Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish Game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Not allowed play kitted until 17 now, but flag football could get a good base in secondary schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭TITAN #1

I have done demo days in a couple of schools and have a few more lined up.
    I really need some teachers to become coaches.
    There are a few schools in the UK who have really taken to Flag Football.

A Youth and Junior Team Ireland is what I would love to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Hey everyone.

Just thought I'd put up a post here for anyone at all who'd have an interest in playing American Football in Clonmel, Tipperary. At the moment, The Clonmel Warriors are a non-contact team and developing. American Football is well accomodated In Ireland with a league set up for the fully kitted version, there's a league also for flag football.

If you've any interest whatsoever, do contact me. We have a few players and are on the lookout for more. Ages of 16+ are welcomed. If you don't have any idea of how the game is played but have an interest in playing, it's no problem, we'll teach you all the ins and outs of it!

Here's the Warriors Bebo Page : http://www.bebo.com/warriorsfootball

Training takes place each Saturday at 11 am at the Tipperary Insitute. (across from Clonmel Og)

If you've any questions, leave a reply or contact me at Lukozade16@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    Luke. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Hi Luke,
    Have you made contact with the IAFL yet? (www.iafl.info) Make sure to let them know you're setting up, as they can assist in the process. You'll need to be a member of the IAFL anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,813 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jaysus Luke, you are everywhere!

Mary from Galway here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Was fascinated to find out there's an Irish football league, (fair play btw), i thought i'd left football forever when i moved over here:rolleyes:,

Was just wondering what type of playbooks would most of the teams use, as in would they come up with their own ones, or base them on similar pro/collegiate playbooks in the States, which are available online (and very interesting),

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Was fascinated to find out there's an Irish football league, (fair play btw), i thought i'd left football forever when i moved over here:rolleyes:,

Was just wondering what type of playbooks would most of the teams use, as in would they come up with their own ones, or base them on similar pro/collegiate playbooks in the States, which are available online (and very interesting),

I coach UCD but in the 8's development league. But my playbook is a re hashed version of a playbook from a High School in the US plus my 5 years knowledge. Im certified Level 1 coaching here and have 2 seperate certs from Courses in the US. Alot of the coaches in the IAFL create their playbooks based on their own experience and knowledge mixed with good coaching and standard playbooks from the US I would imagine but again every coach here would have their own method so I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

I coach UCD but in the 8's development league. But my playbook is a re hashed version of a playbook from a High School in the US plus my 5 years knowledge. Im certified Level 1 coaching here and have 2 seperate certs from Courses in the US. Alot of the coaches in the IAFL create their playbooks based on their own experience and knowledge mixed with good coaching and standard playbooks from the US I would imagine but again every coach here would have their own method so I could be wrong.

Cool, I'm 18 now and have been over here since 05, played some high school ball back then, as a secondary to baseball, but have probably got a bit rusty since. Would you recommend enlisting for a "8's development team" first to get used to the pace again?

Cool, I'm 18 now and have been over here since 05, played some high school ball back then, as a secondary to baseball, but have probably got a bit rusty since. Would you recommend enlisting for a "8's development team" first to get used to the pace again?

Id say for convenience go to the closest team to you. Going to a development team with the season upon us you might see more game time as they continually take on players as for growth. The full teams do also but you may find it hard establishing yourself into a position but I would say contact all the teams and talk to their coaches. They will all give you a fair shot. Where do you live? If you live Northside you have the Rhinos(Full) in Castleknock, Trinty who play in Santry(Dev), DCU (full) also in Santry/Glasnevin not too sure where they play now. The Rebels (Full) Train in booterstown but play in Santry. Dublin Dragon (Dev) Lucan, and UCD unfortunately is students only which is a development team also.

Saints play in ALSAA next to the airport. I'm a coach with the team and you're more than welcome to come down Chanandler. PM me if you need details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭kev_s88

How intensive is the development stuff Tallaght...because im a student out in UCD and im looking at getting back into sports, American Football being the main choice. im planning on coming to the games once they start so i can get a feel for it but any help would be great

kev_s88 wrote: »
    How intensive is the development stuff Tallaght...because im a student out in UCD and im looking at getting back into sports, American Football being the main choice. im planning on coming to the games once they start so i can get a feel for it but any help would be great

PM Sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 donnchadhc

Are there any flag football competitions? I'd love to give American Football a go, but am skint at the moment (bloody R-word!). Can someone give an outline for flag football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

donnchadhc wrote: »
    Are there any flag football competitions? I'd love to give American Football a go, but am skint at the moment (bloody R-word!). Can someone give an outline for flag football?

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 donnchadhc

Clonskeagh in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

There are a few Dublin Flag teams around like Trinity or the Dublin Sharks. I'm sure there's loads more these are just off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 SimComSports

Are there any teams on the North Side of Dublin?
    Sorry I know its prebably defo on here somewhere but I cannot find it.

Munky Trader
    www.simcomsports.com

DCU Saints train at St Claire's on Ballymun Road in Glasnevin and play at ALSAA at the airport. PM me if you're interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 elrosseregon

any position a 5' 9" 60kg guy could play?

Loads. WR or DB in particular. One of the best running backs in the league is smaller than that and one of the hardest hitting players is a lot smaller than that (although I think he might have retired). It's all about desire. Whereabouts are you based?

• Advertisement

Live in Dundrum, I know there's a couple of teams around me

Rebels in booterstown, UCD (tallaghtoutlaws can tell you if students can play) and the Dublin Rhinos are closest teams to you

jdivision wrote: »
    Rebels in booterstown, UCD (tallaghtoutlaws can tell you if students can play) and the Dublin Rhinos are closest teams to you

Students only in UCD unfortunately.

thanks for the info...what time of the year do the teams start recruiting as such?

thanks for the info...what time of the year do the teams start recruiting as such?

All year including mid season

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Hi there

I'm from Dunboyne and I was wondering if the Dunboyne Druids ever got off the ground?

DB74 wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm from Dunboyne and I was wondering if the Dunboyne Druids ever got off the ground?

Nope.

Closest teams to you DB are West Dublin Rhinos and DCU Saints. Think West Dublin Rhinos are moving to Clondalkin next season though. DCU will be back in training in October, more than welcome to come down. We're in semi finals of the 11s this weekend but we're always looking to improve and we're used to training up rookies - we start out with a bunch of them each October. Also you won't have to buy or pay rent for the gear until you find out whether it's for you. Cuts down the upfront cost. PM me for further details if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

Thanks guys but at 35 and with a 2nd child on the way in 4 weeks, my playing days are behind me unfortunately. It's just that I never even heard of an American Football team in Dunboyne. I suppose I could be The Waterboy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

DB74 wrote: »
    Thanks guys but at 35 and with a 2nd child on the way in 4 weeks, my playing days are behind me unfortunately. It's just that I never even heard of an American Football team in Dunboyne. I suppose I could be The Waterboy! :D

You're never too old! :D

Advertisement