Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sochi Olympic thread

Options
  • 07-01-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭

Ok so with the 2 big Olympic news stories today it is probably time to start this.

Lyndsey Vonn is now officially withdrawn from Sochi

Rule changes; FIS have announced a rule change for Super Combined qualification which should see Ligity, Fenniger and Zetal qualifying and maybe Bode

Also Irish team announcement the 22nd Jan Conor Lyne confirmed as Male Alpine now skiing to 68 points which is insanely low and had a ski with him on Subday at a night race in Chamonix he is in good form and ready!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

A nice pre games video from the British team from their base in Breck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XOyDJEy3YY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

i have to hope Aimee Fuller makes it as she lives nearby in Northern Ireland.
    she has a Facebook page , amazing lifestyle the top athletes have, inspiring to my own kids.

She will do well! She is a super athlete and gives so much back to the sport!
    Also an incredible nice person

hawkwind23 Speak of the devil!!

http://t.co/Lz7uJN2Kbu

Full Olympic Schedule here, for those of you looking for Skicross it falls under Freestyle events.

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/schedule-and-results

• Advertisement

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/athletes/julia-mancuso/A-Disarming-Olympian.html

A nice little piece with Jules Mancuso, in the absence of Vonn she will be looking to bring home the Speed medals for the US! She has a habit of performing at the big events

BBC Promo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-lsSKOlV0I

Bumped into one of Switzerland's top female hopefuls tonight when out for dinner! The buzz is building!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Fattes wrote: »
    BBC Promo!

Bumped into one of Switzerland's top female hopefuls tonight when out for dinner! The buzz is building!

It's quite 'epic' - very cheesey, a bit too dark.

I saw it for the first time the other night, it didn't dawn on me for 30 seconds or so what the hell was going on, or what it was about.

Like a promo for Middle Earth as a winter holiday location.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Winter Olympics are the games for the proper tough olympians. None of those safe sports of the summer Olympics, serious injury is part and parcel of a large portion of the sports in the winter games, sunburn or a twisted ankle is possibly the biggest danger in the summer.

It's a suitably ominous intro I think for the games, I like it.

Anyone notice the skis being carried the wrong way round ha ha

Johnny Bramley the man responsible is a top lad he was at our wedding the coverage will be epic

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    The Winter Olympics are the games for the proper tough olympians. None of those safe sports of the summer Olympics,

There is no sport as dangerous and as cruel as alpine skiing one mistake of a couple of hundreds of a secon can be the difference between a medal and finishing. In the bottom 10 and if it goes wrong, well it is going to hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Horrible crash for Thomas Morgenstern on Friday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_n84bvZW_I

He sustained head and lung injuries, but he's making a good recovery and is still hoping to make Sochi. These people are machines!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

BBC Promo!

I like it. Somebody said so already but it resembles something from middle Earth.
    Cant wait for the games, just over 3 weeks now. Im even looking forward to the bleedin' opening ceremony...........Anybody any idea of what time over here the events will take place? 4 yrs ago I was up til 5am most nights.

tunguska wrote: »
    ..........Anybody any idea of what time over here the events will take place? 4 yrs ago I was up til 5am most nights.

7am-12 most days

tunguska wrote: »

Sad fact the Alpine programme has been the same schedule for every Winter Olympics ever!!

If you want to get into the mood check out the super combined from Wengen that was run today great stuff

If you want to get into the mood check out the super combined from Wengen that was run today great stuff

Yeah Svindal was posting on facebook about it. Ligety numero uno at the moment, Svindal 5th and Bode miller 9th. On bbc 2 sunday at 5:15pm, only 45mins though.

I won't ruin it but the French chocked and handed it over with nearly a 2 second lead at the start if the downhill

That said the Lauberhorn is murder! 2.15 + of downhill feel the burn.

Full downhill is on this weekend too

So no Simon Dumont on team USA!! Huge news, Chemmy Alcott waiting to see if the BSS will give her a wild card oh &

JAMAICA WE HAVE A BOBSLED TEAM!!

There 2 man sled team have qualified

5th for Aimee fuller in Canada should see her onto the Olympic team :)

you could make a movie out of the Jamaican bob team!

• Advertisement

I see Lolo Jones has made the US Bob sled team. Really happy for her, hope she gets a medal out of it.

Brits have announced their team today,

Dave riding and Chemmy Alcott are the only Alpine athletes, Freestyle includes James Woodsy woods, Katie Summerhays, Rowan Chesire and Aimee Fuller

Amazingly no ski cross athletes despite Emily sarsfiel & Pam Thouboune meeting the Olympic standard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Liking the knowledge you all have Olympic teams, potential here for a tipsters thread for those that like a punt? ;)

It appears I am not the only one surprised by Emily sarsfields exclusion!! With Chemmy being granted an exception this could get messy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/winter-olympics/10592234/British-ski-cross-No-1-Emily-Sarsfield-threatens-legal-action-against-BOA-over-her-non-selection-for-Sochi.html

stevire wrote: »
    Liking the knowledge you all have Olympic teams, potential here for a tipsters thread for those that like a punt? ;)

I have been asked to write a piece for a web site that I will summary here once published , it's basically an Alpine freestyle event description with some names to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭prunudo

With my limited knowledge of all the qualifying races and back story I can't understand how they could leave Sarsfeild out over Alcott who is coming back from a broken leg injury.

It appears I am not the only one surprised by Emily sarsfields exclusion!! With Chemmy being granted an exception this could get messy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/winter-olympics/10592234/British-ski-cross-No-1-Emily-Sarsfield-threatens-legal-action-against-BOA-over-her-non-selection-for-Sochi.html

yeah that seemed an odd decision

and sending 4 cross country ?
    and only 2 downhill skiers , one who is injured.

seems an odd selection process.

also worth finding out who gets funded for Sochi and how many hangers on there are........

i find at these events that the folk who are dedicated and love their sport are forgot about and self-fund , then when a jolly like the Olympics come up the vultures are out in force.

this selection process seems very unfair

also worth noting that Sarsfield seems to be the highest rated of any of the athletes going?

The BSS has selection criteria far higher than what is actually required by the IOC for olympic qualification. So for example, at the last World Champs there was no British Alpine skiers! Even thought he BSS have a quota they are allowed to enter!

Their requirement for ski cross is Two top-24 finishes during the current Olympic cycle as well as a place inside the top 32 of the world rankings. Sadly for Emily she meet the top 24 finish bit but dropped outside the top 32 just this year. However due to injury and drop out the IOC offered the BSS a place for her and they refused it as they did not meet their criteria! Its bloody weird.

• Advertisement

With my limited knowledge of all the qualifying races and back story I can't understand how they could leave Sarsfeild out over Alcott who is coming back from a broken leg injury.

Chemmy meet the olympic standard and the BSS standard at one point in this olympic cycle but they gave her an exemption to the criteria in relation to results this year as her 2 races since returning from injury have been cancelled due to weather.

Advertisement