Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Olympics on TV

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

PeakOutput wrote: »
    does anyone know how/when they will decide if ski cross will be kept?

and does anyone think if it is that it is something countries like us could get decent at? as far as the ski events go i think its structure could definitely allow a country like ours to compete

I think they would be mad not to keep it!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The skicross was a full event this year so my understanding is that it will be kept by default. Before becoming a full event though it would have been a demo last time round which is where they get to decide if they keep it or not. The short track was a demo event in Calgary which that commentator Willf O'reilly one one of the events but didn't get an official medal, but then has been a full medal event since then for instance.

Curling and Skeleton have only been back in the games for a few years, but they may not have been demo events before rejoining as they had been in the Olympics before, all of the board events are relatively new as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

ok so if its a demo there are no medals handed out? cause i could have sworn they said these were the first gold medals for ski cross

and ye i think they would be mad to not keep it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think it was demoed at the last games.

Edit: Seems that they didn't feel the need to demo the ski cross before making it a full medal event, they usually do though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freestyle_skiing_at_the_Winter_Olympics#Events

Curling took up too much TV coverage IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Also Peter Northug in cross-country skiing, and that's partly due to the fact that he's absolutely nuts.
    Northug is some class of an animal, that sprint he put in at the end of the 50k yesterday was super-human. I'd also nominate Martina Sablikova for taking two golds and a bronze in the speed skating.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

robinph wrote: »
    The skicross was a full event this year so my understanding is that it will be kept by default. Before becoming a full event though it would have been a demo last time round which is where they get to decide if they keep it or not. The short track was a demo event in Calgary which that commentator Willf O'reilly one one of the events but didn't get an official medal, but then has been a full medal event since then for instance.

Curling and Skeleton have only been back in the games for a few years, but they may not have been demo events before rejoining as they had been in the Olympics before, all of the board events are relatively new as well.

Whatever happened to the 'Moguls' event. It was a ski or board event where the athelete negotiated a large number of small bumps down a hill. It may have been one of the first board event in an Olympics. (Maybe Calgary).

LiamMc wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the 'Moguls' event. It was a ski or board event where the athelete negotiated a large number of small bumps down a hill. It may have been one of the first board event in an Olympics. (Maybe Calgary).

The moguls event was certainly there this year, it was where Canada got their first Gold at a home Olympics, but it is only for skiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Completely agree. Mind numbing drivel.

Aidric wrote: »
    Completely agree. Mind numbing drivel.

Nah, the curling was great. You do have to work to understand their tactics, but whilst they might not be throwing themselves down a mountain at high speed I found it great to watch. Rhona Martin explaining what was going on helped.

• Advertisement

Nah, the curling was great. You do have to work to understand their tactics, but whilst they might not be throwing themselves down a mountain at high speed I found it great to watch. Rhona Martin explaining what was going on helped.

That my well be true. But I still say it got too much coverage. About 50% of the time I turned on the olympics it was curling. Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Curling is the Scottish input to the Winter Olympics. There was a chance of a GB medal for both genders, blokes were World Champions. teams played twice a day, I think. That's alot of ice -time. Politically, if the BBC showed too little of curling, Scottish viewers would have had a problem because the teams appeared to be made up of Scots and the Heritage aspect. If the BBC waited 'til the medal round before broadcasting, it would have being too late for GB teams so it was a good call by the beeb.

Is Rhona Martin the athlete that shouts "Hurreeee!, Hurreeee!" when she competes?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

She's the big fat auld one! Don't want to imagine what she shouts thanks!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Ah come on, Rhona is a legend,

She's one of the best commentators around, she makes a very technical sport accesible to the armchair punters.

She has a good sense of humour too, worked very well with Steve Cram.

They had a spot in the closing ceremony with some woman, who I expect the Canadians knew, walking across the stage shouting HARD, HARDER, to a couple of lads walking along in front of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Theres a hole in my life the size of the Winter Olympics............

Its amazing how accustomed you can become to having so much great sport on all the time. You just take it for granted and then one day its gone:(.
    Have to say it was a great Olympics, enjoyed every bit of it(except for the figure skating of course). I agree with Robin about the curling, I thought it was great stuff. Although admittedly it is an aquired taste. I thought the BBCs coverage was great and I particulaly liked Ed Leigh and Graham Bell(their documentary was top notch aswell). For Ed Leighs Errol flynn gaffe alone.......
    Ski cross was real highlight. I know the alpine purists dont like it but its great to watch and Hopefully Chris Del Bosco will be back in 2014. The only grump I have about BBCs coverage was the lack of Cross country ski and Biathlon coverage. I dont have any of those fancy digital channels, just the regular terstrial TV, so there was no red button to press to switch from figure skating to cross country. Gutted about that becasue I heard the mens 50k was a cracker. Wasnt like that in Turin though, definitely more terestrial coverage on bbc back then, or maybe im imagining things. Really wanted to go to Vancouver for these games but it wasnt to be and Russia doesnt look like a great prospect. I think the games will be top as usual, just dont fancy a trip to the soviet Union. Hoepfully Germany will get 2018, Munich is a great city and the German people are dead sound.

tunguska wrote: »

Its amazing how accustomed you can become to having so much great sport on all the time. You just take it for granted and then one day its gone:(.
    Have to say it was a great Olympics, enjoyed every bit of it(except for the figure skating of course). I agree with Robin about the curling, I thought it was great stuff. Although admittedly it is an aquired taste. I thought the BBCs coverage was great and I particulaly liked Ed Leigh and Graham Bell(their documentary was top notch aswell). For Ed Leighs Errol flynn gaffe alone.......
    Ski cross was real highlight. I know the alpine purists dont like it but its great to watch and Hopefully Chris Del Bosco will be back in 2014. The only grump I have about BBCs coverage was the lack of Cross country ski and Biathlon coverage. I dont have any of those fancy digital channels, just the regular terstrial TV, so there was no red button to press to switch from figure skating to cross country. Gutted about that becasue I heard the mens 50k was a cracker. Wasnt like that in Turin though, definitely more terestrial coverage on bbc back then, or maybe im imagining things. Really wanted to go to Vancouver for these games but it wasnt to be and Russia doesnt look like a great prospect. I think the games will be top as usual, just dont fancy a trip to the soviet Union. Hoepfully Germany will get 2018, Munich is a great city and the German people are dead sound.

See this is why I thought there was too much curling on. They should have showed less of that and more of the biathlon etc. I didn't see ANY biathlon at all :(
    Also yes I think the coverage was less than previous years. Kind of annoyed rte more-or-less did nothing and just fobbed us off to that website

Never particuarly watch RTE myself. Did they show anything at all, or even mention any of the Irish team during the news during the last two weeks?

Never particuarly watch RTE myself. Did they show anything at all, or even mention any of the Irish team during the news during the last two weeks?

They showed nothing. Absolute disgrace. We get shows like Katherine lynch's Independent ladies(or whatever it is) but no winter olympics. That is F u c k e d up. But thats par for the course with RTE. Theyre an embarressment. Feck all coverage on the radio aswell. Was listening to ray d'arcy's show on monday where he does an extended sports slot. Not a mention of the Canada vs USA hockey game from the day before, or the fact that the winter olympics had taken place(with Irish athletes involved) at all.

Actually you raise a good point there. I almost never watch them either. I'm sure they gave a mention on 6-1 sports segment and aertel sports. but going by the listing there was no official coverage. Their website just points you to the eurovision tv one for coverage. they should have at least shown the irish going - i mean its only right no. its the olympics after all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Hoepfully Germany will get 2018, Munich is a great city and the German people are dead sound.

Agree that there is nothing to watch in the evenings now, c'est la vie

Can't agree re Munich, I'm hoping that it will be Annecy 2018, only 90 flight to Geneva or Lyon or Grenoble. Downhill on the Kandahar in Les Houches, here's hoping.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hoepfully Germany will get 2018, Munich is a great city and the German people are dead sound.

And a higher quality of beer for the Canadian ladies to drink :pac:

This is awful, theres this huge gap in my life now. What the hell did I do before the winter olympics? This was my rountine during the games:

Get up, go training.
    Watch highlights from previous nights action on bbc2
    Go to work
    Come home and settle in for the night shift, commencing at 11:30pm or so and lasting until I pass out from exaustion(usually around 4:00am).

Get up next day, go training
    Watch highlights from previous nights action on bbc2(bits that I missed due to passing out from exhaustion)
    Go to work
    Come home and settle in for the night shift, commencing at 11:30pm or so and lasting until I pass out from exaustion(usually around 4:00am).......................

And this was the way it went for 16 glorious days. Its getting desperate now, watching re-runs of the ski-cross at this stage. Need to let go and accept its over. I think I need post winter olympics counselling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭soc$

Fattes wrote: »
    Well done to Shane O Connor 46th out of 108 Starters in the Olympic Slalom.

A great result for a home grown Skier

Correction 45th one was Disqualified

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

soc$ wrote: »

Shane

If that's you that posted
    Fair play for achieving what you did against all the odds
    True sporting greatness

Advertisement