Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room mates cleaning up at the end of an agreenent

• 06-02-2020 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I always have my student rooms proffesionally cleaned before anyone moves in. How do I make sure that they leave the room in the same state they found it? I also have the bathrooms cleaned once a month so as to save a massive job at end of the year. They sign a 9 month agreement. Can't deduct from their deposit. Any suggestions?? Should I add something to their agreement. It's getting costly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Buy a mop

• Registered Users Posts: 10 smeraduibhe

I always have my student rooms proffesionally cleaned before anyone moves in. How do I make sure that they leave the room in the same state they found it? I also have the bathrooms cleaned once a month so as to save a massive job at end of the year. They sign a 9 month agreement. Can't deduct from their deposit. Any suggestions?? Should I add something to their agreement. It's getting costly

Reply not helpful....they have cleaning equipment!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If they've left a mess you can deduct cleaning (assuming you don't do it yourself) from the deposit. As for the monthly cleans presumably you factor this into the rent.

If they've left a mess you can deduct cleaning (assuming you don't do it yourself) from the deposit. As for the monthly cleans presumably you factor this into the rent.

Monthly cleaning's done by a company and hasn't yet been factored into rent. I was so focused on trying to keep the place reasonably clean, but will do from now on.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭lulu1

Why can you not take it out of their deposit I though that was the idea of a deposit to pay for things that were not left as they found them

• Advertisement

lulu1 wrote: »
    Why can you not take it out of their deposit I though that was the idea of a deposit to pay for things that were not left as they found them
    That's a good point. I thought I'd have to write that into their contract, there's been no need to do so up till now but I'll make sure it's written in for the next ones.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If they've left a mess you can deduct cleaning (assuming you don't do it yourself) from the deposit.
    If I'm correct, cleaning can't be deducted from normal security deposits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Victor wrote: »
    If I'm correct, cleaning can't be deducted from normal security deposits.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/deposits/

Deductions may be made or the deposit retained in full, if there has been damage above normal wear and tear to the property. Examples of these damages could be;

Not returning the property in a clean manner.

As always the caveat is that RTB/Citizens advice etc. frequently get it wrong but I'd be fairly confident cleaning to the standard the unit was handed over in would not fall foul of the RTB - IF the LL has proof of how the unit was handed over.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning-a-tenancy/deposits/

As always the caveat is that RTB/Citizens advice etc. frequently get it wrong but I'd be fairly confident cleaning to the standard the unit was handed over in would not fall foul of the RTB - IF the LL has proof of how the unit was handed over.

Photos added to the inventory might be a way of keeping record of the condition of the accommodation when the student/s move in and can be used as points of reference at the end of their term.

Advertisement