Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kindle Book/author availability

• 25-03-2020 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭

Why do some authors not release their books through Kindle or whatever digital download system ? Surely a very cheap method of getting a book out there ? I'm a big fan of Stephen Hunter but none of his books are available on Amazon ?

Published by Simon and Schuster who also publish Stephen King who is freely available for download so surely not a publishers issue.

Anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've noticed the same with Tobias Wolff books. They don't seem to be available digitally. I'm sure for a publishing house it wouldn't be too costly in terms of cost and effort to make the manuscripts available in various digital formats. I imagine there's different elements to it, licencing decisions, author wishes. By not making books available electronically authors and publishers also closed off from a different revenue stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Heckler wrote: »
    Why do some authors not release their books through Kindle or whatever digital download system ? Surely a very cheap method of getting a book out there ? I'm a big fan of Stephen Hunter but none of his books are available on Amazon ?

Published by Simon and Schuster who also publish Stephen King who is freely available for download so surely not a publishers issue.

Anyone ?

Probably a bit late to this post but anyway, King has long been an advocate for online publishing long before the kindle was even a thing. My first ever downloadable book was Kings The Plant, which he released a chapter every month for a dollar a download,
    Prior to The Plant he has similar success with Riding the Bullet, also downloadable, he experimented with cutting out the middle man, it should also be noted that he has a profit share relationship with Simon and Schuster.. he’s not on royalties, he earns a lot more and calls a lot more of the shots then your average writer regardless how popular, hence if we wants to go digital, he can.

S&S seen a drop in profits from there digital downloads from 25% to 23%, audio is where it’s at now seemingly and I’d imagine a lot of new authors would be looking at it from this point of view. Also amazon analytics are fairly messed up, Jane doe releases a book and all her friends and family buy it and Amazon’s analytics now target the same buyers for the book, when most of those buyers may never have bought a similar book in that genre before. Thereby feckin up your target market audience. It sounds straight forward enough to just go digital, but there is a lot of science and debate over which is the best route these days, with audio now also being a big consideration..

Just my two cents, could be way off of course ;)

Advertisement