Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FTB Mortgage interest relief

• 06-12-2006 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

We all know the limits have increased, doubled in fact.
    Now, my question is, I haven't got around to working it out yet,
    On an average mortgage of 350k, how much will this person 'save', and how many interest rate rises of .25% does it take to nullify this (ie. what size interest rate increase does this cancel out?).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Question #2. for two single people on a joint mortgage do they both get the €8000 relief or do they need to be married to get €16000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

Is this for people who have not yet bought a house, or does it also apply to people who are currently living in their first house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Anyone who buys a home for the first time is elligible for this relief until 7 years have passed since the date of purchase. This is the case retrospectively also. I believe.

Example:
    300k Mortgage
    @ 4.25% (ECB 3.25 + 1)
    30 year term
    12 month interest payment (ignoring 1st month, so months 2-13) = 12,634.33

Person will pay over these 12 months, 12,634.33interest + 5,075.51principle. Average monthly mortgage, interest+principle = 1,475.82 (A)
    Single person, 8,000 credit.
    This person will save 1600 in a year, or monthly = 133.33 (B)
    Monthly payment A-B = 1,342.5

Now increase rate by X%, what will they pay? (including interest relief)
    .25 = 1,386.76
    .5 = 1,431.64
    .75 = 1,477.13 (see A)
    1 = 1,523.28

So increasing rates by .75% nullifies the interest relief. Bearing in mind half the relief was available last year... I haven't done this yet, but it looks like it knocks off at least one .25% rate increase (.375% increase). For a single person, not married.

Amazingly we're getting this .25% when the ECB meet tomorrow.

http://www.jeacle.ie/mortgage/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Some good sums there.

Maybe the two threads should be merged?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

does this apply to ppl that bought there 1st house last yr ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

blahblah06 wrote:
    does this apply to ppl that bought there 1st house last yr ?

I think it applies to houses bought in the last 7 years

Advertisement