Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ski season 2016/2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Rew wrote: »

Definitely a much more attractive offering than the Karma, size, and function wise. But you're not getting the gimbal with the with the DJI, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

cormee wrote: »
    Definitely a much more attractive offering than the Karma, size, and function wise. But you're not getting the gimbal with the with the DJI, are you?

Built in gimbal and seriously expensive.

Built in gimbal and seriously expensive.

The DJI?
    Yeah, I think an advantage of the GoPro would be the detachable gimbal, you are getting two products in one, really.
    Also, I hope DJI have some plans for controlling who is able to activate the gesture control, if not it is leaving it open to some serious abuse potential :D

The DJI isn't seriously expensive. $750 if you fly it with your phone and $999 with the dedicated controller the Karma is $799 with no camera, $1100 with a cam and doesn't have anywhere near the features of the DJI. Advantage of the Karma is the gimbal but you can buy that separately.

The Kama is 1kg the Mavic is 750g. 750g puts it under the weight restrictions that some countries have on drones.

• Advertisement

The DJI?
    Yeah, I think an advantage of the GoPro would be the detachable gimbal, you are getting two products in one, really.
    Also, I hope DJI have some plans for controlling who is able to activate the gesture control, if not it is leaving it open to some serious abuse potential :D

What about the voice control on the GoPros? I'm looking forward to hearing people all over the place shouting at other peoples cameras. I've decided I'll get one but will change the language so something entertaining. Mongolian or something.

The DJI isn't seriously expensive. $750 if you fly it with your phone and $999 with the dedicated controller the Karma is $799 with no camera, $1100 with a cam and doesn't have anywhere near the features of the DJI. Advantage of the Karma is the gimbal but you can buy that separately.

The Kama is 1kg the Mavic is 750g. 750g puts it under the weight restrictions that some countries have on drones.

All I see on Dji.com is €1199. Am I missing something? I see they also sell a gimbal stick for €650

I see the DJI has follow-me capabilities too, in the video it looks pretty good. I've decided ... I will be spending my imaginary €1k on the DJI

All I see on Dji.com is €1199. Am I missing something? I see they also sell a gimbal stick for €650

I just went with the dollar prices to keep everything consistent. In Euros a Karma with a Hero 5 Black is currently 1,299. If the do a bundle discount at best it will be €1199 but likely be a little bit higher.

There are def pros and cons to both setups but drone for drone the DJI is a way, way better deal. When you take into account that your going to want a gopro as well then its much harder, with the Karma kit you have huge flexibility but you have to fly the drone your self always. The DJi is far more a sophisticated drone with much better options, physically smaller, lighter and better battery.

They don't seem to list the cheaper DJI option in € so far.

Kinda comes down to budget. Ideal is Hero 5, Karma Grip and a DJI Mavic, budget option is Hero 5 and Karma kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Good vid on what to expect from the Karma Grip, if anything its too smooth :D

I agree, much prefer the gritty footage which is much more like skiing. The other one is more candide special effects feel. Don't like but obv would have professional uses.

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    I agree, much prefer the gritty footage which is much more like skiing. The other one is more candide special effects feel. Don't like but obv would have professional uses.

I like both. I find when using a pole it's stable for the most part anyway. Not 3 axis gimbal stable but balanced.

This is a review of the Mavic I watched yesterday. Looks good and all but I have one issue with DJI kit that many will probably disagree with. I don't like the video quality. Yep I said it. When flying nice and slow the footage recorded is very good but when a little speed is added there's a motion blur that I think GoPro have a much better handle on and always have. I'm curious to see what GoPros reaction will be to the Mavic.

They both have their place and the Hero 5 has stabilisation built in so will be smoother then previous models regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'm a little disappointed with my GoPro (Hero 4 Silver) and thought they might be just trading on their reputation. But in fairness the video footage from it is very very good.

My problems are the sound (I bought it to record the kids swimming / cycling etc as I can't do anything on skis worth watching), its tinny and the vibration of the pole is very annoying. Any tips for avoiding this?

It also crashes an awful lot and I have to take out the battery. Still photos from it are poor too.

But the video is stunning, at least on my phone (my laptop too old to play it so I've never seen it anywhere else). My TV prob doesn't do it justice.

Am I right in thinking that 1080 at the high frame rate (60) is the best quality? I tried the 2.7 and 4k but frame rate was so reduced it didn't look half as good. Also, the 1440 or whatever seems to in effect be wide screen only?

I was also surprised at the screen grabs, used to get round the poor photo capability, don't seem to improve in quality at the higher resolutions? Like if you zoom in on a 1080 shot and a 4k shot the quality dis-improves at the same rate. Am I missing something here? I presumed higher resolution would mean you could zoom in more. Using a screen grab from a standard android phone as the the screen grabs from the actual GoPro app are, bizarrely, poorer quality.

2djo5km.jpg

Let the obsessing begin! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Cormee , is that your app?
    Im using it , its very good :) h

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Cormee , is that your app?
    Im using it , its very good :) h

Sure is! Thanks for the compliment :D are you using it with a webcam image?

Sure is! Thanks for the compliment :D are you using it with a webcam image?

Yeah , it only updates once a day or every couple of days but i think thats the webcams fault!
    Also the weather can be a bit temperamental updating but again that could be my sync settings.
    Best one ive used from the PlayStore :)
    cant wait till theres snow on them hills!

Yeah , it only updates once a day or every couple of days but i think thats the webcams fault!
    Also the weather can be a bit temperamental updating but again that could be my sync settings.
    Best one ive used from the PlayStore :)
    cant wait till theres snow on them hills!

Sometimes it can go a bit wonky (not refreshing the image, weather disappearing), when it does I sither delete the widget and re-add it, or I edit the event and save it. I haven't updated the app in almost a year - I hope to get back on it soon.

/sorry for the off-topic

Now that sterling has collapsed (again), and the end is nigh, it's probably a great time to buy gear in the UK. Can anyone suggest a fairly stiff pair of snowboard boots, with ideally a small footprint?

I'm looking at http://www.theboardbasement.com/snowboard-and-ski-products-snowboard-boots-mens/

Yeah i just click the app and it updates sometimes.
    Its the best on the playstore , the rest either hog battery or simply dont work or are too complicated.
    Mines showing a bit of snow later in the week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah i just click the app and it updates sometimes.
    Its the best on the playstore , the rest either hog battery or simply dont work or are too complicated.
    Mines showing a bit of snow later in the week :)

link?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    nice

you seeing any revenue from it?

Thanks.

Initially I was, but I haven't updated, or promoted, it in almost a year, so it has slipped way down the search results pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

cormee wrote:
    Initially I was, but I haven't updated, or promoted, it in almost a year, so it has slipped way down the search results pages.

Ill download it and give it a rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Sometimes it can go a bit wonky (not refreshing the image, weather disappearing), when it does I sither delete the widget and re-add it, or I edit the event and save it. I haven't updated the app in almost a year - I hope to get back on it soon.

/sorry for the off-topic

Now that sterling has collapsed (again), and the end is nigh, it's probably a great time to buy gear in the UK. Can anyone suggest a fairly stiff pair of snowboard boots, with ideally a small footprint?

I'm looking at http://www.theboardbasement.com/snowboard-and-ski-products-snowboard-boots-mens/

I went back to stupid apple and have no widgets anymore. Might get a winter android for fun.

Burton have what's they call shrinkage tech but I sure other manufacturers do similar. My burton ambush have done 13 weeks on the hill now, I think, with another 4 coming up next year and no problems. Flex is a 5 out of 10 so you'll problem be looking for stiffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I went back to stupid apple and have no widgets anymore. Might get a winter android for fun.

I contemplated going back and then found theres no widgets. Made decision for me.

Burton have what's they call shrinkage tech but I sure other manufacturers do similar. My burton ambush have done 13 weeks on the hill now, I think, with another 4 coming up next year and no problems. Flex is a 5 out of 10 so you'll problem be looking for stiffer.

How often do you get out to ski?

Does anyone go over to Scotland out of interest? Anyone know what it's like for say a weekend ski trip?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be able to survive without widgets! Besides adding a bit of visual activity to your homescreens, a lot are very useful. I've no idea how Apple has managed to avoid them for so long.

Yeah, I currently have a pair of ancient, cheapo, Burton Moto boots, I like them a lot, but I'm not sure they suit the sort of snowboarding I do now. I think now would be a good time to try something a little stiffer.
    I have a Flow NX2 bindings, so I would have a preference for Flow boots. I wonder if I even need shrink tech, as my current boots are so old, anything newer would naturally be a lot smaller, due to advancements in the technology and design.

Advertisement