Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie Instant Messenger

Options
  • 21-05-2003 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, this was suggested on IRC, and I decided to consider it, cos I'm looking for a project this summer.

Now I know that's it's too big for one man :)

Jabber/XMPP would be the protocol of choice. There are specs, discussion and requirements at www.jabber.org

This is a very rich protocol, with a lot of features which may not be needed, or which may cause hassle in terms of running a purely boards.ie service.

For example, a Jabber server is part of a relay of servers (like IRC). The basic idea is that everyone has a home server, and a login name, e.g. seamus@boards.ie (separate from any email address). From this, anyone with a login on any server can speak to anyone else with a login on any other Jabber server, e.g. seamus@boards.ie can speak to john@ibm.com. Simple enough. But two questions instantly arise in the context of boards.ie - Do we want to be able to chat across the whole Jabber network, or just within boards.ie (in which case, the @boards.ie can be removed from the username)? Also, how do we run authentication? Jabber servers allow anyone to register any nick on a server, so long as it's not taken. They can be set so that only admins create a username, but this doesn't allow for automation. In boards's case, it'd be preferable to have integration into the vb Database, so users must register with boards before they can use it, to avoid hijacking. But that may be overkill, and more hassle than it's worth (as well as undesirable for the boards.ie admins).

I was considering writing a boards.ie client in Java (for use on any OS), and using one of the available servers and hacking it up to suit our needs.

So I need discussion, offers of help, people to tell me it's worth my while, and someone to help run the whole project. As I say, it's far too much for one man........

:)

(Incidentally, a pseudo-private boards.ie IM could be set up without having to do any work at all, using existing software, but where's the fun in that? :))

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think its a really cool idea, but I think I'm just about qualified to make tea for the people doing it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Blah.

Nah, I have a long term plan for boards' technical evolution that would make this (and much much more) a reality, but it's just in planning stages at present and a good way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm with sykeirl but a suggestion:

If it can be secure and go through firewalls it would be cool, but maybe that is not a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Gordon
    I'm with sykeirl but a suggestion:

If it can be secure and go through firewalls it would be cool, but maybe that is not a possibility.

Through firewall would be good ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

To do that.

Assuming you have port 80, which is good and (not proxied).

You'd have to have a client on
    machine X, which connects to a jabber_proxy on Server Y (port 80) and from jabber_proxy on Server Y, you connect to ports 5xxx and do your jabber Protocol thang.

Then send the data back to the calling client.

In fact, that might even work through an interviening HTTP proxy, but, your sysadmin would snarf you in a lart-second.

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement