Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric shower problems

• 06-08-2020 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have a triton T90sr which was working fine then one day I was in the shower and it went cold. I turned the temp up and it was still cold and eventually when i got it all the way to the hottest setting I heard a click and the water went scalding hot. Turning it down did nothing until I got to almost cold. Then it wasn't as scalding. But if I went even a touch too far it would be ice cold. By moving the power dial to the middle setting I can have it at max temp and it is bearable but I still hear that click when the temp is set to the hottest. Does anyone konw what this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi,

Its possibly one of 2 problems that you need to rule out
    1-Make sure the shower head itself is clean and has no limescale blocking the holes
    2-These showers usually have a filter inside the unit that needs cleaning and the frequency of this cleaning depends on the hardness of your water

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thermostat in the shower most likely gone / going. can be replaced by a competent technician / plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Charlottexx

I have checked the head, no limescale I could see. I will check the filter though.

listermint wrote: »
    Thermostat in the shower most likely gone / going. can be replaced by a competent technician / plumber.

I was wondering that. Is that why I can hear a definitive click when I turn it up all the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I was wondering that. Is that why I can hear a definitive click when I turn it up all the way?

yep!
    SR is relatively new though. have you checked its not under warranty ?

• Advertisement

I will check it for warranty. It was here when we got here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The TCO needs replacing.

Manifacturer date is on the bottom of the shower. This will give some indication if it is in warranty. We started installing the Triton T90sr in June 2016 so it may not be under warranty

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The TCO needs replacing.

Manifacturer date is on the bottom of the shower. This will give some indication if it is in warranty. We started installing the Triton T90sr in June 2016 so it may not be under warranty

I had read about the thermal cut off. But my problem happens straight away where if the flow rate is halfway it will be cold. I have to bring the flow rate to minimum, then I hear a click and it goes scalding. If I slowly increase the flow rate it will cool slightly but too hot. Then I will get to a point where it just goes ice cold. If I change the power setting to the middle. I think it is economy then put the flow rate to minimum I will get the same click. But not as hot. Then I can increase the flow rate slightly and it is just bearable to have a shower with. Would you still say it is the TCO? I don't mean to question your knowledge as you clearly know what you are doing installing showers. I just wanted to give all the information I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I had read about the thermal cut off. But my problem happens straight away where if the flow rate is halfway it will be cold. I have to bring the flow rate to minimum, then I hear a click and it goes scalding. If I slowly increase the flow rate it will cool slightly but too hot. Then I will get to a point where it just goes ice cold. If I change the power setting to the middle. I think it is economy then put the flow rate to minimum I will get the same click. But not as hot. Then I can increase the flow rate slightly and it is just bearable to have a shower with. Would you still say it is the TCO? I don't mean to question your knowledge as you clearly know what you are doing installing showers. I just wanted to give all the information I can.

The click you hear is the TCO.

If I was there I would remove the shower head. Spurious or blocked heads can cause the issues you describe. It's difficult to judge without being there but if it's not a blocked filter, hose or head then it leaves the TCO or the flow valve.

Have a look at the troubleshooting tips on the link below

https://www.dublinshowerrepair.com/troubleshooting/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If when the shower is running, it is too hot to be comfortable even at the coolest temp dial setting, and if with the power setting on a lower setting and its just about bearable from being too hot, it suggests a water flow problem. Too little water flowing. Gets too hot, thermal cut out clicks off, water cools, thermal cutout cools with the now cold water, clicks back on, and cycle begins again.

Of course, it could be a faulty tco, as posters can only suggest solutions, based on descriptions given which are often not precise.

Usually, if caused by a scaled up shower head, the shower will have tended to have been too hot for a fair while, and even more so in summer with warmer attic tank water supplying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭John.G

The Triton T90SR had/has? a problem with TCOs, Sleeper12 has a good few posts on here re that, I think he also stated that the exact same TCO is used in other Triton (mains?) showers with no problems.
    Its amazing really as the TCO operates every time one switches the shower off, you will clearly hear it clicking open ~ 10 secs after switch off, if the shower is switched on again then the TCO will reset maybe 5/10 secs after switch on due to the cold water flowing through the heating can. So the TCO on most showers (apart from the ones which keep a flow through them for 10 secs or so after the heating elements are de energised on switch off) will literally operate thousands of times in a 10 year shower lifetime without a bother.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107251973

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The click you hear is the TCO.

If I was there I would remove the shower head. Spurious or blocked heads can cause the issues you describe. It's difficult to judge without being there but if it's not a blocked filter, hose or head then it leaves the TCO or the flow valve.

Have a look at the troubleshooting tips on the link below

https://www.dublinshowerrepair.com/troubleshooting/

Ok, I checked the head, it is not spurious and seems to be clear of blocks. So I will check the filter and hose etc. Thank you.

The easiest pre check before doing anything is to turn the temperature setting to its lowest (= max flow) then hold a dish/bucket under the shower head for 1 minute, measure this with anything to hand and see what you get in LPM.

John.G wrote: »
    The easiest pre check before doing anything is to turn the temperature setting to its lowest (= max flow) then hold a dish/bucket under the shower head for 1 minute, measure this with anything to hand and see what you get in LPM.

Oh that is great idea. I will give it a try

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. It was in fact the filter. I popped it out and it was very clogged up!

Glad you were able to sort it yourself.

Advertisement