Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've Joined a Cult

• 18-06-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭

About 3 and 1/2 months ago, I changed my diet completely. Call it Atkins, paleo, primal or whatever..... it is a very high (saturated) fat, low carbohydrate way of eating. I have pretty much eliminated all sugar, grain, potatoes, pasta, fruit juices, beans, pulses and rice from my diet. For the last 3 months I have had 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 eggs and a bit of cheese for breakfast and have never felt better. All cooked in Lard or Butter when I do it. The work canteen grills it all, so thankfully I am not ingesting any vegetable oils.

For the next month or so I'm going to post some links to information for anyone who is interested in this. If you disagree with the information in the videos I would suggest that you address your complaints to the scientists/doctors/nutritionists in the videos and not to me. I am only an amateur.

So what made me think this would be a good idea?

It started with this article: http://www.runnersworld.co.za/nutrition/novel-dietary-ideas/
    and this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsx72V4IpJY

Tim Noakes is not a Quack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Noakes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Here is a multi-part interview with world leading lipidologist Thomas Dayspring and award winning science journalist Gary Taubes. It puts me at ease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRoxvI1p1Bc&list=PL0A01EBCE2711A5A5&index=1

Taubes deserves a nobel prize for his writing on nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

jesus what a boring pain in the hole that would be to only eat that stuff for the rest of your life. i would rather be a little lumpy than suffer through all that nonsense!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did something like this for a few months a few years ago, worked well for maybe 10 weeks and then boredom sat in and I couldn't handle the taste of any more fries. I did lost about 1/2 stone in total, but it went on again rapidly.

Then about 3 years ago I changed my diet to smaller more regular portions and did daily exercise, running and cycling and have thrown off nearly 3 stone.

Each to their own, but short term it might have a result but long term it might cause more harm.

jesus what a boring pain in the hole that would be to only eat that stuff for the rest of your life. i would rather be a little lumpy than suffer through all that nonsense!

Depends what you consider suffering. On a regular diet I suffer from blood sugar drops, constant tiredness, an inability to get out of bed, muscle inflammation post excercise, general irritability (no way!), constantly run down. All eliminated. You might be grand on a high carb diet. Some people thrive on that. Some of us don't.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Depends what you consider suffering. On a regular diet I suffer from blood sugar drops, constant tiredness, an inability to get out of bed, muscle inflammation post excercise, general irritability (no way!), constantly run down. All eliminated. You might be grand on a high carb diet. Some people thrive on that. Some of us don't.

Thats not a regular diet, thats just gimmick. If you take in the right portions, eat good food, non processed as much as possible and get plenty of sleep you will not suffer those. Inflammation isn't a dietary cause, see your GP or physio.

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    Did something like this for a few months a few years ago, worked well for maybe 10 weeks and then boredom sat in and I couldn't handle the taste of any more fries. I did lost about 1/2 stone in total, but it went on again rapidly.
    I didn't have any weight problem. My BMI was in the normal range. I changed my diet for the other wellness issues mentioned.
    Each to their own, but short term it might have a result but long term it might cause more harm.
    Unless my body is playing once massive practical joke on me then I would say this is healthy for me. I'm still waiting for it to kick back and tell me this is wrong. I went into this expecting it to be wrong but it I have no reason yet to believe so. I will update if it all goes horribly wrong. I'll be getting a cholestorol check in the next week or two. I'll get some historical results from my doctor so that I can make a comparisron. At my last check (about 3 years ago) he said it was slightly high.

Thats not a regular diet, thats just gimmick. If you take in the right portions, eat good food, non processed as much as possible and get plenty of sleep you will not suffer those.

When I said High carb diet in the previous post. I meant relative to the amount I eat now. It was not 80% of my diet or anything bonkers like that. I always got plenty of sleep in fact I am probably the best sleeper I know and had a healthy diet. Maybe slightly too much sugar. Had a balanced diet, have a lots of good options in the work canteen (fresh fruit / Salad counter / fish / lean meat). I cook pretty much all my own meals and eat very little processed food. And excercised portion control.

Inflammation isn't a dietary cause, see your GP or physio.
    Well I'll have to disagree on that. Been to a physio. main piece of advise. Take in a load of carbs after excercise! to restore glycogen. I didn't bother arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

wow well i have none of those problems so if it works for you then so be it. i look after what i eat for the most part. lean meat, veg, fruit, oily fish, minimal dairy, hardly any starchy carbs. no chips. roast potatoes of a sunday :)

excercise three times a week minimum trying for 5 at present. i am 12 stone on the nose at 5.11 height. defo need to cut out the beer or severly cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Specifically, what about the meals other than breakfast? Or do you just eat three breakfasts a day?

wow well i have none of those problems so if it works for you then so be it. i look after what i eat for the most part. lean meat, veg, fruit, oily fish, minimal dairy, hardly any starchy carbs. no chips. roast potatoes of a sunday :)
    I had already known that starchy/stodgy meals made me sleepy. So I mostly ate salads in work anyway. I still do have the occasional spud with a roast, a bit of brown bread here and there with a salad and a bun on my double quarter pounder on a night out. So to say I eat 0 carbs may be an exaggeration, but my consumption is tending towards 0.
    excercise three times a week minimum trying for 5 at present. i am 12 stone on the nose at 5.11 height. defo need to cut out the beer or severly cut down.

I am almost exactly the same build as you. And was exercising 4-5 days a week. I have now stopped drinking beer and sugary shorts (was never much of a fan) and now mainly drink red wine and the occasional Guinness. Hangovers are drastically reduced as long as I don't get mouldy drunk. I would often have to stay in bed till 7pm to get over a night out even as a young fella. The monday/tuesday fear has been eliminated and can only be induced by going on an all weekend bender.

• Advertisement

When I said High carb diet in the previous post. I meant relative to the amount I eat now. It was not 80% of my diet or anything bonkers like that. I always got plenty of sleep in fact I am probably the best sleeper I know and had a healthy diet. Maybe slightly too much sugar. Had a balanced diet, have a lots of good options in the work canteen (fresh fruit / Salad counter / fish / lean meat). I cook pretty much all my own meals and eat very little processed food. And excercised portion control.

Well I'll have to disagree on that. Been to a physio. main piece of advise. Take in a load of carbs after excercise! to restore glycogen. I didn't bother arguing.

That alone would keep your weight up. Its to understand what your body can and can't take. Its like eating well all week and then having 10 pints at the weekend, your not going to lose a lb of week.
    500 cals extra over the week equates circa 1/2 lb gain.

If you type in "Cocaine is good" into youtube, you will probably find someone who is promoting cocaine.

As I said each to their own, but short term "results" won't determine a diet like that long term. I have been there and tried them all, fads at the end of the day.
    Eat right, measure it, understand it and then you will get results.

I had already known that starchy/stodgy meals made me sleepy. So I mostly ate salads in work anyway. I still do have the occasional spud with a roast, a bit of brown bread here and there with a salad and a bun on my double quarter pounder on a night out. So to say I eat 0 carbs may be an exaggeration, but my consumption is tending towards 0.

I am almost exactly the same build as you. And was exercising 4-5 days a week. I have now stopped drinking beer and sugary shorts (was never much of a fan) and now mainly drink red wine and the occasional Guinness. Hangovers are drastically reduced as long as I don't get mouldy drunk. I would often have to stay in bed till 7pm to get over a night out even as a young fella. The monday/tuesday fear has been eliminated and can only be induced by going on an all weekend bender.

Get off the fry up diet and you will lose even more weight. What you changed above alone would have reduced your weight.

Get off the fry up diet and you will lose even more weight. What you changed above alone would have reduced your weight.
    I don't need to lose weight. My BMI is fine and has been fine for years. Ask anyone on the Evil 200.

That's me in the red pre-diet change. It was roughly 23.7 depending on whether I had taken a dump or not. Though I didn't own a weight scale so my weight was only checked infrequently when at my parents house.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81930344&postcount=1395

Ok, so you didn't need to lose weight and all your stats are ok.

It will be interesting to see what the results are in a years time for sure.

Good luck with it.

That alone would keep your weight up. Its to understand what your body can and can't take. Its like eating well all week and then having 10 pints at the weekend, your not going to lose a lb of week.
    500 cals extra over the week equates circa 1/2 lb gain.
    Like I said, I did not have a weight problem. And I do not believe in calories in calories out or exercise as a means of maintaining weight.
    If you type in "Cocaine is good" into youtube, you will probably find someone who is promoting cocaine.
    Reliable data from long term dietary studies repeatedly show that a high saturated fat low carbohydrate diet are healthy. *EDIT*. Let me correct this. What most of the studies show is that lowering saturated fat does not reduce all cause mortality to statistically significant degree. Anyone interested should read about the French Paradox, you could also add the Austrians and the Swiss in there as they have the highest consumption of fat in Europe. And the lowest rates of heart disease. Japanese traditionally had low saturated fat in take and low heart disease but an enormous incidence of stroke. A reduction in stroke has closely correlated with an increase of saturated fat in the japenese diet. I underline correlate as causation and correlation need to very closely inspected when talking about nutritional science.
    As I said each to their own, but short term "results" won't determine a diet like that long term. I have been there and tried them all, fads at the end of the day.
    Eat right, measure it, understand it and then you will get results.

I have long term results on the "correct" diet and they were terrible. I have 3 months results on a LCHF diet and they are overwhelmingly positive. And I refuse to measure calories in and calories out. It's a joke. The daily requirement is a guestimate. Measuring carlories burned is guesswork and measuring calories consumed is also guesswork. And i am not recording those 3 dodgy figures in to a spreadsheet every day. It's craziness.

Lumen wrote: »
    Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Specifically, what about the meals other than breakfast? Or do you just eat three breakfasts a day?
    I'll get back to you. I need to do some work today.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well Pete, your "new" diet comprises pretty much everything I detest (except for the cheese and butter)

Beasty wrote: »
    Well Pete, your "new" diet comprises pretty much everything I detest (except for the cheese and butter)

Just had pork belly for lunch with extra crackling and also my colleague's crackling. With a salad. Man I love dieting.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Pete is this a wind up? Be honest or has Homer Simpson hacked into your boards account.

Are you still training and cycling on this diet, surely complex cabs are all cyclist friend? What do you do for fuel on a spin instead of bannanas/jelly beans etc. pull a bit of Clonakilty Black Pudding out of your pack pocket ;-) I would be intrigued if you find a no/low carb diet is working for you, but you must realise there has to be some serious health consequences to living off that crap. I will admit my own diet is not the best and I tend to eat like a horse but even for me this sounds mad. Also how are you not getting sick of sausage/eggs/bacon, I find even when I'm away for a few days in a hotel after 3 days i get sick of the Fries and find myself reaching for the fruit/cereal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I would love sausage/eggs/bacon every day -especially if it was good for me hell I'd eat nothing but if I could :)

• Advertisement

detones wrote: »
    Pete is this a wind up? Be honest or has Homer Simpson hacked into your boards account.
    Given my posting history I understand your skepticism. But no it is not a wind up.
    Are you still training and cycling on this diet, surely complex cabs are all cyclist friend?

not mine. And not it seems Bryan McCrystal and he's a proper athlete. I was training on it and had abundant energy, I started playing football again as I was feeling 17 again but had a recurrence of an old hamstring issue when stretching for a ball. So training is light at the moment and I'm off the football. I did a good lot of the Evil 200 with no training. Hamstring/Groin did me in towards the end, not energy levels.
    What do you do for fuel on a spin instead of bannanas/jelly beans etc. pull a bit of Clonakilty Black Pudding out of your pack pocket ;-)
    mainly almonds, brazil nuts, macadamias, maybe some chorizo sausage and an egg. Absolutely no sugar, cereal bars or fruity/sugary drinks.
    I would be intrigued if you find a no/low carb diet is working for you, but you must realise there has to be some serious health consequences to living off that crap..
    That's why I have read extensively this entire time. There is no scientific backup to most of our modern dietary recommendations. And there is nothing wrong with animal fat. Quite the opposite.
    I will admit my own diet is not the best and I tend to eat like a horse but even for me this sounds mad. Also how are you not getting sick of sausage/eggs/bacon, I find even when I'm away for a few days in a hotel after 3 days i get sick of the Fries and find myself reaching for the fruit/cereal.
    It depends how the fry is cooked. A fry in vegetable oil is truly disgusting. Done in ghee butter on a low heat it is thing of wonder.

I would love sausage/eggs/bacon every day -especially if it was good for me hell I'd eat nothing but if I could :)

Well you would overdose on protein which is not healthy. You need veg and fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Well you would overdose on protein which is not healthy. You need veg and fat.

booo ;(

On a serious note though, I've recently started to cut down on the carbs myself -not jumped in to quite the extent you have, but I could see myself doing it in the not to distant future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

He tells a lovely story all based on a falacy. 'So thats what we were designed to eat...' ah, says who? Show me the design plans...

On a serious note though, I've recently started to cut down on the carbs myself -not jumped in to quite the extent you have, but I could see myself doing it in the not to distant future

I'm not advising anyone take this on if you feel healthy on your current diet or don't suffer from blood sugar slumps and sugar cravings. I am just relaying my experiences for anyone who may have the same issues as me on a 'correct' diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Well if you think it's working for you fair play. I have some serious doubts about it and have not had time to read the links you posted yet, but will have a gander later. On a positive note if the new diet doesn't work out you can always use the excess grease the Cardiac Surgeon clears from your quadruple bypass operation to lube your bike ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

I love these anecdotal stories we have to prove everything about everyone from a case study with a sample size of 1. What about bias, confounding factors, recall error?

if im going to put my faith in any diet (theres not many with scientific backing) it wont be one I can purchase for 4.99 at a truckers restaraunt at 1am thank you...

Dr Nic wrote: »
    He tells a lovely story all based on a falacy. 'So thats what we were designed to eat...' ah, says who? Show me the design plans...
    So he's lose with his terminology. I'd take a bet he believes in evolution. Like I said Tim Noakes is a very highly respected sports scientist. Sports scientist to SA when they last won the rugby world cup. His book waterlogged definitively dispelled all the hydration nonsense the drinks companys spout. He also wrote the lore of running which was a hugely influential. And like all good scientists he admits when is wrong. He admits he got it wrong about nutrition.

Send him an email if you disagree.

I wasn't expecting this much of a response. I'll be back tomorrow with another link and more heresy(idiocy!). I'm off to lick a cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dr Nic, which part of "I've Joined a Cult" do you not understand?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement