Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Entry Level Divers

• 17-05-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Hi all

I had a thread a while ago looking at Grand Seiko vs Oyster Perpetual. Still the plan to buy a GS but can't drop that amount of cash without trying on so it will probably be next year (trip to a Boutique in London) as Weirs haven't a huge amount of stock

In the mean time to scratch the itch a few divers have caught my eye. Easy to justify this, take 10-15 hundred from the GS fund and replace by this time next year (you lot are a bad influence on this forum lurker :D)

Two in particular have caught my eye

- Longines HydroConquest (L3.781.4.96.6)
    - Oris Clean Ocean

Really like the Oris, silly thing but prefer no actual numbers on the dial vs the Longines. However it is c600 quid more expensive than the Longines

Just looking for some opinions on the above 2 watches and any further recommendations in that kind of price range. Looked at some 2nd hand Tudor Pelagos but not entry level, probably outside budget and (obviously taste is subjective but) I find it very stale tbh (though I'm sure it's a fantastic piece of workmanship)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭banie01

For entry level, I'd honestly recommend something like a micro-brand for you.
    HKed with their Nemo(He also does an Emperor that is lovely but out of stock), Hamtun Kraken (The GMT option looks lovely), Any of the Steinhart Divers, Same with Dan Henry, a lot of really nice options there too.

Most of those watches will also have the benefit of not taking an immediate huge hit on value should you decide to sell on too.
    Watches on that tier really do tend to maintain @70-80%; of their value fairly easily should you decide to part with it(Some even more TBH, Steinhart in particular really seem to hold their price)

I forgot about the Precista royal navy diver repro, that's a lovely piece too and quite rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd go second hand tbh. You'd get it for a good bit off RRP and if you want to sell next year you won't lose a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

They're a brand that's forgotten about a bit but in that tier I love the Rado Captain Cook. They are also part of Swatch group like Oris and would be of a similar quality. They have an 80 hour power reserve too, albeit at the expense of the movement being at 22k beats. You can't go wrong with the Oris though, great value watches. I'm not really a fan of the Longines divers myself but love the brand.

The thing about Steinhart is the quality is good but I'm just not into homage watches. I know they have lots of fans on here and if you don't mind that sort of thing they'd probably be a good buy and you wouldn't take as much out of your GS budget either.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭CarProblem

Hi

Sorry - just to clarify. Plan to keep it when I buy the GS next year, not flip it

Apologises for not being more clear

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

CarProblem wrote: »
    Hi

Sorry - just to clarify. Plan to keep it when I buy the GS next year, not flip it

Think it was a snowflake you were after?

There is a GS on adverts if it’s off interest. https://www.adverts.ie/20352824

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hi

No one ever plans on flipping ;) We all buy to keep but at some point we all realize a few watches in, that the watch we had to have isn't been worn as much anymore.

None of the suggestions are "buy to flip" rather they are buy what you like and be fairly confident IF you decide to move it on you haven't lost a lot and basically can justify any loss as a "rental" fee ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What about Seiko, lots of choices for less money than a Hydroconquest.

Another microbrand worth a look might be Nth. There's one for sale in Germany priced at $600.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-nth-devil-ray-lnib-5173195.html

Edit Seller can do this at €500+shipping

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

893bet wrote: »
    Think it was a snowflake you were after?

There is a GS on adverts if it’s off interest. https://www.adverts.ie/20352824

That’s yummylicious

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

To go Hi Beat or Spring Drive, that is the question. I'm greedy and want both, that's my problem. Sometimes GS take the decision out of your hands. I'm not 100 percent but fairly sure that you can only get the snowflake and skyflake with Spring Drive; and that class blue dial one with all the symbols (I don't know what it's called) is high beat only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

redlead wrote: »
    To go Hi Beat or Spring Drive, that is the question. I'm greedy and want both, that's my problem. Sometimes GS take the decision out of your hands. I'm not 100 percent but fairly sure that you can only get the snowflake and skyflake with Spring Drive; and that class blue dial one with all the symbols (I don't know what it's called) is high beat only.

One thing I don't like about the spring drive is the power gauge on the dial.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    One thing I don't like about the spring drive is the power gauge on the dial.

Yeah I agree with you there. They are such fantastic dials that the less on them the better.

Ordered the Oris Clean Ocean from Chrono 24 after

Offer below sellers asking accepted so its the cheapest EU based model on the site (though of course other sellers may give a discount too). Works out over 20% lower than RRP so I'd assume Weir's wouldn't have matched. In any case I'm happy with the watch and price and I should have it the week after next

Thanks for the advice/recommendations. I'll be back next year when I go to buy my Skyflake :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

"Entry level" has a completely different meaning in this forum!

NIMAN wrote: »
    "Entry level" has a completely different meaning in this forum!

Yeah I guess when "affordable" is the tier below entry level then you'd wonder how much of an entry level it is. The term is really entry level luxury watch. It's all relative; to some people a 5k euro watch is a cheap plaything. I've seen Producer Michael describe a solid gold President as a good daily wearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Ordered the Oris Clean Ocean from Chrono 24 after

Offer below sellers asking accepted so its the cheapest EU based model on the site (though of course other sellers may give a discount too). Works out over 20% lower than RRP so I'd assume Weir's wouldn't have matched. In any case I'm happy with the watch and price and I should have it the week after next

Thanks for the advice/recommendations. I'll be back next year when I go to buy my Skyflake :D

Hold on a sec you don't get out that easy. Pictures at least are mandatory in return for the sage advice :pac:

Best of luck with the new beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I recently got the Orient Kamasu for é220 that's what I would consider an entry level automatic diver.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

dinorebel wrote: »
    I recently got the Orient Kamasu for é220 that's what I would consider an entry level automatic diver.

Yeah thats what I'd consider entry level too.

Perhaps me and you don't belong in this forum!;)

Edit: @dinorebel, never seen that Kamasu before, its a lovely looking watch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Waiting patiently for the entry-level Boards.ie €5/month subscription so you can change your username to “WatchProblem”

Hi all

quick on this that people may know the answer to

(Layman's description warning) The strap on this watch is connected to the lug by screws, however after a few wears they become loose and I lost one. Brought it to Fast Fix and they said the screws are unique to either Oris or possibly the watch itself. Also said "that simply shouldn't happen". Just wondering would anyone know:

- Would this be covered by the guarantee?
    - While I bought from Chrono 24 would any Oris AD honour the guarantee?
    - is it an easy fix or would it require being sent away?
    - Is Weir's the only AD in Dublin?

Thanks in advance

Weirs is the only AD in Ireland. Seems unusual. I guess a lot depends on whether you got the papers with the purchase and is it still under warranty or not. If it is under warranty and you have the warranty card then it should be honoured at any AD. In saying that, I don't know if guarantees would cover that sort of thing. I very much doubt it would be expensive to fix if it's not covered.

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    Weirs is the only AD in Ireland. Seems unusual. I guess a lot depends on whether you got the papers with the purchase and is it still under warranty or not. If it is under warranty and you have the warranty card then it should be honoured at any AD. In saying that, I don't know if guarantees would cover that sort of thing. I very much doubt it would be expensive to fix if it's not covered.

It's under guarantee - have the card etc

Thanks - I'll call Weirs tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They might have screws there and fix it there and then, had a similar problem with a seiko years ago. Went in and they fixed it there and then, no charge.

Advertisement