Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you wear a helmet?

Options
  • 03-10-2009 8:27pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We had a poll before, but why not have another one and see if anyone's opinion has changed this year.

Earlier this year Natasha Richardson died after a fall on a beginner slope during a lesson at a resort in Canada, BBC News. Now the owners of that resort, who also own Whistler where the Olympics will be held next year as well as other resorts, are now adding a "requirement" for helmets to be worn at all their mountains, MSNBC. Admittedly that report contradicts itself a bit with the words requirement and then recommend though, but we'll ignore that for now.

During my last 3 months of skiing in New Zealand I've never been more scared on the mountain than during giving demo lessons on a busy beginner hill and the number of loose flying boards and people out of control crashing into us was scary. I was much happier going down any other run in resort than being on the beginner hill.

So will you be wearing a helmet this year?

Do you wear a helmet? 106 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 106 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robhughes111

I have worked 5 seasons skiing and boarding and I wear a helmet. It was a case of once(four times) bitten twice shy. After being knocked out a few times in crashes - I decided to wear a helmet - the right helmet doesn't affect the skiing or vision - can get a bit sweaty in spring but not too bad. Not many people die skiing or boarding from bangs to the head(mostly avalanches) but it is nice to stay conscious if you clatter your head off a tree or some ice.

Here is some research...
    According to Jasper Shealy, who has studied ski related injuries for more than 30 years, recent research has shown that the use of helmet reduces the incidence of any head injury by 30 to 50 percent, but that the decrease in head injuries is generally limited to the less serious injuries such as scalp lacerations, mild concussions (Grade I) and contusions to the head, as opposed to more serious injuries such as concussions greater than Grade II, skull fractures, closed head injuries and the like. There has been no significant reduction in fatalities over the past nine seasons even as the use of helmets overall has increased to more than 33 percent, and to as much as 40 percent within the population at greatest risk—experienced young adult male skiers and snowboarders. The pattern of death seems to be affected by the use of a helmet. Most fatalities are due to multiple causes or injuries. Approximately two-thirds of those who die who do not use a helmet have as the first cause of death some injury to the head. For those who die while wearing a helmet, only about one-third have a head injury as the first cause of death. It seems that while the use of a helmet may shift the distribution of the first cause of death, it is not sufficient to reduce the overall rate of death. In incidents leading to death, it appears that the severity of the incident simply overwhelms the ability of the helmet to prevent death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I wear one out of choice and always reccomend them to client that they are a worthy investment. Have worn one all but my first year on the slope and have been greatfull of it twice.

Spent 30 minutes of a training day with one of the worlds largest ski companies watching helmet testing and the benefits and research. Lots of very scientific and physics crap thrown in for good measure with lots of vidows of crash test dummies.

Incredible to see how some people are so determined never to wear one but hey its their Noggin that will take the floggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

I've never worn a helmet, but I would be a fairly conservative skier now.

I'm perfectly happy on red runs and have no particular ambition to go on black runs or off piste. My lack of ambition may be linked to one bad experience a few years ago, and it's taken me a long time to come back. Because of that I don't take risks too often and am not likely to be in search of too much speed.

Given the amount of times I've been wiped out by other skiers though (usually on the blue runs) I will seriously consider it this year.

My friend wore one last year - and she said it made her feel a lot more confident and less wary - maybe it's what I need to get my mojo back :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I bought a helmet two seasons ago.

Last season, I took a fall, and while I was on the ground, I think some kid skied into my head.

I'm not certain, but I think that's what hit me...it was certainly something that happened some second after I hit the ground.

Cracked my helmet...right though. Outer casing...inner foam...right through.

I have since replaced my first helmet with another...the exact same make and model.

It did its job...and I won't go on the slopes without one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Definitely... if I can get away this season that is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Outsidethebox

11 - 0 to the yes camp and not surprising. I started last year and will always wear one from now on. Gives an added sense of security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

depeands really some time i need to and other times im to clumsey with it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Yes, IMO daft not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rhymenocerous

Yes, I pretty much always wear a helmet. Keeps me warmer when the snow is falling, protects my head from falls, and has headphones built in. No reason not to wear one in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

got one a while back and wore it on most days, but on one of the days i didnt wear it in a white out i misjudged a natural offpiste feature and landed on rocks. broke a few teeth in the end.

whether i wore a helmet wouldnt have affected the outcome of that occasion as i landed teeth first in a real american history X style but since then i wear it everyday because its just not worth it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I too wear a helmet. Im riding since 2000 but Im only wearing a helmet the past 2 years. I feel the helmet gives me more confidence to try new things on and off piste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

It was my first time skiing last year. I didn't wear a helmet. Having spoken to one of the ski school teachers (not mine) in the pub one evening I have been convinced to wear one. He wears one himself. I think it's more to do with somebody else hitting me than me doing the falling but I don't think it matters either way. I'll definately be wearing one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

I've been clocked at over 100Km/h,if i was on a bike i would have a helmet on and the law deems i wear one,so yes for sure i will

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Haven't been since I started skiing but will be buying one this year. Starting to go much faster and on rougher stuff so its about time I got one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm glad to see that more people do seem to be wearing helmets now.

Something people should be more conscious of though is that the most dangerous place on the mountain is probably not the scarily steep black at the top that nobody goes down, it's the gentle blues at the bottom of the hill that are over crowded with a combination of beginners and people who think they can ski or board speeding through the middle of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Bought one myself 2 years ago. Just saw it in TK max and said what the hell I'll buy it. Got ripped apart by my mates (usually 20 of us go each year) as the nerd etc.

Had a bad fall 3 days in and cracked the helmet off ice. I would have been badly injured without it.

The year after at least half of the group wore helmets.

My silence was deafening.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

robinph wrote: »
    it's the gentle blues at the bottom of the hill that are over crowded with a combination of beginners and people who think they can ski or board speeding through the middle of it all.

Exactly.... A few years ago I was waiting at the back of a line for a chair lift in Austria (St Johann in Tirol) and a teenage "hero" skier hit me from behind. I never even heard or saw him comming.I went down like a sack of spuds but thankfully I wasnt hurt. That helped me make up my mind to get a helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Haha the poll results are amazing compared to last season, not one nay-sayer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Vail, Compulsory for all kids and staff on the mountain to wear helmets

CMR Resorts: All staff must wear helmets while teaching classes as will kids and adults will have to sign a release waiver If you are working or teaching in the park you will have to wear a lid

Italy: All kids must wear a helmet

Austria: It will happen this year or next.

The times they are a changing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭AndRoiD

they also look badass IMO :D

• Advertisement

Is there any way to pimp them up a bit? I'd love to make it look like masterchiefs...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Overflow wrote: »
    Haha the poll results are amazing compared to last season, not one nay-sayer!

Sorry to ruin the stats.....:p

Isnt the supposed benfits of wearing a helmet not all its cracked up to be? I certainly dont doubt that they are of some benefit but they are not all they are cracked up to be. I might consider them at some point but for the moment, I will go without.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/5014855/Ski-safety-should-helmets-be-mandatory-The-case-against.html

Quote "There is evidence that helmets may in fact promote a false sense of security - a higher percentage of those who wear helmets travel faster and admit to taking risks than those who do not. "

I never felt that I was bulletproof because I had a helmet on...

This articles title and initial paragraph are a bit misleading.

Quote "In my opinion we should encourage, but not force, people to wear helmets"

Helmets are a good thing, and anything that can improve safety without affecting maneuverability or enjoyment should be endorsed.

The article states that more than half of the people involved in fatal ski area accidents in the United States last season were wearing a helmet at the time of their accident.
    I think this is an indication of the increase in use of helmets rather than helmets being a contributing factor in accidents on the slopes.

Personally, I think they should be mandatory. Seatbelts are a little uncomfortable at first, but they save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭LeoD

I wouldn't wear a helmet as the research posted at the start of this thread shows they haven't made any difference with regards preventing serious injury to recreational skiers. Recreational skiing is not a hazardous activity and shouldn't be treated as one. And please, enough of the "if it wasn't for my helmet I would have been killed" panic stories. As the man said, "if my aunt had b**ls she'd be my uncle".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

A helmet is not going to save your life. If your in a life threatening incident then it's already too late.

What a helmet will save you from is collisions with lifts, stray boards, stray skis and stray people and the resulting sore head and mild concussion. I would not be concerned at all with going of the top of a mountain and down some scary black run without a helmet on. If I have a fall there then it will either be into nice soft powder, or I'll be dead from major injuries to the rest of my limbs, a head injury is not a major concern there though.

What I won't do though is hang around on any slopes without a helmet on where there are actually other people, or on shallower slopes where you won't roll out of the fall. Fall on a steep slope and you'll slide a long way and get laughed at in the bar afterwards, fall on a shallow slope and the ground will hit you hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm not sure myself tbh. I don't usually wear a hat as my head gets very warm and I get cranky! How are they for ventilation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

This is only our second time going, but me and the bird decided we're going to wear helmets..

What did my head in before was when i took my goggles up onto my hat, the heat from my head was steaming up the goggles, this doesn't happen with a helmet, so thats a bonus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

bonkey wrote: »
    I bought a helmet two seasons ago.

Last season, I took a fall, and while I was on the ground, I think some kid skied into my head.

I'm not certain, but I think that's what hit me...it was certainly something that happened some second after I hit the ground.

Cracked my helmet...right though. Outer casing...inner foam...right through.

I have since replaced my first helmet with another...the exact same make and model.

It did its job...and I won't go on the slopes without one again.
    Had a similar experience to above. Skiied for years without one but bought helmet a couple of years ago after clocking my speed on a GPS at nearly 100kph.
    A couple of days after buying the helmet I fell on a slalom course and hit the ground so hard that the helmet cracked right through, inner foam and all.
    Went straight out and bought another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Personally, I think they should be mandatory. Seatbelts are a little uncomfortable at first, but they save lives.

With all due respect, that's a load of *.*&**^***.

If there are advantages, as others have said, it is at the lower end of the injury scale. There is little or no comparison between the efficacy of seatbelts and helmets in skiing. Nevermind the fact that the lack of seatbelts can put others at risk ("'twas the fella w/o the seatbelt that did the damage etc...) which is never the case with ski helmets.

Just because certain things might make things a little bit safer does not mean they should all be mandatory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

drkpower wrote: »
    Nevermind the fact that the lack of seatbelts can put others at risk ("'twas the fella w/o the seatbelt that did the damage etc...) which is never the case with ski helmets.

Actually, there was a Czech politician that was skiing with his helmet on, he hit a woman who wasn't wearing a helmet and apparently his helmet hitting her head killed her.

Had they both been wearing helmets..

[Edit] On inspection, i heard this story wrong. Here's what really happened (Between a German Politician and a Slovak Woman!)

He was involved in a skiing collision in Styria, Austria on January 1, 2009, in which he suffered severe injuries.[1] Althaus was skiing down an expert run, but accidentally wandered onto an easy slope, where he was skiing in the wrong direction[2], whereupon he and a 41-year-old Slovak woman collided. The woman subsequently died from her injuries. Althaus was wearing a skiing helmet, while the woman was not.[3][4] Althaus was fined €33,300 for negligent homicide.[5]

While his helmet probably did kill her, it was completely his fault [/edit]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement