Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where are people thinking of this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

Booked flights to Geneva mid December for four days, will wait till last minute and see where the snow is before booking accommodation.
    Booked a week in Mayorhofen in March, can't wait never been but heard lots of positive reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Going from the 19th-24th (Better not run into trouble getting home) of December to Pas De La Casa in Andorra again, little bit worried about snow (wasn't great last year around then, but the year before there was plenty snow!) but you can't beat Andorra for price (especially for students), tax-free alcohol & the nightlife, under 100 days to go and all!!!

People can be a bit snobby about Andorra in comparison to the Alps but I found it absolutely fantastic, really great variety of slopes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭prunudo

Going from the 19th-24th (Better not run into trouble getting home) of December to Pas De La Casa in Andorra again, little bit worried about snow (wasn't great last year around then, but the year before there was plenty snow!) but you can't beat Andorra for price (especially for students), tax-free alcohol & the nightlife, under 100 days to go and all!!!

People can be a bit snobby about Andorra in comparison to the Alps but I found it absolutely fantastic, really great variety of slopes!

I had a bad experience with Andorra back in 2007 with a serious lack of snow. Wouldn't mind going back but I've always been reluctant, 16c and tshirt weather in the middle of January has left me nervous. Think I'd only book last minute if I went again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

jvan wrote: »
    I had a bad experience with Andorra back in 2007 with a serious lack of snow. Wouldn't mind going back but I've always been reluctant, 16c and tshirt weather in the middle of January has left me nervous. Think I'd only book last minute if I went again.

In fairness it's fairly snow sure most times, freak events do occur I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Thinking of Kaprun this year, prices are reasonable, altitude is decent, boasts good freeride terrain, near a glacier. Apres ski sounds a bit quiet however.

Anyone been? Would you recommend it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

stevire wrote: »
    Thinking of Kaprun this year, prices are reasonable, altitude is decent, boasts good freeride terrain, near a glacier. Apres ski sounds a bit quiet however.

Was never in the town but it seems like it would be pretty quiet , the main cable car station is a bit out of the town too. The terrain is very good but i doubt theres is enough to keep ya going for the week.

Zell am Zee up the road to stay is a lot nicer to stay and more apres (although not crazy). Similarly there isn't enough in Zell for the week.

Both towns are linked with a free bus and on the same pass.

Edit: if you are stuck you can do a day trip to somewhere like saalbach too which is one of the ski passes you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I think I'm losing the run of myself...just booked a second week back to back in Chamonix over xmas/new year to add to my credit card bill! I need to stay off this forum before I go bankrupt :)

Decided to try the UCPA for the second week, going to give the off-piste course a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I only passed through Kaprun on the way to the glacier, and it really doesn't look like the wildest place, it's a fair bit away from the main lift to the glacier, so there is that separation. There is/was one of those igloo/tent things at the bottom of the slopes, before you get the lift down, that got a bit crazy at the end of the day.

If I was you I'd go, next door, to Zell am See and get the bus to Kaprun as needed, it's a fairly short journey. The town is a lot quainter and closer to the slopes and the apres ski scene is better - If you board/ski the whole way back to town (recommended) there are a few pubs on the slopes back down that have pretty crazy apres, and there are some pubs in the town that get crazy later at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

When are you thinking of going? If it's out of normal season fair enough, but be prepared for pretty boring nightlife ;-)

OK, change of plans, I'm not going to St. Anton, just booked Val Thorens for 23rd Jan.

I've mixed feelings about the town of VT - actually I don't, it's a dump - but it's in a great ski area so I'm looking forward to revisiting a lot of my favourite slopes in a few months time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

cormee wrote: »
    OK, change of plans, I'm not going to St. Anton, just booked Val Thorens for 23rd Jan.

I've mixed feelings about the town of VT - actually I don't, it's a dump - but it's in a great ski area so I'm looking forward to revisiting a lot of my favourite slopes in a few months time!

Chopping and changing here also ha, looks like we'll go to Chamonix instead of VT now. Have afew beginners who want to keep the budget down, and the UCPA in Chamonix have some very cheap 5day packages. I was doing my homework on St Anton yday, it seemed very expensive, accommodation especially, more alike Swiss prices than Austrian! On VT also I think I'd rather wait until a late season ski trip to go there, it's abit too high up for the cold Jan weather.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Chopping and changing here also ha, looks like we'll go to Chamonix instead of VT now. Have afew beginners who want to keep the budget down, and the UCPA in Chamonix have some very cheap 5day packages. I was doing my homework on St Anton yday, it seemed very expensive, accommodation especially, more alike Swiss prices than Austrian! On VT also I think I'd rather wait until a late season ski trip to go there, it's abit too high up for the cold Jan weather.

Chamonix is a quite unusual choice if you have beginners!

Damn right about the temperature in VT in January. I'll be heading down lower to Menuires, St. Martin, Meribel etc. I reckon.

Chamonix is a quite unusual choice if you have beginners!

why so?

why so?

They pronounce it wrong.

why so?

It would be for more advanced skiers/snowboarders, for most of the ski areas you'll need to take a 30 minute bus journey, then when you do get here there really aren't any/many greens or easy blues. So that might discourage a lot of learners.

There is one area that's supposed to be for learning that's on the edge of the town itself, but I've never seen it, so it might be grand.

I'm not saying it's a bad choice, but there are a lot of other resorts I'd suggest for beginners, before Chamonix, if I was asked.

fannymagee wrote: »
    They pronounce it wrong.

I might be guilty of that too, what's the correct way? :confused:

I might be guilty of that too, what's the correct way? :confused:

sham-o-nee?

sham-o-nee?

Yeah, that's the way I say it. :D

It would be for more advanced skiers/snowboarders, for most of the ski areas you'll need to take a 30 minute bus journey, then when you do get here there really aren't any/many greens or easy blues. So that might discourage a lot of learners.

There is one area that's supposed to be for learning that's on the edge of the town itself, but I've never seen it, so it might be grand.

I'm not saying it's a bad choice, but there are a lot of other resorts I'd suggest for beginners, before Chamonix, if I was asked.

Point taken. My 1st time skiing I did lessons 1st few mornings, and met up with the rest of our group some afternoons, me and another beginner got turfed down a hard enough blue 1st afternoon by them haha, we weren't long getting up to speed in fairness, or well enough that we weren't totally off the pace. Think it was reds by day 3 and blacks day 4 ha. I'd hope this group of beginners would be able for something similar ha. Just reading up about Chamonix, might not be a bad idea to hire a car to avoid 30mins back and forward bus trips? Hiring a car works out similar to transfers when split across 5people.

Point taken. My 1st time skiing I did lessons 1st few mornings, and met up with the rest of our group some afternoons, me and another beginner got turfed down a hard enough blue 1st afternoon by them haha, we weren't long getting up to speed in fairness, or well enough that we weren't totally off the pace. Think it was reds by day 3 and blacks day 4 ha. I'd hope this group of beginners would be able for something similar ha. Just reading up about Chamonix, might not be a bad idea to hire a car to avoid 30mins back and forward bus trips? Hiring a car works out similar to transfers when split across 5people.

Yep, car hire probably wouldn't be a bad idea, the bus service is absolutely awful. You can easily be waiting 30-45 mins + for a bus and then when you do get one they are jammers for the entire 30 minute trip. That's bad enough in the morning, but in the evening, when you're sore, damp and wrecked it's a lot worse.

• Advertisement

Yep, car hire probably wouldn't be a bad idea, the bus service is absolutely awful. You can easily be waiting 30-45 mins + for a bus and then when you do get one they are jammers for the entire 30 minute trip. That's bad enough in the morning, but in the evening, when you're sore, damp and wrecked it's a lot worse.

Ooh I can't wait for those evenings!! Even the miserable ones are worth it :)

ouch, fook that, I've obviously been spoilt my previous trips, which were ski in ski out ha. Surely 1st week of Jan (from the 2nd on) would be a quiet enough week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

sham-o-nee?

The real cnuts just say "cham"....

Bus journey isn't quite 30 mins - more like 15 mins from Chamonix town to Argentiere or Le Tour which are the best journeys worth making. I actually prefer getting the bus than all the faff with parking, throwing skis in and out, getting boots and meeting up with others, but that's prob just my impatience.

Le Tour is pretty good for beginners, a few nice gentle slopes (albeit no trees on those if its flat light).

There's also some great tree lined runs and off piste off the back of Le Tour down to Valllorcine, only discovered it recently after about five previous trips there

ouch, fook that, I've obviously been spoilt my previous trips, which were ski in ski out ha. Surely 1st week of Jan (from the 2nd on) would be a quiet enough week?

Usually quiet that week in France alright, although a mate warned me that when its quiet they might step down the bus service!

a148pro wrote: »
    The real cnuts just say "cham"....

Bus journey isn't quite 30 mins - more like 15 mins from Chamonix town to Argentiere or Le Tour which are the best journeys worth making. I actually prefer getting the bus than all the faff with parking, throwing skis in and out, getting boots and meeting up with others, but that's prob just my impatience.

Le Tour is pretty good for beginners, a few nice gentle slopes (albeit no trees on those if its flat light).

There's also some great tree lined runs and off piste off the back of Le Tour down to Valllorcine, only discovered it recently after about five previous trips there

I never made it in 15 minutes to Le Tour! Most definitely a half-hour trip in my experience, and according to http://www.chamonix.net/sites/default/files/Attachments/guide-horaires-houches-tour-2015.pdf it's just under a half hour trip. The buses being jammers doesn't help much either.

Argentiere is 10 minutes closer, yep.

Chamonix most definitely isn't a ski in/out experience, the closest ski area is Brevent, which is walkable, up a long hill, from the town, but you'll cover it in an afternoon (it's a great option for your first day if you fly Aer Lingus - because the early arrival means you can be on the slopes by 2:30pm) . There are plenty of great things about it though, the skiing/boarding are exceptional and the town itself is lovely.

Yeah its deeply inconvenient, particularly if in big group. The worst is when its been snowing heavily and some areas are closed, you get up early, head to Grand Montets looking forward to a few deep powder runs, lifts closed, you hear Les Houches is open and trek up and when you get there and get parked you then hear Grand Montets has opened and lace it back only to find its closed again or there's a one hour queue!

Can be incredibly frustrating and trading on its reputation a lot, but great scenery, incredible lifts, nice town and easy transfer make up for it.

a148pro wrote: »
    Yeah its deeply inconvenient, particularly if in big group. The worst is when its been snowing heavily and some areas are closed, you get up early, head to Grand Montets looking forward to a few deep powder runs, lifts closed, you hear Les Houches is open and trek up and when you get there and get parked you then hear Grand Montets has opened and lace it back only to find its closed again or there's a one hour queue!

Can be incredibly frustrating and trading on its reputation a lot, but great scenery, incredible lifts, nice town and easy transfer make up for it.

Am i right in saying there was a direct train from geneva to cham and it be up again soon . Was this throught the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Thinking of going to Snowboxx in March, price seems too good to be true. Is anyone going to this, or has anyone been before?

• Advertisement

Mr.Plough wrote: »
    Thinking of going to Snowboxx in March, price seems too good to be true. Is anyone going to this, or has anyone been before?

Never been but , looking at the prices its what you'd normally get there for a week in avoriaz in march but the festival is thrown in for free. No doubt the doubt they make that money back behind the bar :D Expect the apartments to be pokey though.

That party in Aquariaz does sound cool .

Advertisement