Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guitar issue

• 20-06-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

If strings on an electric guitar sound muted, even when played open, and you can't hear a change in note until you get further up the fretboard, what might possibly be the issue?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Sounds like the neck might be bowed. Have you adjusted the truss rod?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No, I don't know how. Is it an easy fix?

OK, had a quick Google. I hope that's the fix it needs. There's an instrument shop in a local mall so I'll bring it there.

It's a relatively straight-forward fix. What kind of guitar is it? The truss rod cover is usually on the headstock. Pop it off and then all you need is the correct size Allen Key to turn the truss rod.

Passenger wrote: »
    It's a relatively straight-forward fix. What kind of guitar is it? The truss rod cover is usually on the headstock. Pop it off and then all you need is the correct size Allen Key to turn the truss rod.

It's a very basic second hand Aria STG

Thanks for your help!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Did this happen suddenly, or was this a guitar that was sitting around for a while? Adjusting the truss rod is straight forward, though you can cause issues if you're not careful.

• Advertisement

feylya wrote: »
    Did this happen suddenly, or was this a guitar that was sitting around for a while? Adjusting the truss rod is straight forward, though you can cause issues if you're not careful.

I bought it 2nd hand. It sounds like it was lying around from speaking with the previous owner. An unwanted gift.
    Also I'm in the middle East so changes in temperature between air con going on and off probably doesn't help. I also carried it to my house in 30 degree heat for 20 mins

Ah ok. Yeah, loosening the truss rod, a quarter of a turn at a time, retuning and letting it rest of 30 minutes should bring it back to bowing in the correct way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Look down the neck from the bridge.

if you ca see all the frets lining up nicely then leave the truss rod alone.

if you can see up to the middle of the neck then the rest are over the horizon, then that's a truss rod issue.

Or maybe the bridge is just silly low.

Don't overdo attacking the trussrod, little bit at a time......

Well I don't have an allan key to do the adjustment anyway so I'm still gonna bring it to the instrument store tomorrow and let them have a look. I need to pick up a few other bits so might as well.

Thank you all very much. I'll let ye know how I get on

I've always found the DIY way of maintaining instruments to be very advantageous. Learning how to set up a guitar will stand you in good stead if your ever encounter any issues. You can even buy a cheap set of tools on ebay or Amazon.

• Advertisement

Passenger wrote: »
    I've always found the DIY way of maintaining instruments to be very advantageous. Learning how to set up a guitar will stand you in good stead if your ever encounter any issues. You can even buy a cheap set of tools on ebay or Amazon.

I was always good with my drum kit but this is the first electric guitar I've ever had. Can't be ****ing it up just yet :pac:

Got it all sorted. The guy did the service for free and threw in an allan key also and explained what I should do for the next time. So glad it was something simple

Sounds like a decent place. For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of Haze's sketchy setup guides https://hazeguitars.com/sketchysetups (No affiliation, just a fan of his work)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

feylya wrote: »
    Sounds like a decent place. For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of Haze's sketchy setup guides https://hazeguitars.com/sketchysetups (No affiliation, just a fan of his work)

Got one of those at the weekend!

Advertisement