raw chicken! YUM!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Graces can i just say, in a world of Covid and Phil Hogan , its good to have you back.

dashoonage wrote: »
    Graces can i just say, in a world of Covid and Phil Hogan , its good to have you back.
    #
    roflol! Thank you! Love to share. PS That PH has me yelling at the computer something I NEVER do! Will not repeat what I shout!

My cats tell me the weather is going to be appalling as it is already.

Bella has taken refuge in a snug-fitting cardboard box.... Selkie is on her high perch.. Oliver has discovered that Boycat makes a wonderful hot water bottle so they are scrunched up on the kitchen chair and Jacob has vanished under the table.

Leaving me cold and without a cat! Not fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dahdum

I second what dashoonage said - it is wonderful to have you back Graces7. Genuinely missed reading your posts.

Dahdum wrote: »
    I second what dashoonage said - it is wonderful to have you back Graces7. Genuinely missed reading your posts.

Kind! I am trying first to keep my weblog going as that covers all themes so if I get too unwell again? see my signature file for that.

The cats are forecasting weather now; all out tonight so it will be fine. lol.... You have heard of the Donegal postman? Meet the Mayo felines!

Oh the 2 older ones are in to eat..

PS it was horrible in the house with no cats ; not " home" at all.

Not doing too well and after a few bad nights slept like the proverbial log the night the "wind and water" event started.

Woke in the small hours, and lay there, feeling cosy and warm as the weather howled.. Then suddenly.. "THE CATS!"

I had not let them in before I fell asleep. OH MY!

Rolled out of bed and when I opened the door, the tide of furry bodies flowed in like a flood.... Guilt alleviated by food and a good towelling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

How often should a young healthy neutered fully-indoor cat go to the vet? She's about 3 years old and I haven't brought her there since I got her when she was about a year old. Also, any rough idea of price for a check-up? Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I only bring my 13 year old female cat to the vet when she is sick, which is basically never. I think our last vet visit was about 10 years ago. She in indoor/outdoor, a prolific hunter, so regular worm treatment and occasional flea treatment. Visitors always comment on how healthy she looks.

I suppose it depends on the cat. Vet visits are so stressful for my cat, that I would only take her if it’s essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

How often should a young healthy neutered fully-indoor cat go to the vet? She's about 3 years old and I haven't brought her there since I got her when she was about a year old. Also, any rough idea of price for a check-up? Thanks!!

We bring our two annually for their shots and they get a checkup then.

My two older ones have not seen a vet since they were neutered. One is 16 and the other at least 8.

The three younger ones were fixed before they came here. Tonto? lol...

I do not vaccinate as we are so isolated.

Like most here only at real need; and I am the same with my own health.

AAAARRRGGGHHH!

SOMEONE peed in my shoe. I needed the bathroom in the night and when I pushed my foot in... YUKK!

There was only one cat in..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Is anyone watching the Bearman of Buncranna? It’s worth a watch. On rte1 now, nearly finished but you’ll catch it on plus 1 at half 9 if your interested.

Is anyone watching the Bearman of Buncranna? It’s worth a watch. On rte1 now, nearly finished but you’ll catch it on plus 1 at half 9 if your interested.

Thank you for this. I had been wondering what had happened to the man setting up a wild life reserve in Ireland and here he is!

There are various items on youtube etc so a lovely way to pass a wild-weather day.

Wonderful.. There are wolves in various places eg leitrim and a wolf running loose in the wilds of Kerry startled me. The man who kept it ( licensed etc) used to let it run loose in the early mornings. It crossed the lane in front of me one day.

Adding the Donegal venture to my "wish list" …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

OMG no way, our two would be howling & barking up a storm. I did manage to teach them to ignore life at the zoo, walks with my dogs & the super vet but don’t have the energy to do it again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Question for cat experts: we've been adopted by a third cat - in the process of taming her - shes a sweetheart... Question is whether I can do something to prevent rescue #2 (ex-feral) from bullying the newcomer? She chases the new cat off the property every chance she gets. Can I "chastise" a cat for unwanted behaviour????? :D I shout at the bully if she starts throwing shapes or I stand between her and the new arrival before anything escalates. Ive stroked the bully while the new one is around, and will take her in for food etc. Ive stroked the new arrival while the bully is around to show (hah!) that I think shes welcome... I can leave them to work it out themselves, but I dont want any injuries (to either) and I dont want #2 to drive the new one away permanently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

You can check out Jackson Galaxy on youtube for tips on introducing 2 cats to each other. I think the main point is that discouraging cats doesn't work. You need to reward behavouir that you want. So feed them on either side of a door to introduce them at first. Then give treats if #2 ignores new cat. Playing with both cats together will also encourage familiarity but that might be a bit too far down the road for now. Start with the food first. Food is usually a huge thing for cats so once they can eat in the same room without murdering each other it's a fantastic start.

Advertisement