Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brand new tablet takes over 6 hours to charge

• 29-09-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me I just got a tablet for my daughter 2 days ago a alcatel t1 10 inch, and its take over 6 hours to charge..does anyone know if this is normal because I have had a tablet before that was cheaper and it didn't take that long to charge.
    I did go back to the shop where I bought it and they told me it's normal but I'm not convinced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

2 factors affect charge time....

- Charger output Voltage (V) and current (A)
    - Battery voltage (V) and capacity (mAh)

Assuming Voltage of charger and battery are more or less equal then a 1A charger will take 1 hour to charge a 1000mAh battery from empty to full (in theory anyway).

What does the manual say about charge duration?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

According to the online manual the battery in this is 4000mAh (edited post, originally said 400). Unit comes with a "travel charger" with 5V, 1A output.

Looking at reviews, this device takes 4.5 hours to fully charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭kirving

The capacity should be 4,000mAh (Milliamp Hours).

Now this isn't strictly correct maths, as the battery is likely 3.7V rather than 5V from the USB charger, but if the charger is supplying 1Amp (1,000mA), then it will take a minimum of 4 hours to charge.

After that, the battery gets warm when being charged which represents an efficiency loss.

If the charger is only 80% efficient, then the minimum charging time is 5 hours or so.

Then if the tablet is on during charging, it will take even longer. 6 hours is very slow all the same, I'd invest in more powerful charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

4,000mAh battery and 1A charger will take 4+ hours to fully charge from empty.

Is it a USB connector or DC jack? Have you another charger to try as the supplied charger might not be giving it's rated output.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Sorry, typo - its 4,000mAh. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement