Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent fund raising for front line workers.

• 02-05-2020 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all,

with all that's gone on over the last number of weeks with this epidemic we have seen an upsurge in fund raising in the name of front line workers etc,

I just thought I'd ask the question? where is all this fund raising money going or gone?

tTe hospitals are funded by the exchequer , the nursing staff and doctors and ancillary staff are all on salaries, the DFB and NAS ambulance crews are also on salaries...so where is all the money that people are donating to different challenges that ordinary and extraordinary people are under taking going to.!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

That 'feed the heroes' campaign was completely pointless. Over a million raised for takeaways for people who still have their jobs and full pay. And only small sections of the health service are actually busy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Yeah have to agree. I work in the frontline, get full pay. Not sure why we need fund raising and certainly haven't seen it. I do wonder where it goes.
    The only help I need at the moment is childcare and the government have been useless is that department

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

While I'd imagine most gofundme etc. campaigns are genuine, there has to be some which are unscrupulous. I don't know who checks that the money actually goes where they say it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It’s the standard response to everything now..

Setup a go fund me page..

I’ve seen how some charities work close up and it put me off donating to charities for life. Oftentimes, your money isn’t going where you think it’s going..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

That 'feed the heroes' campaign was completely pointless. Over a million raised for takeaways for people who still have their jobs and full pay. And only small sections of the health service are actually busy at the moment.

Plus a lot of the food outlets weren't accepting payment so the funds raised weren't even used

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It’s the standard response to everything now..

Setup a go fund me page..

I’ve seen how some charities work close up and it put me off donating to charities for life. Oftentimes, your money isn’t going where you think it’s going..
    You mean like all the money raised in the Apollo House campaign that was "spent on great causes" (but with no specific details!)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//attachment.php?attachmentid=495780&d=1574377128

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You mean like all the money raised in the Apollo House campaign that was "spent on great causes" (but with no specific details!)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//attachment.php?attachmentid=495780&d=1574377128

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

People are very gullible with these go fund me things.

I saw one being proposed for a child, who's trampoline blew away.

That said, I'd donate to feed the heroes before Apollo House.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mr cowen

I agree with all of the above, there should be questions asked by someone in a dept that governs charities. front line worker don't need abundance of food, risking the chance of a more severe pandemic.... diabetes 2???.

so if the people who fund raised contributed to ppe equipment etc... then they should be giving the money to the government to pay for the chinese delivery that was a bit small..

other wise they should keep the money for the future because they are gonna need it, this whole shut down isnt going to come cheap,

so when the ff/fg ers come looking to the front line worker next year for a pay cuts or more pension levys... that'll be the time for fund raising..

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

Complete waste of time. Only thing it has done is cause a split amongst hospital staff regarding who deserves what.

On a side note the attitude of some covid nurses since this has started is astonishing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

On a side note the attitude of some covid nurses since this has started is astonishing.
    please elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

please elaborate?

Their attitude of self importance. That every little item donated to the hospital should be brought to their dept/ward. There's a lot of nurses going to have a rude awakening when/if this is all over.

What I've currently noticed is that it's the non covid wards who are over worked due to staff been taken from them to cover covid areas.

Advertisement