Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no water upstairs ok downstairs

• 25-12-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

I have cold water downstairs but no cold or hot downstairs or upstairs. upstairs taps if turned on a little will come out and stop then . i have heater in the attic to see if it will help. could it be an airlock? how could pipes freeze when a tap was left on? Is it ok to have the boiler on. rads are heating upstairs and down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What taps are working? Cold tap in kitchen or are there other taps, e.g. downstairs toilet?

Is there water in the tank upstairs?
    WildOscar wrote: »
    how could pipes freeze when a tap was left on?
    Because hte council has reduced the water pressure becuasse people have left their taps on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

thanks for reply
    Victor wrote: »
    What taps are working? Cold tap in kitchen or are there other taps, e.g. downstairs toilet?
    cold tap in kitchen low pressure
    downstairs toilet refills very slow, ditto upstairs toilet
    Is there water in the tank upstairs?
    yes as far as i know but it is coming down very slowly to the hot press tank. i had a heater in attic and it seems to be improving in that i get water to flow upstairs then it stops then flows again. seems to be frozen between attic tank and hot press tank. can hear it trickle into hot press. is it ok to aim a heater at the pipes in hot press

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 chipper

cold water downstairs comes from mains, hot water downstairs and hot & cold upstairs comes from your storage tank in attic, so the attic is frozen or ball cock is jamed shut

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I have the opposite problem to the OP, hot and cold water upstairs and only hot downstairs. Does that mean it's a mains problem and i don't have anything frozen to worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hennybug wrote: »
    I have the opposite problem to the OP, hot and cold water upstairs and only hot downstairs. Does that mean it's a mains problem and i don't have anything frozen to worry about?
    Check your attic tank to see how full it is.

• Advertisement

i want to get a water key in case i ever need to turn off the stop cock out on the path. how would i kn ow which size or are they uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

WildOscar wrote: »
    I have cold water downstairs but no cold or hot downstairs or upstairs. upstairs taps if turned on a little will come out and stop then . i have heater in the attic to see if it will help. could it be an airlock? how could pipes freeze when a tap was left on? Is it ok to have the boiler on. rads are heating upstairs and down

Have the exact same situation. Apart from leaving a heater in the attic, if I filled up the empty attic tank with hot water would that help ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

With regard to my above post I had a heating going up to the attic all day, and after 3 days of no water it has just come back on.

Fingers crossed......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

We (and a number of houses locally) have had this problem the last few days. The problem (diagnosed by plumbers) is that there is not enough water pressure to fill the tank in the attic. Imagine my bloody frustration today after borrowing spanners from my plumber friend to get any airlocks out of the system for the damn pressure to fall again. As it stands, I currently have no mains water at all, and it won't be back until 10 tomorrow :mad: (Thank you fingal county council)

So OP, could it be an issue like mine, where there simply is not enough pressure to fill the tank in the attic? Easiest way to check would be to see if the tank is filling up there. There's nothing you can do but wait until the pressure picks up again.

And I'm still waiting to get a shower in after my swim down the beach yesterday morning, think my bones might turn to ice by then

We (and a number of houses locally) have had this problem the last few days. The problem (diagnosed by plumbers) is that there is not enough water pressure to fill the tank in the attic. Imagine my bloody frustration today after borrowing spanners from my plumber friend to get any airlocks out of the system for the damn pressure to fall again. As it stands, I currently have no mains water at all, and it won't be back until 10 tomorrow :mad: (Thank you fingal county council)

So OP, could it be an issue like mine, where there simply is not enough pressure to fill the tank in the attic? Easiest way to check would be to see if the tank is filling up there. There's nothing you can do but wait until the pressure picks up again.

And I'm still waiting to get a shower in after my swim down the beach yesterday morning, think my bones might turn to ice by then
    checked with local authority and pressure has been reduced till tomorrow morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 BAwagon

In My house, mains freeze 4 days ago , I only realised when the tank was empty in the attic. Water came back Yesterday evening. Tank is full but hot water is not working. Don't know for sure but I think hot water tank is not filling Up. What could be the reason?
    Make it even worst 1 day after water went the heating went as well because the water level was too low in the heating system. Although pressure is back the boiler wouldn't start. I am affraid the pump is gone outside :(

So OP, could it be an issue like mine, where there simply is not enough pressure to fill the tank in the attic?
    Easiest way to check would be to see if the tank is filling up there. There's nothing you can do but wait until the pressure picks up again.

yes i found it is. at least it is better than frozen or burst pipes. For anyone with burst pipes i saw something today called EASI FREEZE that apparentl allows a repair without draining water.not affiliated never heard of it before. Passing on this in case anyone might be helped

BAwagon wrote: »
    In My house, mains freeze 4 days ago , I only realised when the tank was empty in the attic. Water came back Yesterday evening. Tank is full but hot water is not working. Don't know for sure but I think hot water tank is not filling Up. What could be the reason?
    e
    at a guess maybe there is frozen pipes leading from attic tank to hot water cylinder? A fan heater or even hairdryer in the attic might help. Good luck;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

BAwagon wrote: »
    Make it even worst 1 day after water went the heating went as well because the water level was too low in the heating system. Although pressure is back the boiler wouldn't start. I am affraid the pump is gone outside :(

If you're tank has run dry and is now full again, then I'd say you have an airlock in the system, have a search of this forum and there are steps to removing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BAwagon

Well, thanks for all advice!
    Plumber just left.Took Him 2 mins to fix. Just a simple airblock. :p
    Back to civilization with hot water and heating :D

Advertisement