Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Need an Artist? Post here! Read Post #1 before posting!!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Amazon, E-Bay, Etsy, your local charity shop, TX Maxx, Heatons, various department stores, Woodies, Adverts.ie, etc. This forum and this forum might have some tips, too.

Also, you could look on the back of the plaque to see if there's a sticker or an indication of the name of the company who made it/imported it, and then look that up on the web.

Have you tried ringing the place where you bought it to see if they have any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

New Home wrote: »
    Amazon, E-Bay, Etsy, your local charity shop, TX Maxx, Heatons, various department stores, Woodies, Adverts.ie, etc. This forum and this forum might have some tips, too.

Also, you could look on the back of the plaque to see if there's a sticker or an indication of the name of the company who made it/imported it, and then look that up on the web.

Have you tried ringing the place where you bought it to see if they have any others?

Cheers for the reply - I'm actually looking for a custom made one in memory of my Nan for our kitchen so wouldn't be available in a shop.

Nothing listed on the back of the plaques. My mam picked them up in some random shop in England last year and can't remember what the name of it was :(

Posted over in Interior Design & Decoration.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you're any way handy, you should be able to make one yourself quite easily with stuff like Fimo.

Mod: I'll move this over to the "Artist Wanted" thread, maybe it'll get more visibility there and someone will get back to you.

If you're any way handy, you should be able to make one yourself quite easily with stuff like Fimo.

Mod: I'll move this over to the "Artist Wanted" thread, maybe it'll get more visibility there and someone will get back to you.

I'm as far away from handy and creative as you can physically be :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Hi,

I'm looking for artists/painters to do a painting of a house in South Tipperary. If they have a website or facebook page even better so as to look at previous examples of their work.
    Not looking to break the bank.

Oil on canvas including frame. Minimum 1 metre x 600. Maybe bigger as it will be in a large dining room with high ceiling.
    Open to options.

It's an old farm house with impressive views of the countryside.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

Hi,

We’ve had this steel cabin in our back garden for 70 years. The story goes it was a ticket office for boat tours from Dun Laoghaire harbour in the 50s.

I’m looking for ideas or an artist or metal artist/worker to make it prettier or more interesting. We’ve been painting it as you can see, but it’s not really floating our boat and we’re thinking of cladding it in wood. But seems a shame to cover it up.

I’d love to chat to some one who might have some ideas or be able to do some work. Or you might be able to suggest a more suitable forum?

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Blue2044

Hi

Looking for someone that can do a little artwork and calligraphy writing in order to personalise a photo album. Any names of people that could do this kind of work would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mod: Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kohall

Hi All.
    My colleague and I are looking for an Artist for a new Irish/celtic superhero character!
    The plot and story is pretty much formalised. Artist is needed to bring this character to life on a cover/portrait.
    This character will eventually be published in a graphic novel.
    If attachments of previous works can be sent, if we are interested then a phone conversation will be conducted.
    Any inquiries please give me a shout!
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Hi

I am interested in putting together a famous quote onto a frame of some sort. It's for someone I know who is going through a tough time.

I'm not sure how to go about it as in would it be better printed on canvas or a framed poster with the quote or font type etc

I'm hoping for ideas from someone.
    The quote is:

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Its fairly long

Mod please remove if not in right place. Wasnt sure where to post but thought asking people who are interested in art would be a decent start!

I'd say a lot of it has to do with who the recipient is. Small caps to me is a more masculine type than italics, for instance (yes, I'm generalising, but I don't know how else to express it at the moment).

Perhaps look at greeting cards and see what font grabs your eyes. Are you thinking of a plain background, a shaded one, or of a picture? Size- and shape-wise, were you thinking A3, bigger or smaller?

You could go watercolours, acrylics, ink, or a mix of styles. Calligraphy is another option. Another idea could be to recycle an old, broken up hardback book about to be thrown out by ripping out a blank page and typing the quote on it with an old typewriter (or copy the font), then framing that with a mounting board around it.

If canvas, you could give the background some texture, if you think the person you're making it to might like it.

For a man (and again, I'm generalising), Art Déco patterns to frame the text (and a relevant font) could be nice. For a woman, ivy patterns (to represent persistence) and a softer font might do.

Or a background made with watercolours merging different shades and tonality of blue could be nice, sort of like a cloudy sky. The words themselves could be done in navy with silver ink highlights/shading.

Have you anything at all in mind, yourself, just to give us an idea of what you were thinking of?

I'd say a lot of it has to do with who the recipient is. Small caps to me is a more masculine type than italics, for instance (yes, I'm generalising, but I don't know how else to express it at the moment).

Perhaps look at greeting cards and see what font grabs your eyes. Are you thinking of a plain background, a shaded one, or of a picture? Size- and shape-wise, were you thinking A3, bigger or smaller?

You could go watercolours, acrylics, ink, or a mix of styles. Calligraphy is another option. Another idea could be to recycle an old, broken up hardback book about to be thrown out by ripping out a blank page and typing the quote on it with an old typewriter (or copy the font), then framing that with a mounting board around it.

If canvas, you could give the background some texture, if you think the person you're making it to might like it.

For a man (and again, I'm generalising), Art Déco patterns to frame the text (and a relevant font) could be nice. For a woman, ivy patterns (to represent persistence) and a softer font might do.

Or a background made with watercolours merging different shades and tonality of blue could be nice, sort of like a cloudy sky. The words themselves could be done in navy with silver ink highlights/shading.

Have you anything at all in mind, yourself, just to give us an idea of what you were thinking of?

Thank you for your reply and great suggestions. Some interesting points there too.

It is for a man. I would prefer a canvas piece rather than a framed picture with small writing.
    Possibly bold text some of the important words ie persistence to highlight the strength of those words.
    As for a back ground picture I'm trying to think of an image that displays persistence and then the text quote over it.

The lettering itself again I'd like a plain font with the important words maybe in bold or a different fond and a larger size , maybe a different colour.

Size wise a3 or a2 possibly as there are a few sentences and I would prefer the lettering size not to suffer. Something that can be read clearly from a couple of feet away.

Would you be making this yourself or are you looking for an artist to make it for you?

Would you be making this yourself or are you looking for an artist to make it for you?

Looking for an artist. I had thought about getting something printed by a company but a handmade design would be a level up again.

Would you be interested in a paid piece or know someone who might be?

I was asking because there's a specific thread for this kind of things. :) I'll move it as soon as I get to my computer, you might get more punters.

I was asking because there's a specific thread for this kind of things. :) I'll move it as soon as I get to my computer, you might get more punters.

Oh really! Lol I had no idea. Thank you.

If you are interested please say so too. You were good enough to respond and throw some ideas out there.

Oh really! Lol I had no idea. Thank you.

If you are interested please say so too. You were good enough to respond and throw some ideas out there.

Thanks ExMachina1000, I would be interested but my skill level is nowhere near that. I'm reasonably ok at copying, making greetings cards and stuff suitable for children. I can do a bit of calligraphy (nothing out of this world, I've one way of drawing letters that is pleasant enough to the eye but again, it would be quite feminine). I can do the odd bit of origami, but that's the extent of it. Stuff never turns out like I picture it, anyway - not bad, but just not quite like I imagined it (think: you're making chocolate soufflé but you get brownies). :o

Now, this, to me, is quite nice. I can picture it with an anthracite background and white and gold lettering. Or white and silver.

It could be done on a canvas easily enough, maybe with some warm light filtering through from one of the corners. It wouldn't be a proper picture background (e.g. it wouldn't have a picture of a sea, or of rocks, or a tree growing on a ledge and clinging on), but it might instill a sense of hope. I'll post a picture of the sort of thing I was thinking about.

PJ Lynch is a master at playing with light. This is from his poster for Tosca. He's more known for his breathtaking illustrations for children's books, but his work ranges from those to stamps to the mosaic in the Knock Shrine and much much more. I think he's incredible.

Anyway, I was thinking dark background with this kind of light coming in from one corner towards the centre (maybe not as strong as this), with the lettering on top.

Tosca_poster_PJLYNCH-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Hi

I am interested in putting together a famous quote onto a frame of some sort. It's for someone I know who is going through a tough time.

I'm not sure how to go about it as in would it be better printed on canvas or a framed poster with the quote or font type etc

I'm hoping for ideas from someone.
    The quote is:

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Its fairly long

Mod please remove if not in right place. Wasnt sure where to post but thought asking people who are interested in art would be a decent start!

I'm a calligrapher with a lot of experience. It's my first time posting in this forum and I'm not sure what I'm allowed post regarding samples of my work, links to facebook/website etc. Or do I just pm you? Sorry:o

Mod: Perhaps PM might be best, ultrawoman.

Mod: By the way, if you want to post some of your creations just to show what you've been working on, feel free to do so here.

No advertising allowed, though - the Forum Charter is here, please read it before posting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi there

Looking for someone to make me an anniversary greeting card based in south Dublin. Can someone recommend someone please. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 gdessaykla

how much time does it take you to do taukyu work? Is it possible to ask someone to write such a picture to order and how much will it cost in terms of time and price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

Hi there - that one took a while to do - not sure in terms of hours worked - but it was a significant amount of time - it's quite a large painting as well 3 foot x 3 foot - something like that - your best bet is to contact me directly and we can have a chat - boards is not the place for me to advertise my wares !

Mod: <<SNIP>> Please continue the conversation via PM, if you so wish, rather than posting here. Thanks.

Post edited by New Home on

Mod: @Wolff , I moved yours and @gdessaykla's posts to this thread - it might be best to speak with each other by PM. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭ab4248

Hi, I'd like to purchase an illustration for my friend of herself, her husband and dog as a present. It is from 2 photographs. One photo is my friend and her husband standing on a balcony with the sea in the background. The other is of the dog. Could anyone recommend anyone that does this kind of work and also a price guideline. Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Dramatik

You might have more luck if you include some examples of the kind of work you are looking for.

Also more details such as the size, medium, digital or analogue, do you want the work to come already in a frame or are you going to deal with that yourself etc.

It's impossible to give any price guideline with such little details.

Advertisement