Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Concrete Posts

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

karlitob wrote: »
    Thanks for this. Sorry I missed it earlier.
    Am I right in saying that your suggesting put down a 2x4 on edge to fill up the space somewhat underneath the board
    Or is it to put a 2x4 on edge about 6inches from the fence and have that as your mowing strip. I can then backfill with concrete - or whatever.

2 x 4 away from fence, not under boards
    1. Far enough away so that lawnmover won't scrape fence posts
    2. Far enough away to give you some room for decorative pebble as in your pic (or other)
    3. Far enough away so that the slope from top of 2x4 to underside of concrete board is not so severe that the pebbles just spill onto your lawn
    The 2x4 is to give you a nice straight edge parallel to the fence. A wavy/crooked line will take away from what looks like a very neat fence so far. A secondary function is to use it as a lawnmower strip by embedding the timber in the lawn. Obvioulsy, embedding timber to approx same height as lawn soil means mower wheel can drive along it and your grass at edge will be cut at same height as rest of lawn.
    BUT, personally I'd prefer to minimize the slope back to the fence even if that meant raising the 2x4 above lawn surface - therefore prob wouldn't use 2x4 as it would be too shallow. I'd either go with sleepers on edge, or the contemporary white wall (https://images.app.goo.gl/t5aAgrn1MWgk48AW9). I've planned something like this to hide some RC wall at my place so it would fit in with what I have. You have a bit of thinking to do to decide what look you want to go for and how to implement.

Advertisement