Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Well done Kildare. Made hard work of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

Sounds like an unnecessarily nervous game. who gave away the penalty?

cheers for all the updates lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Why is Conway still part of the group. He has shown last year he wasn't good enough and I don't think he's much use to the panel. Got himself sent off today too. Silly boy

Have to agree with you here Eli Manning, I don't rate him at all either. He is great in an open flowing game but not much use when the going gets tough. He can't tackle and he has no pace so I don't really know what he is doing playing centre back let alone playing at all. He spent the whole game today telling others what to do instead of doing his own job also the constant whinging to the referee does us no favors. It could have been a blessing in disguise if he had got a straight red today because Flanagan did a good job at CB when Conway was sent off.

Should be an interesting game next week, hopefully the Dubs will be at full strength as it will be a good test before the opening league game against the champions.

I hear Daryl Flynn and Eamon Callaghan are out injured for a few weeks. both huge losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's a bit premature calling Johnston a great player after kicking 3 points against Offaly in the middle of January.

Only if you think his career started when he joined Kildare :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Conway probably isn't the player he was prior to all his injuries but he's still well worth a place on the panel. He's no centre back though. I would much prefer to see Kildare line up with a more orthodox centre back. I would not be a big fan of Brian Flanagan but he did hold the centre well when he wore the no 6. Either Peter Kelly or Eoin Doyle would be my idea of the Kildare no 6 in the long term.

New sponsor to be announced tonight. Not too shabby a deal from what I've been hearing.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Only if you think his career started when he joined Kildare :confused:
    So your saying he was a great player when he was with Cavan? A very good player by Cavan's standards but by no means great. He had a stormer yesterday, particularly in the second half but lets not fool ourselves it's the O'Byrne Cup in January. If he can repeat that form in the league and championship then we can start thinking about calling him a great player.

His commitment is not in question that's for sure, for both club and county. He single handedly kept St.Kevin's in the senior championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

New sponsor being announced at 8pm, well known Kildare company apparently.

Based on nothing at all, Im gonna guess it is Whitewater or Kildare Village

I don't know who it is but I heard they are based in Naas but also operate throughout the country. Tesco maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

New sponsor being announced at 8pm, well known Kildare company apparently.

Based on nothing at all, Im gonna guess it is Whitewater or Kildare Village

I wouldn't say it would be either. It would be unlikely given the climate. The speculation was that Harvey Norman was looking into it. All I know is that the whole thing has gone on far too long.

• Advertisement

I'm gonna lump a monkey on Bradys' Meats at 7/2. :pac:

BBKKDiyCIAExyLS.jpg

Awkward moment when fionn has posted the exact same picture thats popped up another Kildare forum...

full_irish wrote: »
    Awkward moment when fionn has posted the exact same picture thats popped up another Kildare forum...
    It's all over twitter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Kildare for ham maguire!

It's all over twitter!!

Ah is it? I found it over on the kildaregaa.board earlier this morning.

Any word on what the deal is worth?

full_irish wrote: »
    Ah is it? I found it over on the kildaregaa.board earlier this morning.

Any word on what the deal is worth?
    No I heard nothing about money yet, just heard it's a 3 year deal.

So your saying he was a great player when he was with Cavan? A very good player by Cavan's standards but by no means great. He had a stormer yesterday, particularly in the second half but lets not fool ourselves it's the O'Byrne Cup in January. If he can repeat that form in the league and championship then we can start thinking about calling him a great player.

His commitment is not in question that's for sure, for both club and county. He single handedly kept St.Kevin's in the senior championship.

How many times did you see him play for Cavan?

How many times did you see him play for Cavan?

10 times, give or take.

The Kildare jersey doesn't look right without Tegral or Pitman Moore on it!

As for Johnston, he has it all to prove to the Kildare public. What he did with Cavan is irrelevant now. Kildare were widely ridiculed last year but those running the show in the county persisted with him and he has to show that he was worth all the fuss now. Yesterday was a good start for him but it will take a lot more than a good performance against a Division 4 team in the O'Byrne Cup before he convinces everybody.

• Advertisement

It looks strange all right but I think we are so used to the Tegral logo that anything would look funny.

10 times, give or take.

Heh, I guess you're just a poor judge of players so.

Heh, I guess you're just a poor judge of players so.

So you reckon Johnston was a great player when he was playing with Cavan?

Good? Yes. Great? No.

From the Kildare Nationalist
    KILDARE GAA received a belated Christmas present as they secured a three-year sponsorship deal with Brady Family.

The deal, which will see the Brady logo appear on all Kildare hurling and football jerseys, brings to an end a three-month search to replace Tegral. It will be worth in the region of €300,000 to the Kildare County Board, a timely boost given the debt of €700,000 which hangs over the county.

Club Kildare – the fundraising arm of Kildare GAA – played a major role in securing the sponsorship, which was finalised late last week and officially announced on Monday night (21 January).

This is the first significant sponsorship deal that Brady Family have entered into. The company is based at Timahoe, Co Kildare and employs between 200 and 250 staff. Last year they had turnover of some €32million. Originally founded by Ossie and Mary Brady in 1978, the company was sold to Bill O’Brien in 2000, who is the current chief executive. O’Brien played minor football for Tipperary. The company were very impressed with the professional nature of the current Kildare senior football team and met with manager Kieran McGeeney last week as they finalised the deal.

Brady Family ham products are aimed at a family market and they see the family-orientated nature of the GAA as an ideal outlet for their business. Late last year the company launched a new product range with a major marketing drive hrough their ‘I Ham’ series of televsion adverts.

“I think is a very exciting new chapter in the story of Kildare GAA,” said Club Kildare Chairman Pat Mangan. “Never again will we hear talk about the infamous “hang” sandwich at GAA matches. In future it will be a “Brady’s ham sandwich”; only the best will do.”

€300,000, is that over 3 years or per year? I heard a rumour that Tegral were paying €70k, but according to twitter this deal covers more than just the mens senior team

€300,000 over 3 years, €100,000 per year. Very good deal considering the economic situation.

€300,000, is that over 3 years or per year? I heard a rumour that Tegral were paying €70k, but according to twitter this deal covers more than just the mens senior team

Figure I heard touted for Tegral was €90,000 so I hope that its €300k per annum. which would value us at 30% of what the Dubs are worth which is a fair enough valuation commercial wise

EDIT: Ignore all above! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The Kildare jersey doesn't look right without Tegral or Pitman Moore on it!.

I have it in my head that Panacur sponsored kildare, it could be 20 year ago. Is that right or am I mistaken?

Bizzum wrote: »
    I have it in my head that Panacur sponsored kildare, it could be 20 year ago. Is that right or am I mistaken?

Pitman-Moore were sponsors from 1991 until 1993. Tegral were with the footballers for 20 years. The hurlers have had a few different sponsors in between including Hewlet Packard and Kildare @ A Click.

Kildare were always going to be doing well to even match what Tegral were putting in. It's a decent deal all told. The best part is that it covers the footballers, hurlers, underage teams and ladies football. The logo on the jersey doesn't look great but that's only a small thing.

• Advertisement

€300,000 over 3 years, €100,000 per year. Very good deal considering the economic situation.

I suppose it was the best they could get alright. But if Tegral were giving 70k or 90k or whatever to the Senior team, and now they have 100k a year between Seniors Mens, Ladies GAA, the hurlers etc it would seem to be a major drop.

Also the puns didnt take too long to come out:
    - All our problems are "cured"
    - We're on the pigs back
    - Hopefully we wont make a pigs ear of it
    - Kildare4Ham
    etc etc :)

Advertisement