Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Night

• 20-01-2020 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Any views about this poem (it is about the fear of going to sleep- and the greater fear of waking up)

(Please tell me if it is a terrible piece of work)

NIGHT

It is not really full of darkness.
    It justly seems that way.
    Perhaps unjust.
    But it seems that way.

In fairness, maybe, there is a dawn-
    so it is said

Not so sad
    A day; with light that can be almost confronted

not really

The night is hard - the dawn is worse.

But all know this - nothing new.

The night is hard because the dawn may come

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭km85264

Hi Adrian
    First of all congratulations on having the courage to post a personal poem up here, and please feel free to share your work any time.
    Poetry is a very personal thing and good versus bad is such a subjective thing. Ultimately, you need to be the arbiter of whether it’s good or not. Read it over ten times, put it away for a month and read it again. Does it still inspire the emotions in you that you had when you wrote it. Do all the sentences read smoothly?
    For me, I’m a short story writer, I would ask how you are engaging the reader. There’s a voice expressing despair but who’s voice is it? Paint us a picture of the narrator. Make us sympathetic to him and the emotion of his voice will ring stronger. Having said that, I’m not a poet, I’m probably not giving good poetry advice :-)
    Whatever you do, keep on writing, you know you’re good enough to post!! Enjoy it
    Kieran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

It sounds like a series of unfocused non sequiturs to me. It doesn't say anything.

Advertisement