Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda CRV 2015 - 2018

• 08-08-2020 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I'm considering a Honda CRV with the 160bhp 1.6 diesel and awd.

Does anyone here have any experience with these? Even the 120bhp 2wd model?

Any known issues? What should I watch out for, other than the usual?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭high horse

Bump. Does anyone have any opinions on the Honda CRV?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KFed

high horse wrote: »
    Bump. Does anyone have any opinions on the Honda CRV?

We have a 2016 1.6 120 2wd. Great family car, not exactly rapid but fine for all our driving. Replaced a battery so far, otherwise just an annual service. No niggles at all. Car has Done 80k kms so far.

Comfortable, reliable, great for swallowing baby buggy, easy access to car seat, like the height (have a bad back), find the car economical.

Would recommend it. Plan on keeping it for years more. Would buy another one.

The a.w.d. was about ten k or more when new so didn't get it, seem to be a lot available now secondhand. No experience of this but can imagine its also a good buy.

KFed wrote: »
    We have a 2016 1.6 120 2wd. Great family car, not exactly rapid but fine for all our driving. Replaced a battery so far, otherwise just an annual service. No niggles at all. Car has Done 80k kms so far.

Comfortable, reliable, great for swallowing baby buggy, easy access to car seat, like the height (have a bad back), find the car economical.

Would recommend it. Plan on keeping it for years more. Would buy another one.

The a.w.d. was about ten k or more when new so didn't get it, seem to be a lot available now secondhand. No experience of this but can imagine its also a good buy.

Thanks for that KFed.

The practicality of the car is drawing me to it at the moment. It looks like 3 child seats across the back seat is possible with the 3 isofix points.

I haven't driven one yet but I think I'd prefer the 160hp as my current car is 150hp so don't want too much of a drop in power. You find the 120hp OK though?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thanks for that KFed.

The practicality of the car is drawing me to it at the moment. It looks like 3 child seats across the back seat is possible with the 3 isofix points.

I haven't driven one yet but I think I'd prefer the 160hp as my current car is 150hp so don't want too much of a drop in power. You find the 120hp OK though?

I had the 1.6 diesel 120bhp in a Civic tourer estate. It's a very frugal engine and had enough power for the lighter Civic. The 160 would be great but a fair bit thirstier. It's hard to drop back in power once you have it

I had the 1.6 diesel 120bhp in a Civic tourer estate. It's a very frugal engine and had enough power for the lighter Civic. The 160 would be great but a fair bit thirstier. It's hard to drop back in power once you have it

I will drive the 120bhp before making a decision. The 160 is €280 motor tax so thirst can't be too bad, I've read that Honda official emissions figures and fuel economy figures are quite accurate. My annual mileage is pretty low so it's not a huge concern anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

We have a 2017 120 Bhp CRV in our house also, no issues. More powerful than you would think for its size and weight. Great space compared to its competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

I'e been looking at an older model, a 2010. It's a 2.0l petrol with 28,000 miles. One owner, full MOT and service history. Two sunroofs with leather interior. Above all it's automatic. There isn't the selection here in Ireland so the UK seems the way to go. Would the OP consider looking at importing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭KFed

Thanks for that KFed.

My own car is a 320d m sport coupe with, I think, 177bhp. You'd notice the drop to the 120bhp coming from that for sure. The family car is the 120bhp crv. But to be honest, I don't find it grossly underpowered or anything. The gearing seems to be fine for acceleration for joining motorways, and that type of practical day to day driving.

I think it does 0-100kph in 10-11 seconds as compared to about 8 in the BMW. So while it's noticeably slower, I actually find it swift enough for all our driving.

One negative point actually is the road noose at motorway speeds is a little intrusive. Im not sure if that applies to suvs generally, but from the back the roll over boot cover let's in a decent amount of noise. I'm hoping new tyres might help with that.

We generally do 100-110 on the motorway as generally only doing runs to or from north county Dublin and find the economy excellent.

We didn't get the 160 a.w.d as too expensive new but find the 120 grand as a daily driver. Never find myself cursing a lack of power.

Not sure what the autobox is like in the 160 but t.b.h, I don't think you can go wrong wither either model. I'd say the 160 is that bit brisker, handling probably a little better on a.w.d and larger wheels and tyres too. Not sure what the premium is on price though second hand.

KFed wrote: »
    My own car is a 320d m sport coupe with, I think, 177bhp. You'd notice the drop to the 120bhp coming from that for sure. The family car is the 120bhp crv. But to be honest, I don't find it grossly underpowered or anything. The gearing seems to be fine for acceleration for joining motorways, and that type of practical day to day driving.

I think it does 0-100kph in 10-11 seconds as compared to about 8 in the BMW. So while it's noticeably slower, I actually find it swift enough for all our driving.

One negative point actually is the road noose at motorway speeds is a little intrusive. Im not sure if that applies to suvs generally, but from the back the roll over boot cover let's in a decent amount of noise. I'm hoping new tyres might help with that.

We generally do 100-110 on the motorway as generally only doing runs to or from north county Dublin and find the economy excellent.

We didn't get the 160 a.w.d as too expensive new but find the 120 grand as a daily driver. Never find myself cursing a lack of power.

Not sure what the autobox is like in the 160 but t.b.h, I don't think you can go wrong wither either model. I'd say the 160 is that bit brisker, handling probably a little better on a.w.d and larger wheels and tyres too. Not sure what the premium is on price though second hand.

That's quite interesting, my own car is an E46 320d touring. The 0-100kph time is 9 seconds (well that's what it was back in 2003 anyway!) so 120hp might not be as slow as I thought. The touring has a roll cover for the boot as well and I don't find it noisy but it could be quieter.

I don't expect a crv to handle like a 3 series but I was hoping that the awd would help.

I'll test drive the 120hp as well before making any decisions

I'e been looking at an older model, a 2010. It's a 2.0l petrol with 28,000 miles. One owner, full MOT and service history. Two sunroofs with leather interior. Above all it's automatic. There isn't the selection here in Ireland so the UK seems the way to go. Would the OP consider looking at importing ?

I would consider importing but the crv holds its value in the UK better than here so there is no real savings to be made. There is more choice though so it just depends on what is available when I start visiting dealers here

• Advertisement
Advertisement