Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What are you making just now?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

My attempt at making a Japanese Stone Lantern for the garden looks more than a little like something from Alien!! I still have to give it a white dry brushing to bring out the highlights and then cover it in yacht varnish.

Its made from various bits of wood and stone from the garden hot glued to make the basic shape, a tile for the base. Tinfoil and plastic to bulk it out and covered with Das Clay. The lights are all 1 euro solar jobs from the likes of Dealz. I also used a shot glass and a marble at the top to allow light to hit the solar panel at the top.

Paint is acrylic. I mixed a grey as the main colour then gave it a black wash to create shadows then dry brushed white and silver to bring out the highlights to give it a stone look. I'll rinse and repeat this until it looks right.

517114.jpg
    517115.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

My first endeavour in to pattern matching. Harder than I thought! The main body of the dress is four pieces so I managed to get the join at the front and back to pattern match but not at the sides, without changing the size of the dress and ruining the fit.

This is the Tilly & The Buttons ‘Cleo’ dress pattern. Was quite simple to follow the pattern, I’m a total beginner at dress making and it was challenging but manageable with careful sewing and concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

My first endeavour in to pattern matching. Harder than I thought! The main body of the dress is four pieces so I managed to get the join at the front and back to pattern match but not at the sides, without changing the size of the dress and ruining the fit.

This is the Tilly & The Buttons ‘Cleo’ dress pattern. Was quite simple to follow the pattern, I’m a total beginner at dress making and it was challenging but manageable with careful sewing and concentration.

Wow this is fab well done been sewing for years never tried a dress/trousers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Variations on face masks that are becoming a fashion item in some place eg Canada.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just be careful re: what material you choose, Graces, research published earlier this month showed that fleecy ones can actually be worse than not wearing a mask at all as that type of material breaks up the droplets and scatters them more.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Yes tightly woven 100% cotton is best and double layer and maybe an inner pocket for extra filter (eg dried waterbased babywipe). They say that virus lasts only 8 minutes on cotton as it absorbs outer layer and makes inactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Trying to make cheery cards to send to 2 soon-to-be Centarians :) [whom I don't know]

Made one for my centenarian in July, now thinking of a batch of cards for December!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've the same problem, 40 odd cards to send and zero inpiration.

Oooooh, Christmas Card making in September sounds very festive! :D

Let's.Do.It

...I'll bring the Cocoa :pac:

• Advertisement

More like, I always leave it at the last minute and end up with a rushed job. Some planning ahead wouldn't go amiss.

Tis this covid thing, so much cancelled/deferred, more time on our hands and need to keep some project ticking over. Autumn feel to days too....oh dear. At least shops are open again to replenish supplies.

Agree there... and creativity keeps the mind off anxiety over the unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Voltairey

New Home wrote: »
    I've the same problem, 40 odd cards to send and zero inpiration.

This thread has great ideas! I must remember to design some cards soon.

I extracted a huge amount of clay recently. I made a few nice pieces for gifts but I'm in the process of building a wheel so I'm keeping the rest stored for now! It's all v time-consuming so I might get around to it in a few months. Luckily the clay is extremely fine so it'll be ok for the while.

First of Christmas cards.... I get blank cards and envelopes from Art and Hobby shop.

Just lovely Garlinge!

Impressive paint skills you have!

Every year I miss out on participating in Incognito, I doubt if I have the skills, but it does look especially appealing!

New Home wrote: »
    Just be careful re: what material you choose, Graces, research published earlier this month showed that fleecy ones can actually be worse than not wearing a mask at all as that type of material breaks up the droplets and scatters them more.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083.full

Please worry not' they are being made by real experts who have researched it all very very carefully as these are being sold at good prices. My role is to knit the outer shell only then send them off to head office. For lining and the rest.

A friend of well over fifty years asked me to knit a pullover for her husband; sleeveless, v neck. It was the first time I have knitted a serious garment to a pattern for many years as I invented the market items myself .. quite arduous mentally..Looks good though

Onto wide bands that they are using as base for masks.. I just work what will be useful these days.

Cables and twists etc.

• Advertisement

Back making masks again .... early users are reordering and now have good supply of materials including metal nose pieces and lots of elastic. I think a set of masks fresh one for each day is a good idea.

From dozens of wide bands to elbow length cabled fingerless mittens.. Knitting is so seasonal...

I am having to reinvent the pattern I used, using one already made to work from... Royal blue..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LaraDo

Rings!

Advertisement