Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Following on from my other thread (Windows randomly rebooting while gaming)

• 25-09-2020 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

I touched on this in my bluetooth thread.

Basically my PC is randomly rebooting when I game, I've read billions of pages online trying to get to the bottom of it and tried to solve all the recommendations up to my limited pc 'skills'

I'm fairly sure it isn't a overheating issue unless the psu is faulty (Psu 750w)

I've finally decided to get a professional to look at it and he collects it tomorrow but what I did narrow it down to if I could even use that term is...

PC restarts far more when I play Cricket 19
    AC Odyssey it's not to much, maybe once or twice a day
    NBA2K20 it tends to happen at least once b4 the end of a 20 min game.
    but the surprising thing is it never reboots when I play Doom Eternal!
    (I've read so much about how it's probably one of the best optimised games ever)

Anyway at this stage I'm obviously paranoid and fearing the worse that the IT guy won't find the issue but if he does boy am I dying to find out what's caused it.

Intel i7-6700@3.4 (NOT overclocked)
    16.0 GB Ram
    Geforce 1080 GTX

I've also reset it so I've plenty of storage available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I touched on this in my bluetooth thread.

Basically my PC is randomly rebooting when I game, I've read billions of pages online trying to get to the bottom of it and tried to solve all the recommendations up to my limited pc 'skills'

I'm fairly sure it isn't a overheating issue unless the psu is faulty (Psu 750w)

I've finally decided to get a professional to look at it and he collects it tomorrow but what I did narrow it down to if I could even use that term is...

PC restarts far more when I play Cricket 19
    AC Odyssey it's not to much, maybe once or twice a day
    NBA2K20 it tends to happen at least once b4 the end of a 20 min game.
    but the surprising thing is it never reboots when I play Doom Eternal!
    (I've read so much about how it's probably one of the best optimised games ever)

Anyway at this stage I'm obviously paranoid and fearing the worse that the IT guy won't find the issue but if he does boy am I dying to find out what's caused it.

Intel i7-6700@3.4 (NOT overclocked)
    16.0 GB Ram
    Geforce 1080 GTX

I've also reset it so I've plenty of storage available.
    Every crash/error/issue is logged in Eventviewer logs, it might not be informative at glance, but will give you at least a hint
    You however, for some reason just ignore suggestion to look it up. :confused:
    I bet you this will be first thing IT pro will do, but potentially for a price...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

A question that springs to mind is the PSU, is it capable of supplying power at peak demand.

Anyway it's with someone now. So they'll either fix it or bring it back it back in a worse state!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Every crash/error/issue is logged in Eventviewer logs, it might not be informative at glance, but will give you at least a hint
    You however, for some reason just ignore suggestion to look it up. :confused:
    I bet you this will be first thing IT pro will do, but potentially for a price...
    I've looked in there at the start actually and that brought me to....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v4IY5FkZkE&ab_channel=MDTechVideos
    It totally spams me with some permissions type stuff

I've looked in there at the start actually and that brought me to....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v4IY5FkZkE&ab_channel=MDTechVideos
    It totally spams me with some permissions type stuff
    DCOM is error, but it wont bring your PC down, its just communication error.
    perfmon /rel is more filtered/condensed and user friendly view, anything red/amber there?
    If PC downed by PSU, windows might not even get chance to register any error, after reboot it would register event ID 41 - "unexpected shutdown"
    When you say "PC is randomly rebooting" do you mean it or is it down until you manually start it? Does it go through BIOS sequence or just reload Windows?
    Anyway, once it due to be collected for service....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

DCOM is error, but it wont bring your PC down, its just communication error.
    perfmon /rel is more filtered/condensed and user friendly view, anything red/amber there?
    If PC downed by PSU, windows might not even get chance to register any error, after reboot it would register event ID 41 - "unexpected shutdown"
    When you say "PC is randomly rebooting" do you mean it or is it down until you manually start it? Does it go through BIOS sequence or just reload Windows?
    Anyway, once it due to be collected for service....
    Is their a cpu overheat alarm? And dòom is the best example of good optimisation and programming i have played in years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

What brand is the PSU?

Could be one of a few things. Could be bad RAM, overheating CPU, PSU issue.

Though quite strange that Cricket 19 crashes most when it would run on a potato, while Doom never does, typically Doom would be by far the more resource intensive along with AC of those games.

It's nothing to do with optimization either, some games are just buggy but if everything other than Doom is crashing at various points, something is up at a hardware level most likely.

Is Windows literally self-rebooting, or is it hard crashing, or what exactly.

No info...

For what its worth, i'm not even certain now we talk "reboot" or just game crash...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Ok sorry for the delay in getting back, the problem was the PSU, I purchased a 750W G from Evga and everything has ran smoothly since.
    The previous brand PSU was a Corsair 750w.

Advertisement