Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cat proof sensors?

• 03-08-2020 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi Folks

I'm looking into getting my parents alarm system replaced with a self-monitored one. I was all ready to go with a company until I mentioned my parents had a cat. Their advice was to keep it in one room when the alarm is on. I was surprised at this as my parent's alarm system is nearly 20 years old and the cat never set it off. Even if she was up and down the stairs or on the back of the sofa.

So I'm hoping someone might have some advise on what to do about this or at least what questions to ask a alarm company. Are there special pet friendly sensors or can they just be angled so the cat doesn't set them off or set to a lower sensitivity? I would be grateful for some advise on this.

Kind regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

dakan wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I'm looking into getting my parents alarm system replaced with a self-monitored one. I was all ready to go with a company until I mentioned my parents had a cat. Their advice was to keep it in one room when the alarm is on. I was surprised at this as my parent's alarm system is nearly 20 years old and the cat never set it off. Even if she was up and down the stairs or on the back of the sofa.

So I'm hoping someone might have some advise on what to do about this or at least what questions to ask a alarm company. Are there special pet friendly sensors or can they just be angled so the cat doesn't set them off or set to a lower sensitivity? I would be grateful for some advise on this.

Kind regards

This replacement system which is being installed, is it just made up of passive infrared beams ?

Were your parents able to move around the house before with that old alarm system switched on at night time ?

Just wondering are you giving up a perimeter type system for one with restricted PIR coverage.

As regards pet immune beams, yes there are various models available, like these which we have used :
    https://www.boschsecurity.com/xn/en/solutions/intrusion-alarm-systems/tritech-motion-detectors/

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

Thanks for the reply Kub. At the moment we have no replacement system ordered. We were about to get a self monitored one installed when I mentioned about the cat. As I say I was surprised to be told that the new system would be set off by the cat were as the nearly 20 year old one didn't.
    When the alarm was set a night, only downstairs was set. A person walking downstairs would set it off but the cat never did. If I remember correctly, they were angled at a certain height. But I may be remembering that wrongly.
    When you say perimeter type system, do you mean just the windows and doors are alarmed? Maybe that is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

dakan wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Kub. At the moment we have no replacement system ordered. We were about to get a self monitored one installed when I mentioned about the cat. As I say I was surprised to be told that the new system would be set off by the cat were as the nearly 20 year old one didn't.
    When the alarm was set a night, only downstairs was set. A person walking downstairs would set it off but the cat never did. If I remember correctly, they were angled at a certain height. But I may be remembering that wrongly.
    When you say perimeter type system, do you mean just the windows and doors are alarmed? Maybe that is the best option.

No problem, reading your description there of your existing system it does indeed seem to be PIR coverage, with pet immune detectors, which you have installed.
    Without doubt a perimeter system in a domestic setting is far superior to one consisting just of PIR coverage.
    An ideal set up would be the installation of Inertia Shock Sensors with Contacts (ie. opening detectors ) fitted to all vulnerable external windows and doors, I would also suggest a few pet immune PIRs also to be fitted to hallways, landings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

Thanks kub, I'll take all of that on board when we approach another company. Thanks for the help. :)

Advertisement