Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bargain watch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭prunudo

Serious deals on trips to Meribel Valley on Directski today. If anybody can go on the last week of January you get 4 in apartment in the centre of Meribel for under €400 pp. It was close to €550 a couple of weeks back.
    Sort of raging I missed it but thems are the chances you take.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone any opinion on these?

http://www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-mens-clothing/black-ripa-softshell-ski-trousers/invt/31081927

Got them in TK Maxx in Cork there, and just wondering are they fine for skiing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Received this today

Hello

Snow Way! Save up to €660 per couple on your ski holiday with Topflight’s 3 day Ski Sale starting Monday 17th November

Winter is finally arrived and the snow has started to fall in ski resort across Europe. To celebrate, Topflight, Ireland’s leading Ski Tour Operator is kicking off a 3 day Ski Sale on Monday 17th November with prices from €299pps- Save up to €660 per couple. With great value for one a week holiday in January, it is definitely time to book your ski holiday! So get rid of the winter blues and treat yourself. Must book before 6pm on 19th November 2014 to avail of the unbelievable offers!!

There are lots of resorts to choose from with flights from Dublin, Cork and Belfast. Plus there are resorts to suit everyone, from beginners to advanced skiers. So, call Topflight now on 01 2401 700 or to book visit www.topflight.ie.

The Sale must end at 6pm Wednesday 19th November 2014.

Topflight January Ski Specials – Save up to €660 per couple

Austria
    St. Johann -3* plus Gasthof Mauth Now from €519pps - Save €360 per couple

Soll -Pension Konrad Now from €299pps – Save €660 per couple

Zell am See -4* Waldhof Now from €669pps – Save €340 per couple

France
    Meribel - 3* Residence Cybele Now from €319pps – Save €336 per couple

Andorra
    Pas de la Casa – 2* Frontera Blanca Now from €319pps – Save €302 per couple

Arinsal – 4* Princesa Parc Now from €639pps - Save €320 per couple

Prices above include return flights, 7 nights accommodation, resort transfers, generous luggage allowance and representative services.

*Prices above are based on January departure dates.

For further press information or pictures please contact:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

titan18 wrote: »
    Anyone any opinion on these?

http://www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-mens-clothing/black-ripa-softshell-ski-trousers/invt/31081927

Got them in TK Maxx in Cork there, and just wondering are they fine for skiing?

Personally i wouldn't go softshell for winter skiing.

Rew wrote: »
    Personally i wouldn't go softshell for winter skiing.

Any reason why? First time skiing, so no idea what to get, and the pants looked ok.

From looking around google, it's saying
    Waterproofing: 10000mm
    Breathability: 5000 MVP
    Welded seams

• Advertisement

In probably a bit old fashioned in my thinking on soft shell that sounds decent enough. They didn't used to be that waterproof.

Large Spyder jacket in TK Stephens Green if anyone is in the market

328797.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Probably the best place to ask this. Looking at buying a snowboard. I'm heading to L2A the last week of January. Going to buy a board while I'm over there. Anyone know what the starting price of a board and bindings would be? Trying to budget myself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Probably the best place to ask this. Looking at buying a snowboard. I'm heading to L2A the last week of January. Going to buy a board while I'm over there. Anyone know what the starting price of a board and bindings would be? Trying to budget myself :P

Any board or bindings I've seen for sale in a resort are full EU price if not a little more. A Burton is 400 to 600 now this year, Capita 400+, Jones 500+, Salomon 300+. You might get lucky and get one of last years. In fact I would recommend all considering buying to target last years kit. Most of the changes year on year are very small or just cosmetic.

Is it me or are boards more expensive this year?

Do you have something in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Any board or bindings I've seen for sale in a resort are full EU price if not a little more. A Burton is 400 to 600 now this year, Capita 400+, Jones 500+, Salomon 300+. You might get lucky and get one of last years. In fact I would recommend all considering buying to target last years kit. Most of the changes year on year are very small or just cosmetic.

Is it me or are boards more expensive this year?

Do you have something in mind?

Nothing in particular, just want my own board. Sick of rentals at this stage. It will probably be a basic enough one. But i'd like to see it before I buy, hence why I am veering away from online stores. Looking to spend around 300-400, see what I get for that!

Nothing in particular, just want my own board. Sick of rentals at this stage. It will probably be a basic enough one. But i'd like to see it before I buy, hence why I am veering away from online stores. Looking to spend around 300-400, see what I get for that!

I see plenty of 2nd hand on adverts.ie, probbably worth a look.

Rew wrote: »
    I see plenty of 2nd hand on adverts.ie, probbably worth a look.

I see 2 there that might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

I've never paid full retail price for a new season's board. I couldn't give a toss what graphic is on my board (or largely what brand it is), and don't believe the tech advances form 1 year to the next are worth the price for me. I snowboard for fun and if I can hit the performance limit of a previous season's board, maybe I could justify the incremental improvement. Here's what I've done any time I've bought a board:
    Decide what you want the board for. This will inform the size you want, and profile, shape, flex etc. and look for something that fits all of those parameters - the less specific you are, the more choice you'll have. Then scour used gear sites, online shops and bricks and mortar shops. Don't do what my girlfriend did and decided she wanted the (very expensive) one with unicorns on it!

My last board I wanted a true twin with some variation of rocker (there are infinite names for the different profiles available) in anywhere from 154-156cm length and a mid-range flex. It's for groomer cruising, playing around on and some small-medium park stuff. Sometimes I take in some powder with it, but it's not the floatiest.
    Anyway, I scoured the online sites (most have an outlet/clearance section with previous season stock), and picked out a few. Then I looked on used gear sites and drove around the shops here asking for last season stuff. I ended up with a used Ride Machete 155 and I love it. Had been used very little and it was a great price.

Sounds like it's your first board, so I'd definitely recommend not paying full retail price. The more you use it and the better you get, you might decide you need something different and take a massive hit selling it, versus if you get it wrong with a used or discounted board, you're on the hook for a lot less and can offload it for nearer what you paid. I'd also not worry about seeing it or not before you buy. If you buy based on pretty specific criteria, you won't be disappointed - they'll all be exponentially better than rental gear. Just check for repairs to the base and edges with used stuff, and maybe just check the binding inserts are solid.

Be cautious with bindings, though - make sure they fit your boots. If you don't have your own boots yet, get them! I'd recommend buying new (but again previous season stock if you can find it) because of the heat moulding in most modern boots. Even if they weren't 'baked' to the previous owners feet, a few days' riding moulds them so they won't match your feet.

Hi,

Just looking for opinions on this jacket. I bought it yesterday and wondering is it ok for skiing in. Just incase anyone else has used Dare2b gear before, was it ok in regards waterproofness and breathability.

http://www.dare2b.com/well-versed-jacket-black.html

In comparison to something like

http://shop.hellyhansen.com/ie/item/accelerate-jacket-62319/?t_type=src&COLOR=689%20EVENING%20BLUE&t_type=cat

What would the differences be, and is it worth going up the extra price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Dare2be jacked there has 10,000mm waterproofing so will be ok unless you get decent rain. Has loads of venting as well.

HH gear generally going to be better that Dare2be but the jacket you've bought seems OK on paper, I wouldn't have paid £100 for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Any Cyber Monday bargains that anyone came across. I still need to get my hands on some stuff and see that Mountain Warehouse have another 20% off on top of any existing discounts so finding it very tempting.

A few have popped into my mailbox today but nothing that I need.

www.ss20.com

www.sportsdirect.com

www.annscottage.com

Some good savings on bt. www.blue-tomato.com/en-IE/xtag/allesmussraus/

Check www.snowandrock.com There might be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

A few have popped into my mailbox today but nothing that I need.

Check www.snowandrock.com There might be something.

There is! Arbor Element. I don't think I could justify it to the wife though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

If anyone come across a decent reduction on mittens (for snowboarding) let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

lbj666 wrote: »
    If anyone come across a decent reduction on mittens (for snowboarding) let me know

http://www.sportpursuit.com/ always have lots of gloves & mittens going for a good price. In fact I'm expecting a pair to arrive to me in the next day or two :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Aldi have 100% merino wool base layers this Thursday.
    Top, short sleeve €20 and long sleeve €25, and long johns €20 as well.
    Helmets €20 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 psydereyes

Was in the trespass store in Stephens green yesterday and they have started a 50% sale on all clothes/gloves/hats/base layers etc saw a few decent ski jackets....

:)

Was in TK in Stephens green there. goretex Haglofs shells for 199, schofel goretex shells for 140 and mountain hardware gear that was nicely discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I need a decent pair of sunglasses. Had a good Roxy pair, but they've been sat on too many times, and the superglue just won't stick to the superglue anymore :(
    Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

In a similar vein I'm looking for a good set of goggles for boarding. My set are about 7 years old and have a few too many scratches.

Ideally some model that I can change the lens to adapt to bright and dim conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,996 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Saw theses pants on mandmdirect for anyone who is XXL (40")

http://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/QW847/Trespass-Mens-Gallop-LT-Ski-Pants-Black

Cant go too far wrong for €11...

TK Maxx seem to have finished their ski stuff, hasn't been any new stock the couple I've been into in recent weeks.

• Advertisement

Rew wrote:
    TK Maxx seem to have finished their ski stuff, hasn't been any new stock the couple I've been into in recent weeks.

There was some new Haglofs and Schoffel stuff in just before Christmas but other than that in think your right. if you know what you're looking for I think TK Maxx is the business. in remember last year they had incred mammut gear.

Advertisement