Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trump's tax info is out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

A sexual assault allegation last week and a financial scandal this week. What perfect timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Yurt! wrote: »
    I won't proclaim to be an expert on the US tax code, but that sounds like an utterly sh*t way to run a developed country.

Get yourself in a position where you're trading consistently at a massive loss, and as long has you have access to credit you can long-finger taxes. Butcher, baker and candlestick maker can pay the taxes that keep the country running.

No wonder the place is on fire.

Not really.

It requires people to spend to get these losses. Spending makes economies.

It is why people CAN make money in the US.

It is a different way of taxing.

While the average figure for many people is 30% of gross as tax (not 50% as in Europe) it depends on how you spend that money earned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

AllForIt wrote: »
    A sexual assault allegation last week and a financial scandal this week. What perfect timing.

Its nearly like when there is an election in the South of Ireland ~ ~ ~ All sorts of stuff starts coming out about the Shinners ! ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I simply don't click on random twatter links, life's too short.

Oh you didn;t even have to click on any links, I provided the information in the tweets.

Why just two classifications?

How about you examine all Corporates, Charaties, NGOs, Individuals, Partnerships, Sole-traders, SoHos, Small LTDs, Holding Groups, Contractors, Trust Funds, Offshore (small island) Accounts, Swiss Accounts, Investment Funds, Special Classifications, Sweet Deals, Dutch Sandwiches, IHT and so on, the world over, then get back to me.

They were just two examples, life's too short to list all categories of tax payers.

Let's simplify things - do you think everyone, rich, poor and inbetween, should pay their fair share of taxes on their earnings/profits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Thta just says over the last two decades he has been buying and not selling therefore making very little personal gain in cash balance. He is buying golf resorts all around the world. He will one day sell them at a profit and pay the appropriate tax.

If a taxi man bought a new car this year and off set it against his earnings for 4 years he would also pay less tax. (As far as I know, Im not an accountant or a taxi man) thats all thats happening here, rediculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Thta just says over the last two decades he has been buying and not selling therefore making very little personal gain in cash balance. He is buying golf resorts all around the world. He will one day sell them at a profit and pay the appropriate tax.

If a taxi man bought a new car this year and off set it against his earnings for 4 years he would also pay less tax. (As far as I know, Im not an accountant or a taxi man) thats all thats happening here, rediculous.

You're not an accountant but it's all ridiculous. :D

The Donald is a Great President and a Great Guy. I am sure he has made great investments that will make great paybacks when they come to fruition.

Its all Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Trump creates wealth. He uses his vast sums of money to build hotels and golf courses just to have the pleasure of creating employment. Lots of people will try to fool you into believing that Trump sits atop a complex economic ecosystem that distributes wealth from consumers and employees to people like Trump but that is just begrudgery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Let's simplify things - do you think everyone, rich, poor and inbetween, should pay their fair share of taxes on their earnings/profits?

Let's clarify firstly: as you have to include all 'corporate entities and structures', not just 'people' as this thread relates to historical corporate enterprises also.

Then let's simplify things, even further.
    In a world where there are clever and technically-legal pathways for anyone/everyone (with the fiscal means) to signficantly reduce their tax payments, is this ever going to happen?

i) Change the system, that favours such legal (if immoral) numerical wizardry
    ii) Then everyone will (have to) pay their fair share. Simple, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,097 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The wealthy (all of them) don't pay tax (not their fair share anyway), surely this is common knowledge by now.

It's also now common knowledge that your man is a broke loser who is hundreds of millions in the hole. Is that typical for successful wealthy businessmen?

• Advertisement

Trump creates wealth. He uses his vast sums of money to build hotels and golf courses just to have the pleasure of creating employment. Lots of people will try to fool you into believing that Trump sits atop a complex economic ecosystem that distributes wealth from consumers and employees to people like Trump but that is just begrudgery.
    Donald Trump is a Great President and more important a Great Guy.

blinding wrote: »

He paid more for sex in the last 10 years than he did in taxes.

What a patriot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

blinding wrote:

SuRe hE iS.

"The “consultants” are not identified in the tax records. But evidence of this arrangement was gleaned by comparing the confidential tax records to the financial disclosures Ivanka Trump filed when she joined the White House staff in 2017. Ms. Trump reported receiving payments from a consulting company she co-owned, totaling $747,622, that exactly matched consulting fees claimed as tax deductions by the Trump Organization for hotel projects in Vancouver and Hawaii."

That's probably my favourite bit from the NYT article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's also now common knowledge that your man is a broke loser who is hundreds of millions in the hole. Is that typical for successful wealthy businessmen?
    Say wha, who's man, yo' man?

Name a successful businessman (or woman) that hasn't used tax optimsation techniques, or experienced a hiccup or twelve.

That chap Branson is often held up as a glimmering light of business leadership isn't he?.... 2020: Virgin Australia filed for “administration” — a form of bankruptcy …EPA Virgin Atlantic has filed for bankruptcy protection in the US/NY

Virgin Cola: Gone Flat.
    Virgin Brides: Big Busts.
    Virgin Clothing: Unclothed, with naked losses
    Virgin Vodka: Swallowed and sank
    Virgin Cars: Driven down.
    Virgin Vie: £21m write off.
    Virgin Megastore: Doors closed on this.
    Virgin Digital: A digital dud.

“My mother drummed into me from an early age that I should not spend much time regretting the past. I try to bring that discipline to my business career. Over the years, my team and I have not let mistakes, failures or mishaps get us down. Instead, even when a venture has failed, we try to look for opportunities, to see whether we can capitalise on another gap in the market.” RB.

blinding wrote: »

He's tremendous, got some great people on the job, fantastic people, great genes, from good stock, good Americans, love their country.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQOUSZsv63kgVKIJlt92N2DwuAN5iGJU4AbFw&usqp=CAU

What a patriot!
    He kept his end up !

He's tremendous, got some great people on the job, fantastic people, great genes, from good stock, good Americans, love their country.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQOUSZsv63kgVKIJlt92N2DwuAN5iGJU4AbFw&usqp=CAU
    Ya gotta love the Guy. And when the Commies are crying again after Election Night ya just Love the Guy More ! !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

What a patriot!

Well he IS married..:)

NSAman wrote: »
    Well he IS married..:)

Ah, poor Melania. 4 years of uprooting rose gardens, overseeing new tennis courts, showcasing the WH christmas trees, wearing offensive sloganed jackets while on visits to kids in cages and of course, having to fend off her husband's unwanted prying hands in public and smiling whilst slowly dying inside. 4 long years waiting for that divorce.

Now, it appears Stormy Daniels will get more of her husband's money than she'll ever see in alimony :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

This is not remotely surprising. We’ve heard about him being in debt for years.

I think seeing the actual figure paid might be alienating to on-the-fence voters though, many of whom will have paid a lot more tax than him this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

"The “consultants” are not identified in the tax records. But evidence of this arrangement was gleaned by comparing the confidential tax records to the financial disclosures Ivanka Trump filed when she joined the White House staff in 2017. Ms. Trump reported receiving payments from a consulting company she co-owned, totaling $747,622, that exactly matched consulting fees claimed as tax deductions by the Trump Organization for hotel projects in Vancouver and Hawaii."

That's probably my favourite bit from the NYT article.

That's amazing self-dealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

This is not remotely surprising. We’ve heard about him being in debt for years.

I think seeing the actual figure paid might be alienating to on-the-fence voters though, many of whom will have paid a lot more tax than him this year.
    Basically every single working person in America will have paid more than $750

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Basically every single working person in America will have paid more than $750

Well, maybe not some part timers. Different country, I know, but when I was a part-timer, I paid basically no tax.

527629.png

Jealousy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Democrats support the system which allows this injustice.

Americans generally are anti tax, it's part of their culture.

Trump just another rich American.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

It won't make an iota of difference to his base. I get the feeling that Trumps support isn't for Trump the man per-se, but rather for Trumpism - the pushback against liberalism generally.

A lot of people still can't grasp this basic fact yet. It's actually bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Should solidify another term then!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

He is like half the property developers here so. (well not all there are some good ones)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

A lot of people still can't grasp this basic fact yet. It's actually bizarre.
    i think we get it ...but you have to try

Advertisement