Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1,000 marchers march against Gardai in Castlerea, Roscommon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Lunatic circle jerk thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 yyt

GarIT wrote: »
    Two men attacked a guard when he tried to stop them to question them. The guard fought back and 700 people went out to march because Roscommon is backwards as ****.

Why cant Roscommon just be normal. They are like a bold child

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

rossie1977 wrote: »

This is shocking if your description of events is true. That garda should be dismissed from the force. Its the gardai though, and while i respect the majority of gardai on the beat the higher up lads will either remove him from the publics view or retire him with his pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

rossie1977 wrote: »

Wasn't expecting the photos to be made public.

For anyone wondering, this is the man with the lesser of the injuries. This man also had the top of his head split open. The garda certainly made use of his baton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

yyt wrote: »
    Why cant Roscommon just be normal. They are like a bold child

Maybe have a read of the thread before giving your opinion. You managed to take the most inaccurate post in the thread and run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Two lads versus one Garda. The people of Castlerea don't care about the truth, they just want the Garda involved to be sacked. I doubt they'll settle for anything less.

It'll be funny if the Gardai pulled out of Castlerea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

the_syco wrote: »
    Two lads versus one Garda. The people of Castlerea don't care about the truth, they just want the Garda involved to be sacked. I doubt they'll settle for anything less.

It'll be funny if the Gardai pulled out of Castlerea.

The truth from locals is on this thread, read those posts and stop making a fool of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

It’s not really the truth though is it, it’s one version of the truth, from someone who wasn’t there.

It’s all well and good to post pictures of one of these guys in hospital, with dried blood on him, but don’t forget a guard ended up there too. If one of these guys put his hand on the guard when he stopped them to question them, then the guard had a right to defend himself.

Sure there are some bad guards, but painting them all as a law onto themselves is ridiculous. With the way Roscommon has been coming across this week, it’s the locals Who seem to be a law onto themselves.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The Gardai in castlerea have a lot to deal with compared to those in other rural towns.
    Some prison inmates and their visitors have the town ruined.
    I won't go through castlerea with my car doors unlocked.
    Maybe the Gardai there are on edge.
    Maybe he took it out on the wrong people.
    I hope the incident is properly investigated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The sooner the Gardai get tamper proof body cams the better. At the moment it looks like this is a case of the two guys (who were drinking) word against the Garda involved. Looking at the picture it does appear that excessive force was used but without independent witnesses I don't see how action can be taken against the Gaurd involved. (I had a quick read through the thread so if there were witnesses to the event I'm happy to change my stance).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

It’s not really the truth though is it, it’s one version of the truth, from someone who wasn’t there.

It’s all well and good to post pictures of one of these guys in hospital, with dried blood on him, but don’t forget a guard ended up there too. If one of these guys put his hand on the guard when he stopped them to question them, then the guard had a right to defend himself.

Sure there are some bad guards, but painting them all as a law onto themselves is ridiculous. With the way Roscommon has been coming across this week, it’s the locals Who seem to be a law onto themselves.

This attack by the garda occured 3 days before any eviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

pearcider wrote: »
    Interesting to see the various tensions building in advance of the hard brexit. AGS a farce with incompetent and corrupt management coupled with low morale in the grass roots. Morale at rock bottom in the defense forces. Can’t even get anyone to join the navy. Blue shirt zombie government completely out of touch in Dublin and sleep walking into disaster while our unelected Taoiseach is busy tweeting on nights out with celebs. Our Republic is walking into major trouble next year in my opinion. Anyway with half a brain can see it.

There is nothing more comical than seeing our arrogant, useless and unelected Taoiseach thinking that the Theresa May government are going to listen to him on any of his solutions to the Brexit issue. The current situation calls for a leader of the calibre of Lemass or Lynch, not this unworldly and undiplomatic clown.

The Garda in this country also have their hands tied up when it comes to dealing with scumbags. Said scumbags know that any old shady solicitor will get them off the hook, or at worse a slap on the hand in court. So much of the time it's not worth the effort of policing to a high standard and keeping the community save from little gurriers.

In this country, criminals have more rights and than the innocent law abiding man and woman thanks to the chattering classes who wish to see a soft criminal justice system.

While the chattering classes and do gooders see themselves as doing the morally right thing ....... gurriers are laughing at them and know at worst they will get a slap on the hand.

This country needs a Rudy Giuliani to sort out our mess of a criminal justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Said scumbags also have rent a mob to protest them being evicted despite not paying back their debts and defrauding the taxpayer. We need to sort out that sh!te as well.

DS86DS wrote: »
    There is nothing more comical than seeing our arrogant, useless and unelected Taoiseach thinking that the Theresa May government are going to listen to him on any of his solutions to the Brexit issue. The current situation calls for a leader of the calibre of Lemass or Lynch, not this unworldly and undiplomatic clown.

The Garda in this country also have their hands tied up when it comes to dealing with scumbags. Said scumbags know that any old shady solicitor will get them off the hook, or at worse a slap on the hand in court. So much of the time it's not worth the effort of policing to a high standard and keeping the community save from little gurriers.

In this country, criminals have more rights and than the innocent law abiding man and woman thanks to the chattering classes who wish to see a soft criminal justice system.

While the chattering classes and do gooders see themselves as doing the morally right thing ....... gurriers are laughing at them and know at worst they will get a slap on the hand.

This country needs a Rudy Giuliani to sort out our mess of a criminal justice system.

do you not get a vote?

what are you puling for besides?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I agree with your point in bold as for a lot of decent Guards do you mean like Maurice McCabe?

Funny how none of these so-called decent gardai gave him any support.

That's simply incorrect. There were Gardaí who supported McCabe. He had friends in the job. What makes you think he had no support?

That's simply incorrect. There were Gardaí who supported McCabe. He had friends in the job. What makes you think he had no support?

Didn't see too many backing him up at various inquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Addle wrote: »
    The Gardai in castlerea have a lot to deal with compared to those in other rural towns.

Stop exaggerating. Its one of the most sleepy towns around where the Gardaí must be bored out of their mind with the lack of work to do in that town.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Didn't see too many backing him up at various inquiries.

Do you mean in the written reports or the tribunal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

ara here.
    tumbleweed is the word I would use for Castlerea

• Advertisement

Do you mean in the written reports or the tribunal?

Didn't see him accompanied by anyone, he always cut a lonely figure any time I saw him. Defnitely open to correction on this btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Do you know what would be great? If people looked at the thread before they posted on it.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Didn't see him accompanied by anyone, he always cut a lonely figure any time I saw him. Defnitely open to correction on this btw.

I take it you mean no Gardaí attended the tribunal with him. That is simply a restriction inherent in the job. Overt political allegiance is not allowed. He definitely had support in the job though. Plenty of people delighted to see someone taking on management successfully. Whether he was aware of the support beyond his circle is another question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'd really like to see this thread title changed.
    Am surprised the mods didn't after temporarily withdrawing the thread for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well there was only the two men in question and the guard there so unless one of the three men posted here we wouldn't know the full truth.

What we do know is that two local men (who btw were innocent of any crime on that particular night) were badly beaten up and hospitalized.

There is right to defend yourself and then there is breaking a guy's two jaws and hitting him so hard he gets seizures for the next week.

Now of course you are creating scenarios you don't know are true unless you were there...
    Sure there are some bad guards, but painting them all as a law onto themselves is ridiculous.

Strawman argument. Nobody is saying that. I even wrote a post on previous page saying the people of Castlerea and the Gardai have had an excellent relationship down the years.

Some of the most high profile people in town are members of the Gardai.

This one particular guard <snip>. He and be alone should he held accountable for his actions.
    With the way Roscommon has been coming across this week, it’s the locals Who seem to be a law onto themselves.

The incident in Strokestown is completely separate to the incident in Castlerea. It's 20 miles away and just happened to occur around same time but one has nothing to do with the other.

Painting the entire population of Roscommon as 'law onto themselves' is beyond silly. Roscommon has the least amount of crime in the country well below national average.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

pearcider wrote: »
    He wasn’t elected Taoiseach by the people..
    At no point did I claim he was. I said he was elected a TD by his constituency and elected Taoiseach by the Dail (the peoples representatives) .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Lol, the most excitement in Castlerea are the Lidl special offers on Monday and Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

An incredible news story and an incredible reaction to it on this site.

The sheer callous ignorance and stupidity of the responses from those who seem to consider themselves sophisticated urbanites has been breathtaking to read.

“They’re like totes ignoramuses in Roscommon... didn’t even vote for gay marriage lol... good enough for them!”

The lack of understanding of how rural Ireland works just boggles the mind.

People don’t generally turn out in large numbers to protest something in small town Ireland unless they have good reason to.

A Garda seems to have completely lost control and caused serious injuries that may have lasting consequences for a law abiding citizen.

If it was a local scumbag nobody would be giving it a second thought.

Small town and rural people aren’t thick... ye May well be though !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

klaaaz wrote: »
    1,000 dissident members of the public have demonstrated showing dissent against alleged Garda brutality in their town. Their MEP Luke Ming Flanagan was in the march from the local Lidl to the Garda station.
    The FFG mouthpiece the Indo and the state mouthpiece RTE have not reported on this significant event. This show of dissent has been reported in the Irish Times and the Sun above all places. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/hundreds-protest-in-castlerea-over-men-s-alleged-assault-by-garda-1.3733223
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/3523690/protesters-roscommon-two-men-injured-in-cop-confrontation/
    I do not recall such a mass demonstration against Gardai in a town in this country before, is this the beginning of the end for Garda authority and perhaps a sign that we need a new police force?

Dissident members of the public, or more usually dissidents has very different connotations in relation to so-called republicans.

Why are you using it in this relation to this event.

Has Ming said much about the situation, why he marched, what he sees as the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

imme wrote: »
    Dissident members of the public, or more usually dissidents has very different connotations in relation to so-called republicans.

Why are you using it in this relation to this event.

Has Ming said much about the situation, why he marched, what he sees as the issue.

Nothing to do with republicans, it's dissidents as per dictionary definition. Those who publicly dissent against the actions of a state authority(who in this case are their representatives or agents)
    Read the links about what Ming has said and also read what a couple of posters who live locally in the area said stating their version of events which contrasts with the Garda statement released back then on the incident.

Advertisement