Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

looksee wrote: »
    Yarn hording, or wool lust, is a skill all on its own. You can successfully acquire boxes full of yarn that will never become a garment or object, and a real sign of the genuine horder is the presence of single balls of gorgeous yarn that you just had to have one of, even though one ball is rarely enough to do anything useful with.
    I knit cardigans for babies and use my left over yarns for a stripe on the front and on the sleeves . The mams all love the little striped cardigans

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Can people tell me what yarns they tend to use for children's knits?

I have misguidedly agreed to knit a stripey jumper for my son who wants melange type effect or "speckles" but all that type of wool seems to be quite expensive? I've no interest in buying €70 worth of wool for him!

It can't be itchy either which is why I tend to stay away from pure acrylics, but at this point my head is wrecked looking at wool online and I am open to all suggestions!!

Pattern says I'll need about 1200m of wool; it is this pattern if you are interested: - https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-montrealer

Designer's wool suggestions are way too expensive.

Thank you for reading!

ellee wrote: »
    Can people tell me what yarns they tend to use for children's knits?

I have misguidedly agreed to knit a stripey jumper for my son who wants melange type effect or "speckles" but all that type of wool seems to be quite expensive? I've no interest in buying €70 worth of wool for him!

It can't be itchy either which is why I tend to stay away from pure acrylics, but at this point my head is wrecked looking at wool online and I am open to all suggestions!!

Pattern says I'll need about 1200m of wool; it is this pattern if you are interested: - https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-montrealer

Thank you for reading!

I am knitting for a baby now and using Kingcole Cherish double knitting ( Anti piling acrylic )
    I got it in Springwools in Ballymount but the also do online sales. They have speckled and stripey wool too

https://springwools.com/yarns/king-cole-cherished-dk-100g.html

The also do a cotton soft crush which is 100% cotton

https://springwools.com/yarns/king-cole-cottonsoft-crush-dk.html

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am knitting for a baby now and using Kingcole Cherish double knitting ( Anti piling acrylic )
    I got it in Springwools in Ballymount but the also do online sales. They have speckled and stripey wool too

https://springwools.com/yarns/king-cole-cherished-dk-100g.html

The also do a cotton soft crush which is 100% cotton

https://springwools.com/yarns/king-cole-cottonsoft-crush-dk.html

I’ll check it out. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I’ll check it out. Thank you

Springwools are the bees knees! They donate oddments ti several charities; Realised this week they have been giving huge boxes here for 13years.

Yday a gift arrived from a friend; massive box of yarn from Springwools YAY!

• Advertisement

They're quite close to me actually, I should get off my lazy arse and go in to them :D

Lovecrafts have a big sale by the way - 40% off if you buy 10 balls (*selected yarn only)! Plus other offers...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am a bit confused by the suggestion that 'pure acrylic' is itchy and looking for wool as an alternative? Wool is itchy, I have never come across an acrylic with that problems (that's not to say there are none, those with a glitter thread can be scratchy rather than itchy). Some acrylics can have other issues, like pilling, but they are otherwise nice to wear.

I am a bit confused by the suggestion that 'pure acrylic' is itchy and looking for wool as an alternative? Wool is itchy, I have never come across an acrylic with that problems (that's not to say there are none, those with a glitter thread can be scratchy rather than itchy). Some acrylics can have other issues, like pilling, but they are otherwise nice to wear.

I knit for babies and use 100% acrylic . I wash them before use in a sink full of Fairy comfort conditioner and give it a good soak in it . Then i rinse it well and put it on a quick rinse and spin cycle
    They are never itchy or scratchy and smell wonderful too

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

It depends on the acrylic and the wool, really. I've come across acrylics that you can nearly pick the plastic fibres out of, and some that are almost as soft as Merino.

I prefer natural fibres, but that's because I feel better wearing them. I have just put in a huge knitpicks order for a load of acrylic for blankets though, and a Carbeth jumper for myself.

Sorry am not v knowledgeable about acrylic yarn, rather assumed it'd be itchy and sweaty?! Am a fairly new knitter.

I ordered a paintbox yarn in the end, it's 50/50 wool/acrylic. Gave up on speckles! Think the jumper will look better in block colours anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Sorry am not v knowledgeable about acrylic yarn, rather assumed it'd be itchy and sweaty?! Am a fairly new knitter.

I ordered a paintbox yarn in the end, it's 50/50 wool/acrylic. Gave up on speckles! Think the jumper will look better in block colours anyway.

Far more likely to run into an itchy wool than an itchy acrylic. The likes of Paintbox Simply, Stylecraft Special etc are beautifully soft and really easy to wash and tumbledry as well. It would normally be my go-to for baby bits. My eldest breaks out in hives if I put pure wool or alpaca next to her skin so acrylic or cotton is all that she can tolerate.

Yarn hording, or wool lust, is a skill all on its own. You can successfully acquire boxes full of yarn that will never become a garment or object, and a real sign of the genuine horder is the presence of single balls of gorgeous yarn that you just had to have one of, even though one ball is rarely enough to do anything useful with.

I had outside "help". When I was trading at a craft fair, a little old lady and her brother came and asked me if I would like some yarn..

Their mother had run a wool shop then died and the stock was all still there. And they wanted to clear and use the room.. Of course I said yes.

Thereafter for three months they came to town every week on the bus with six bin bags stuffed with yarn in the luggage compartment( free bus passes..)

Then boxes of buttons, needles, patterns etc...

It included luxury mohair by the bushel.. Filled a room where I was renting. Lined it with tables and they were filled and more under them.

Did them a favour and it helped our work.

Moving house was.... interesting.... a lot of charities and folk got gifts, including one 90 year old in Bantry still knitting for a local cause...

And in tandem, springwools with their odd ball gifts in yarns I could never afford...

Total happy addict...c

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Far more likely to run into an itchy wool than an itchy acrylic. The likes of Paintbox Simply, Stylecraft Special etc are beautifully soft and really easy to wash and tumbledry as well. It would normally be my go-to for baby bits. My eldest breaks out in hives if I put pure wool or alpaca next to her skin so acrylic or cotton is all that she can tolerate.

I cannot wear wool. Before they realised I am seriously allergic, I got days and days off school as a wool vest produced an impressive itchy rash :D Still would.

Sorry ' I missed part of this

Springwools have an excellent yarns page on their website. If you choose DK and scroll down there are some of the stripey/speckled yarns at a reasonable price. eg King Cole Vogue, Splash and a cotton Quatro.

You could also match a match a plain yarn with a flecked and do the borders in plain

who wants melange type effect or "speckles" but all that type of wool seems to be quite expensive? I've no interest in buying €70 worth of wool for him!

Thank you for reading![/QUOTE]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hi everyone

I'm looking for some help please. I've just dug out 7 and a bit 100 grams of tivoli chunky tweed wool and am looking for a plain pattern for a mans sweater, if anyone has any pointers?

Thanks!

Edit - got sorted via mail with mariaswoolshop.ie, really helpful and nice lady

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Sorry another basic question from me. Does anyone use the round knitting needles with interchangeable tips? I'm knitting some mens jumpers and find they get quite bulky on straight needles and came across the round interchangeable ones

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Stheno wrote: »
    Sorry another basic question from me. Does anyone use the round knitting needles with interchangeable tips? I'm knitting some mens jumpers and find they get quite bulky on straight needles and came across the round interchangeable ones

Thanks!
    I have a set of interchangeable circular needles. I love them. They screw on and also came with little tabs to keep knitting from falling off, if you take off the needles. Great for the airport, if you worried the needles may get confiscated, so you don't drop your stitches

Thanks!

I've not personally used them, but any hardcore knitters I know have at least one set :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I use both double points & interchangeables. Never use straights as I don’t knit blankets, I weave those. I love them & really love my little 3.75" tips.

https://www.thebaldysheep.ie/zing-delux-interchangeable-circular-needle-set

Does this look like an ok set to start with?

My next three projects are an Aran sweater, a cotton sweater, and then a merino silk blend sweater

• Advertisement

https://www.thebaldysheep.ie/zing-delux-interchangeable-circular-needle-set

Does this look like an ok set to start with?

My next three projects are an Aran sweater, a cotton sweater, and then a merino silk blend sweater

They are pretty good, I’ve a couple of sizes, but I prefer Chiagoo or HiyaHiya as I find the joins are far better. For the merino silk blends I tend to use the driftwood ones, don’t like the bamboo tips. My mum sent me a set of the Signiture Arts DPNS and have to say I absolutely love them, which is good because they are pretty dear. Don’t know if I ever get their interchangeable as really they aren’t because you’ve to get separate cords for each tip size.

em_cat wrote: »
    They are pretty good, I’ve a couple of sizes, but I prefer Chiagoo or HiyaHiya as I find the joins are far better. For the merino silk blends I tend to use the driftwood ones, don’t like the bamboo tips. My mum sent me a set of the Signiture Arts DPNS and have to say I absolutely love them, which is good because they are pretty dear. Don’t know if I ever get their interchangeable as really they aren’t because you’ve to get separate cords for each tip size.

Have you any links to the ones you mention please?

Have you any links to the ones you mention please?

Hi, sorry for the delay in posting. You can get the Chiagoos from https://www.thisisknit.ie/product-category/tools-accessories/knitting-needles/needles-by-brand/chiaogoo/ . The hiya hiya and Lyyke here https://www.theconstantknitter.ie/needles-and-hooks2/tools-needles-by-brand/HiyaHiya and of course amazon have them too.

Hi, sorry for the delay in posting. You can get the Chiagoos from https://www.thisisknit.ie/product-category/tools-accessories/knitting-needles/needles-by-brand/chiaogoo/ . The hiya hiya and Lyyke here https://www.theconstantknitter.ie/needles-and-hooks2/tools-needles-by-brand/HiyaHiya and of course amazon have them too.

Thanks, I've just discovered thisisknit, looking forward to visiting when they reopen, didnt know about the constant knitters

I'm finding the joins on the knitpro needles annoying as they loosen!

On a different topic, can I ask those of you who are experienced knitters if you block your pieces before seaming? And if yes does it really make a big difference?

Thanks again:)

Thanks, I've just discovered thisisknit, looking forward to visiting when they reopen, didnt know about the constant knitters

On a different topic, can I ask those of you who are experienced knitters if you block your pieces before seaming? And if yes does it really make a big difference?

I don't knit as often but I would always block before seaming - it makes the process much easier in my opinion when you've gotten both the pieces properly sized and have less risk of a crooked seam eating some of the pattern.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I don't knit as often but I would always block before seaming - it makes the process much easier in my opinion when you've gotten both the pieces properly sized and have less risk of a crooked seam eating some of the pattern.

Thanks. So for a sweater with a neck and that joins the front, back and sleeves together, would you knit the neck and, then block or vice versa?

I don’t like the knitpro ones either because of the join, I always find the yarn catches & the tips are not sharp enough. The chiagoo in this is knit come in 5'' & 4'' so ask if they can let you test which one you prefer. Most people use the 5'' but I’m a 4'' or below kind of gal (tiny hands). I’ve never had an issue with the Chiagoo or HiyaHiya loosening and the joins so far have always been smooth.

I don’t like the knitpro ones either because of the join, I always find the yarn catches & the tips are not sharp enough. The chiagoo in this is knit come in 5'' & 4'' so ask if they can let you test which one you prefer. Most people use the 5'' but I’m a 4'' or below kind of gal (tiny hands). I’ve never had an issue with the Chiagoo or HiyaHiya loosening and the joins so far have always been smooth.

I went to the constant knitter today to get blocking pins, and got a pair of HiyaHiya to try just the regular circular ones, not the interchangeable as I'm doing an aran sweater at the moment and the joins on the knitpro are driving me demented with stitches catching :)

I've also found a pattern I think is gorgeous, will be added to my project list, it would also be my first time to try knitting a sweater all in one :)

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/honeydew-3

Thanks. So for a sweater with a neck and that joins the front, back and sleeves together, would you knit the neck and, then block or vice versa?

If it was in pieces, I would make all the pieces and then block them. I don't have a lot of space for blocking, so I generally block pieces on top of each other. It also helps make sure that matching pieces are the right size and that everything "lines up". It's definitely personal preference though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭lulublue22

I went to the constant knitter today to get blocking pins, and got a pair of HiyaHiya to try just the regular circular ones, not the interchangeable as I'm doing an aran sweater at the moment and the joins on the knitpro are driving me demented with stitches catching :)

I've also found a pattern I think is gorgeous, will be added to my project list, it would also be my first time to try knitting a sweater all in one :)

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/honeydew-3

was going to suggest you try a jumper in the round- eliminates all that seaming😠I usually knit top down as it allows you to try the jumper on as you are knitting and make any adjustments. Ravelry is great for patterns.

Advertisement