Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

On This Day

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

OutKast - Aquemini is 21 years old. Brilliant album, it was way ahead of its time and sounds fresh today.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Common - One Day It Will All Make Sense is 22 years old today. I'd strongly recommend this album, it's one that I can listen to anytime.

WC & The Maad Circle - Curb Servin' released on this day in 1995. That makes it 24 years old. I loved this when it first came out and listened to it again recently. It still knocks.

Features from back when Mack 10 , WC, Ice Cube and Coolio where at their peaks. I think that DJ Pooh done a chunk of the production as well.

2Pac's fifth and final album, Makaveli - The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory, was posthumously released 23 years ago today (1996).

Should have posted this yesterday:

Jay Zreleased his second album, In My Lifetime, Vol. 1, 22 years ago today (1997).

• Advertisement

From 2nd November:

Tash released his debut solo album, Rap Life, 20 years ago today (1999).

1st Nov:

Lords Of The Underground released their second album, Keepers Of The Funk, 25 years ago (1994).

Eightball & MJG released their third album, On Top Of The World, 24 years ago today (1995).

Brand Nubian released their third album, Everything Is Everything, 25 years ago today (1994).

Slick Rick released his debut album, The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick, 31 years ago today (1988).

GZA/Genius released his second solo album, Liquid Swords, 24 years ago today (1995).

Jay-Z's American Gangster is 12 years old today. It was his 10th album!

Goodie Mob's Soul Food is 24 years old today. F*cking classic album.
    Not only does it sound amazing, there are some seriously deep and revolutionary lyrics and themes on the songs. In a time when the mainstream was rapping about clothes and alcohol, they were rapping about big brother and life in Atlanta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Jay-Z's American Gangster is 12 years old today. It was his 10th album!

It was also a 'MEH' album IMO :p

T. Hanks^ wrote: »
    It was also a 'MEH' album IMO :p

When I first heard it, I felt that it was only OK. But, a few years ago when I went back to revisit, it had aged and matured really well (or I had) and it sounded really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Goodie Mob's Soul Food is 24 years old today. F*cking classic album.
    Not only does it sound amazing, there are some seriously deep and revolutionary lyrics and themes on the songs. In a time when the mainstream was rapping about clothes and alcohol, they were rapping about big brother and life in Atlanta.

Classic.

Method Man released his debut solo album, Tical, 25 years ago today (1994).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Method Man released his debut solo album, Tical, 25 years ago today (1994).

Always found Meth's solo stuff disappointing, though Tical is probably his best effort.

Always found Meth's solo stuff disappointing, though Tical is probably his best effort.

Tical is real high in my favorite albums. I'm also reading a book at the moment about how tactical the releases for the Wu were after 36 Chambers and the contractual stuff behind it. Amazing stuff.

Mobb Deep released their third album, Hell On Earth, 23 years ago today (1996).

I remember the day that I bought this CS in Freebird Records and when I got home and listened to it. It was a sound I wasn't expecting, it was a sound I was not convinced of, but after the second listen I was in love with the sound and the album.

Mobb Deep released their third album, Hell On Earth, 23 years ago today (1996).

I remember the day that I bought this CS in Freebird Records and when I got home and listened to it. It was a sound I wasn't expecting, it was a sound I was not convinced of, but after the second listen I was in love with the sound and the album.

Love "Drop a Gem On Em".

Love "Drop a Gem On Em".

Love that song, but I always wanted to hear harder drums on it, the drums sound lightweight for the sample....but that's just me being over critical.

Love that song, but I always wanted to hear harder drums on it, the drums sound lightweight for the sample....but that's just me being over critical.

Love the piano and...

"You get chopped up, grade A meat, somethin' delicious".

• Advertisement

Another cracker:

Redman released his second album, Dare Iz A Darkside, 25 years ago today (1994).
    A mate of mine swears that this is the greatest album ever. Whereas I think it's the lesser of his first 3 releases.
    But when you listen to it, you can't help but think it's nothing short of amazing. Maybe it's just that the albums around it have some classic in your face stand out songs whereas this doesn't.

Advertisement