Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why is there no digital leap card for digital wallets

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

devnull wrote: »
    I assume there is a barcode reader at the barriers.

Haven't noticed them in Connolly been a while since I was in Hueston so could have them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I wonder what will happen in the scenario where tickets are on phones, and the phone dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

bk wrote: »
    Curios, do ticket checkers just look at the ticket? Or do they use another device to scan the QR code or enter the barcode on their own device?

In the UK the checkers have an android app called "CLIPPER", the aztec/QR codes need to be marked as used otherwise you could use a return portion multiple times unless it's been through a turnstile/barrier. See here and down the page, I was surprised to find this through a google.... https://support.gwtrains.co.uk/guides-and-documentation/mdg/applications

I wonder what will happen in the scenario where tickets are on phones, and the phone dies.

Deemed as no ticket is held. New ticket or fine.

91wx763 wrote: »
    Deemed as no ticket is held. New ticket or fine.

Something better than that will have to be conceived. That's not good enough imo, and it's going to happen.

• Advertisement

Something better than that will have to be conceived. That's not good enough imo, and it's going to happen.

In the UK they make it abundantly clear that your device must be able to show the ticket at all times. The system has even evolved that you now don't need a data connection to view/show an M ticketas long as your ticket was downloaded once. Power banks are easily available and very compact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

How's that any different to an e-boarding pass if phone is uncharged don't get on flight simple as same with trains. People need to take personal responsibility and ensure their phone is charge or buy a regular ticket or print out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not sure if they will use it for this purpose, might not work for the commuter/intercity case, but possibly for the city case.

Apple has a feature on iPhones where if you have a travel card (like Leap/Oyster card) on your phone, you can continue to use it even after the battery dies. The phone reserves a small amount of battery power so that the card continues to work for a couple of hours after the phone battery dies.

Very interesting overview of how it works in London here:
    https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-pay/transport/

I hope Leap supports this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

GT89 wrote: »
    Also how do you get through the barriers?

I used MuniMobile in San Francisco before, which is essentially the same idea. There you just showed the 'ticket' on your phone to the barrier attendant.

It was a really stupid system imo (leaving the station barriers you needed to attract their attention as they usually face the opposite direction), so hopefully NTA are thinking of something more reliable and automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

There is a portable device being rolled out as part of the new ticketing system. But in theory any phone with the 'app' would surfice

There is funding sought to add a barcode reader to the turnstiles at key stations

Given that one of their excuses for seat reservations frequently not working is data connection issues, would that not pose a similar issue for any such devices?
    If the wifi goes then so does the ability to check tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOH wrote: »
    Given that one of their excuses for seat reservations frequently not working is data connection issues, would that not pose a similar issue for any such devices?
    If the wifi goes then so does the ability to check tickets?

Such devices/apps should be written in such a way that they download all ticket information to the device, so it can continue to work offline.

A days worth of ticket data could easily be stored in modern mobile devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you use a complex QR code you can encode enough data that you can be offline and still have confidence the ticket is valid

The German model requires photo ID

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

bk wrote: »
    Such devices/apps should be written in such a way that they download all ticket information to the device, so it can continue to work offline.

A days worth of ticket data could easily be stored in modern mobile devices.

In fairness the seat reservation system should be written in a way that works reliably.

I suspect though that when it comes to something that affects their revenues rather than customer convenience, Irish Rail will find a way of making it work every time.

Or else just find a way of fining the passenger if their ticket checking device fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭tandcapply

Resurrected this old thread.

Did anyone get any ETA on a digital leapcard recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That article should give you some updated information.

Government only approved the project in March of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭tandcapply

Thanks,so 2024 is best case scenario

In the meantime they have rolled out the TFI Go app which allows you buy single, 2 journey and 10 journey tickets on your phone for any Bus Éireann PSO route at LEAP prices, including towns and cities, GoAhead regional commuter routes, and are now expanding the ability to buy tickets across the Local Link network too.

It also allows you buy 24 hour and weekly tickets for use in the regional cities, and on the regional commuter routes into Dublin.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

I hope they integrate it into the existing TFI app and don't start a new one.

The TFI Go App is already live.

I’ve edited my post to be clearer.

You can pay for all the services that I listed using the app on your mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Used the app to get the 133 to Kilmacanogue the other week and it was very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

there were a few times, including 1 in the last month , that ive stood on a crammed 39A at the ticket reader and as i would type on my phone it would set the ticket-reader off

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What is used to read those tickets when someone gets on the bus? ( Do the existing Leap machines read phones?)

You activate the ticket on the phone and show it to the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It has a live timestamp and unique moving graphic, so that it doesn't look like a static image. The app also doesn't allow screenshots so you can't simply show a screenshot of a "ticket". (Photo below taken from Google)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not sure I'd be brave enough to try that with a monthly ticket: Galway has some lads driving who've barely learned how to use the existing ticket machines, I think a phone based ticket would push them over the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PH0NER

Any updates to this? I find it strange that I can tap my Leap card to my iPhone to top-up, but I can’t skip the card and just use Apple Wallet to NFC tap on and off transport.

it's painful. I've dropped my wallet more or less for my phone, but still have to remember my leap card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Other than announcing contracts and tenders, when it comes to products going live NTA always take the soft launch approach. You might get an article slipped to the journal before anyone else picks up on it. But they aren't going to promote it until people are already using it for a week or two.

It won’t happen until 2025.

The entire backend operating system for PSO services ticketing is being rebuilt from scratch and that is a major job.

That’s not really true - they’ve soft launches if they do small pilot testing on one route for example, but when the “Big Bang” happens they do a big publicity launch. That is what I suspect they want to do here.

• Advertisement

You will certainly notice when they are getting ready to launch it, as it will require new validators to be installed on all buses, next to the old ones.

Advertisement