Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tina Satchwell News updates MOD NOTE POST ONE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Good to see members of the AGS and their unbiased opinions on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

kbannon wrote: »
    Your question is not like the scenario that occured.
    The two gardai were and are not working on the case.

So I will re-phrase the question to you:-

If a loved one of yours was missing for 8 months and two Gardai showed up in a picture like this with their name referenced and grinning ear to ear how would you and your family feel about it? Would it be acceptable to you to be treated in this manner by members of AGS, an organisation that are supposed to be investigating the loss of your loved one? Would you be ok with this and not make a complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Maybe the smiles were to appear non intimidating in the event she did see it?

There just two guy's at a darts match, they're off duty too.

They're taking the mick out of it for sure,is the investigation into her Disappearance' another comedy episode...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Normally in a missing person case the person's family are doing as much as possible to spread the word, share this on facebook etc. - why is it such a problem that they got it on TV at a darts tournament?

I find odd that there is no mention of her family at all.

Doesn't really seem like your usual missing persons case, or that they are looking for a missing person

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

blade1 wrote: »
    You are relying a lot on maybe there.
    I can you for fact that they are claiming it was not aimed at Tina Satchwell at all.

Looks like they're going to do a 180 on it so......

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭blade1

valoren wrote: »
    Looks like they're going to do a 180 on it so......

:cool:

An old dartboard would have less holes in it than their story!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

TBH I don't know. I reckon I'd be more intent on findong out what happened than jumping to assumptions about a photo.

Assuming that you mean me then please feel free to report my post(s) but for the record I do not mod this forum!

For the record I actually have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Dev84 wrote: »
    The Moderators comments on this thread a disgraceful.

Boards.ie where you can't comment on an ongoing trial in a different jurisdiction (paddy Jackson rape trial) but you can show no regard for a missing person from this country.

great stuff.
    JeffKenna wrote: »
    Have to agree, I'm actually quite shocked by the moderators comments.

What moderator?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wouldn't like to see what you do Mod.
    Don't be like that :rolleyes:
    If you disagree with my opinion then challenge it rather than throw childish comments out there.
    Personally, I don't have much of a problem with the picture in the grand scheme of things. I have not seen anyone post a good enough reason to make me change my view. Would you like to try and convert me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

JeffKenna wrote: »
    For the record I actually have.

What are you reporting - a disagreement on this subject?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't like to see what you do Mod.

Mod: Stop the nonsense. Verging on personal abuse.

TBH I don't know. I reckon I'd be more intent on findong out what happened than jumping to assumptions about a photo.

You can be intent on finding out what happened AND also be annoyed at the two Gardai smiling in a photo referencing your loved one both at the same time. Its not an either / or option.

I have asked you the question three times without an answer now so I will leave it there. All I can assume is that you would have no problems with the Gardai treating a missing loved one of yours in that way. Thats fair enough, its your call. But I would hazard a guess most members of the public would not see it that way, nor would they think that the Gardai who appeared in the photo are inspiring professionalism, trust or confidence their chosen career. It reflects poorly on other members who are doing a good job and it is only right that these two muppets have been taken to task on it.

Thats not to even mention that they may have inadvertently jeopardised an investigaton, loose lips sink ships and all that. I would imagine the missing persons investigation team is none too impressed with the solo run of these two Gardai on social media.

Because I think his comments are below that of the standard required for a Mod.

I think he is purposely just trying to stir things up and it has worked.

Mod: Ok you had your chance, don't post in this thread again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

No. No they are not. They are clearly conducting part of the search at this event so I would consider them on duty the minutes they produced that sign.

fair play to ya , they were on duty at a darts match ? in dublin i think?

two lads who are not involved in investigation at all

if your looking for a garda bashing thread theres plenty of them on here go post in one of them why dont you ,

issues agendas and ill informed opinions are what make boards what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Muahahaha wrote: »
    they rung up Richard fairly lively and told him about the photo referencing Tina before he had to see it for himself on social media. And they launched an investigation into these two muppets whose job it is to know better.

Might be all part of the plan to fool him into thinking he's not a person of interest.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It was a silly stunt. But if you read between the lines you get an insight into what the Gardai must be thinking about the case.

Thats what I am thinking which is what makes this stunt even more dumb. If Richard is a suspect for AGS and the detectives on the case are holding their cards close to their chest waiting for him to mess up then these two idiots have just waved a large red flag telling him as much.

And if he is a suspect then the two boyos have just made it even more difficult for the detectives to secure a conviction. Potential murder investigations are a psychological game of cat and mouse and these two Gardai might well have jeopardised that which means the suspect is going to be even harder to pin down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Stuckforcash

Show me what indicates that they are gardai.

What are you rambling out? AGS contacted the husband about this, It clearly says so in the article that brought this whole episode to attention. Why would they apologise if it was just two randomers?

Might be all part of the plan to fool him into thinking he's not a person of interest.

I had considered that possibility but dismissed it on the basis that AGS are already under the cosh enough in the media without this on top of them too. The photo is disrespectful towards Tina and her family and is a PR mess for AGS. I couldnt see AGS bringing even more negative public opinion on themselves as part of a plan to fool Richard.

In any case if they want to trick him into believing he is not a suspect then the best way to do that is face to face by gaining his confidence by being concerned for his plight. This photo actually does the exact opposite of that objective, I have no doubt right now Richard is thinking that the loose lips of the Gardai have done the rounds in Cork and he is very much thinking he is in the frame. I know I would be if I were in his position, whether I were guilty or not.

The whole episode is a clusterfcuk that the investigating detectives could well have done without IMO.

What are you rambling out? AGS contacted the husband about this, It clearly says so in the article that brought this whole episode to attention. Why would they apologise if it was just two randomers?
    I was replying to what i see as faux outrage about two men who were holding up a sign. They were not dressed as gardai and were, to our knowledge, off duty.
    We wouldn't have heard about this if the husband didn't publicise it to the media
    Sure some people giving out here evidentlyndidnt read the article properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

this is strange. still don't see anywhere anybody posted the pic. Nothing on the the internet either..is it removed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Stuckforcash

I was replying to what i see as faux outrage about two men who were holding up a sign. They were not dressed as gardai and were, to our knowledge, off duty.
    We wouldn't have heard about this if the husband didn't publicise it to the media
    Sure some people giving out here evidentlyndidnt read the article properly.

Nope, you said there was no evidence these men were guards. You were wrong.

Seemingly this is the picture...
    DVIwPz-WkAAeadM.jpg

Not sure what the fuss is. There is nothing there to suggest that they are members of AGS. It keeps her disappearance in the news. They are encouraging her to return home. Where is the negative vibe coming from?

Am I mad?? there's no picture. getting slightly worried here, am I banned from seeing certain things on boards..:eek::D HELP

Nope, you said there was no evidence these men were guards. You were wrong.

There is no evidence that they were gardai. They are not in uniform.
    Have you evidence from the pic that they are gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

tara73 wrote: »
    Am I mad?? there's no picture. getting slightly worried here, am I banned from seeing certain things on boards..:eek::D HELP

Are you on your phone? If so maybe you have it set so that it doesn't download any media to save on data? That'd explain the missing images

Here's the same image on a different hosting site anyway:
    dRUg4Fy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    No, all I want is for members of the Gardai to act professional and that is clearly not the case here. These two idiots need to learn the meaning of decorum- doing this knowing that family are heartbroken that she is missing is not decorum and is far from professional, as has been shown by the apology by AGS and the now open investigation into these two members.

I noticed you avoided answering my question so I will ask again- if a loved one of yours was missing for 8 months and two Gardai investigating the case showed up in a picture like this with their name referenced and grinning ear to ear how would you and your family feel about it? Would it be acceptable to you to be treated in this manner by members of the Gardai who are supposed to be investigating the loss of your loved one?

I know this question wasn't directed at me but I'll answer it anyways. I'd be glad that my loved one's name was being shared far and wide in the hope that someone, somewhere (maybe even that loved one) will see it and they will be found. The fact that they're grinning - I think people are taking far too much offense to it. They are at a darts tournament not a vigil, when this picture (or is it a still from a video?) was taken they were probably cheering along with the crowds at whoever threw the pointy thing at the bit of painted wood. Some intrepid reporter decided to publish this because OMG LOOK AT THE GUARDS SMILING! I genuinely feel like the husbands indignant rage feels like he's trying to deflect attention, and making a mountain out of a molehill.

BTW, is it actually referring to Tina Satchwell? I have seen no other reports on this after the initial Indo article.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Are you on your phone? If so maybe you have it set so that it doesn't download any media to save on data? That'd explain the missing images

Here's the same image on a different hosting site anyway:
    dRUg4Fy.jpg
    thanks for that. no, on my computer. weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

tara73 wrote: »
    thanks for that. no, on my computer. weird.

Can you see the one I rehosted? If so, maybe you have an antivirus that's picking up the other hosting site as dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭dense

The newspaper report said the two guys grinning in the photo holding the sign are guards.

What other assumptions about the photograph are being jumped at?

I'd say one is that they don't look particularly sincere, but maybe my judgement is off!

Do you think they look sincere?

If its such a good idea, do you think the two guys should try a similar smiling photo holding a "Come home Philip" sign held up outside Philip Cairns' old school?

And what is so special about this photo that would make anyone think it would help in "encouraging her to come home"?

Maybe you could convert me? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

There is no evidence that they were gardai. They are not in uniform.
    Have you evidence from the pic that they are gardai?

Yes, no evidence. AGS might be winding Mr Satchwell up for the craic.

“Richard Satchwell said he was deeply upset when he learned from An Garda Síochána on Saturday that a post of a photograph of two serving officers holding a sign saying “Tina Come Home” had gone viral.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Yes, no evidence. AGS might be winding Mr Satchwell up for the craic.

“Richard Satchwell said he was deeply upset when he learned from An Garda Síochána on Saturday that a post of a photograph of two serving officers holding a sign saying “Tina Come Home” had gone viral.

Had gone viral :D has anyone actually seen it shared on social media?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement