Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,782 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    Pedantically distinguishing between guidelines and rules is a weasel word approach to denying responsibility and accountability.

Hogan lost his job because of fairly routine FG arrogance. Like those before him he thought he could lie and nobody would call him to account.
    Ursula did. Get over it.
    He was the only resignation I called for.
    If I was to call for all who broke or ignored guidelines from the start to resign there would be some casualty list across all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Ah he is good in fairness thinks quick, always ready for a comeback, relentless!

A1 for commitment to the cause.
    20,000 posts defending them is a lot of practice in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 27,157 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

McMurphy wrote: »
    I need more to go on here? Who broke the same guideline's as Phil Hogan?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0910/1164300-sinn-fein-storey/

"Sinn Féin's leader in Northern Ireland has acknowledged that the public health messaging capacity of the Stormont Executive was undermined by the controversy around the funeral of Bobby Storey earlier this year.

Michelle O'Neill told RTÉ News that she regrets what happened when large numbers attended the veteran republican's funeral in June, including herself and party leader Mary Lou McDonald."

Michelle seems to indicate that she broke guidelines. Maybe, like Phil Hogan, she should do the decent thing and resign.

https://www.thejournal.ie/michelle-oneill-public-health-damaged-5200733-Sep2020/

"Those who set the rules must abide by the results."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It's always 'regret'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Just looking at Mary Lou yesterday in the Dail and it struck me that they really are just a bunch of leftovers from other parties (MLM ex FF), they're a noisy verbal opposition with no real talent, apart from condemning those in power :(

Can't for the life of me imagine Mary Lou, David Cullinane, Louise O'Reilly, Martina Anderson and the rest actually running the country, like when you really think about it, it would be total madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0910/1164300-sinn-fein-storey/

"Sinn Féin's leader in Northern Ireland has acknowledged that the public health messaging capacity of the Stormont Executive was undermined by the controversy around the funeral of Bobby Storey earlier this year.

Michelle O'Neill told RTÉ News that she regrets what happened when large numbers attended the veteran republican's funeral in June, including herself and party leader Mary Lou McDonald."

Michelle seems to indicate that she broke guidelines. Maybe, like Phil Hogan, she should do the decent thing and resign.

https://www.thejournal.ie/michelle-oneill-public-health-damaged-5200733-Sep2020/

"Those who set the rules must abide by the results."

Politics north and south in this country are 2 very different things though.

There is no negative impact on your career in the north if you do wrong, so Michelle will never be hounded out of her position like Phil Hogan was.

Sure if you can preside over costing the state half a billion on a dodgy heating scheme and still keep your job, then what hope Michelle will leave her job?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Any resignations from SF?

They were quick to call out Clifden.

Not holding my breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

"

Blanch, there's only so many times you can have the same thing repeated over and over to you - so here goes.

10 PRINT “Phil Hogan did not resign because he broke pandemic guidelines, he resigned because he broke them on multiple occasions, and then lied to the public and his boss about what he did, and where he went”

20 GOTO 10

RUN

McMurphy wrote: »
    Blanch, there's only so many times you can have the same thing repeated over and over to you - so here goes.

10 PRINT “Phil Hogan did not resign because he broke pandemic guidelines, he resigned because he broke them on multiple occasions, and then lied to the public and his boss about what he did, and where he went”

20 GOTO 10

RUN

Thanks for helping the case against Michelle. She has spent months denying any wrongdoing before finally apologising for it, are you trying to say she didn't lie about breaking the restrictions?

Not just Phil Hogan, but Dara Calleary, Jerry Buttimer and others did the decent thing and resigned. Remember Dara Calleary didn't break the regulations or the guidelines, the hotel did, in the same way that Michelle will claim she didn't break the regulations or guidelines but the funeral did.

So, again should Michelle copy the good example set by Dara Calleary and resign because she has lost credibility on messaging as she herself admits?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

In an interview with RTÉ News, O’Neill acknowledged that the Stormont Executive’s public health messaging capacity had been undermined by the row.

“I accept that we have not been able to deliver clear messaging in the format that was the practice before this controversy.”

It took her 2 months to realise her behaviour had undermined the public health message?

Storeygate for slow learners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Much more concerned by the glorification of the thug Storey and the Sinn Fein IRA budget paramilitary display at the pretendy funeral than any breach of covid restrictions. Expect we will be waiting for any apology on that front for a while.

Mary Lou on the radio this morning blithely bleating on about the difficulty of losing loved ones during covid apparently insensitive to all the loved ones deliberately murdered by her colleagues over the years. Yes Mary; very difficult indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

I hope the boys in West Belfast will tell her to resign so, as you know, fair is fair....

I also hope those who for days and weeks criticised Hogan and Co. will equally be forthright in their demands for O'Neil to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Truthvader wrote: »
    Much more concerned by the glorification of the thug Storey and the Sinn Fein IRA budget paramilitary display at the pretendy funeral than any breach of covid restrictions. Expect we will be waiting for any apology on that front for a while.

Mary Lou on the radio this morning blithely bleating on about the difficulty of losing loved ones during covid apparently insensitive to all the loved ones deliberately murdered by her colleagues over the years. Yes Mary; very difficult indeed.

The neck of her....

Yet, at the same token Storey and the boys from the old brigade took over the Crematorium for the day, denying other loved ones the chance to say their final goodbyes.

So, do as I say, but not as I do.
    Yet, people buy in the brainwashing that SF are different?

markodaly wrote: »
    I hope the boys in West Belfast will tell her to resign so, as you know, fair is fair....

I also hope those who for days and weeks criticised Hogan and Co. will equally be forthright in their demands for O'Neil to resign.

As McMurphy has pointed out the most apt comparison isn't with Phil Hogan. He has helped point me towards the example of Dara Calleary, who didn't break any regulation or guideline but who resigned because his actions had undermined the public health messaging capacity of the government - the same offence that Michelle has admitted to.

Dara Calleary did the right thing very quickly, months and months later, Sinn Fein deputy leader O'Neill has repeatedly failed on that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Not a normal party.

Can't for the life of me imagine Mary Lou, David Cullinane, Louise O'Reilly, Martina Anderson and the rest actually running the country, like when you really think about it, it would be total madness.

Total lunacy.
    Forever home for all the wasters, tax cuts, raise corporation tax, tax the wealthy (but yet have tax cuts) ........ to be fair they just spiel populist horsesh1t that folk who are not overly smart find appealing despite the impossibility of it all :)

Augeo wrote: »
    Total lunacy.
    Forever home for all the wasters, tax cuts, raise corporation tax, tax the wealthy (but yet have tax cuts) ........ to be fair they just spiel populist horsesh1t that folk who are not overly smart find appealing despite the impossibility of it all :)

Don't forget the apple tax!!

Don't forget the apple tax!!

Why ?? Their mouth pieces on here have - actually totally blanked it and haven’t responded to any posts about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Why ?? Their mouth pieces on here have - actually totally blanked it and haven’t responded to any posts about it .

The most you get is something incoherent about "FAIRNESS".

christy c wrote: »
    The most you get is something incoherent about "FAIRNESS".

The Parnell Square server must be gone down, as there has been little response to the news about Michelle admittting to undermining the Covid-19 health message.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Ah the Govt a shambles again, Minister Agriculture not even knowing what's going on in his Dept, the SF threads are busy again. Shock Horror

Ah the Govt a shambles again, Minister Agriculture not even knowing what's going on in his Dept, the SF threads are busy again. Shock Horror

You wouldn’t be trying to spin there would you . What about the Apple money Mary ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

You wouldn’t be trying to spin there would you . What about the Apple money Mary ?

My names not Mary

My names not Mary

mary-lou-10-310x415.jpg

Very quite in here after Michelle's admission.

Couldnt shut them up when it was Clifden a few weeks ago.

Laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

They have gone away you know.

Very quite in here after Michelle's admission.

Couldnt shut them up when it was Clifden a few weeks ago.

Laughable

What is it you were wanting to see JJ?

Michelle has admitted to what I criticised her for. Good.
    That's that then.

A funeral was never the same thing as a jolly for the golf lads and the elites.
    Nor was it the same thing as a FG Commissioner lying to everybody including his EU boss and when caught having to resign.

What is it you were wanting to see JJ?

Michelle has admitted to what I criticised her for. Good.
    That's that then.

A funeral was never the same thing as a jolly for the golf lads and the elites.
    Nor was it the same thing as a FG Commissioner lying to everybody including his EU boss and when caught having to resign.

Rules were broken.

There is no two ways about it.

Doesn't matter if its a funeral or a golf outing.

Many people couldn't and still can't go to loved ones funerals but SF and their members are different??

Michelle knows what she should do.

But it's SF so we know they will never face up to their mistakes.

Ever.

Rules were broken.

There is no two ways about it.

Doesn't matter if its a funeral or a golf outing.

Many people couldn't and still can't go to loved ones funerals but SF and their members are different??

Michelle knows what she should do.

But it's SF so we know they will never face up to their mistakes.

Ever.

Rules and guidelines have been broken and gnored since this thing started by all and sundry.
    The only resignation I called for was the FG commissioner who got caught lying (8 times was it?)

People have to modify behaviour, that was always going to be a learning process.
    Would the Oireactas organise a golf outing again...no they wouldn't, we hope. Would a state funeral be allowed to break guidelines again...no it wouldn't, we hope. Would SF organise a funeral like that again..no they wouldn't, we hope.
    Will a FGer arrogantly lie again....hmmmm.

• Advertisement

Rules and guidelines have been broken and gnored since this thing started by all and sundry.
    The only resignation I called for was the FG commissioner who got caught lying (8 times was it?)

People have to modify behaviour, that was always going to be a learning process.
    Would the Oireactas organise a golf outing again...no they wouldn't, we hope. Would a state funeral be allowed to break guidelines again...no it wouldn't, we hope. Would SF organise a funeral like that again..no they wouldn't, we hope.
    Will a FGer arrogantly lie again....hmmmm.

What about FF's David who resigned straight away.

Did you think he shouldn't have?

Do you think it's OK if we all ignore the guidelines?

Is that SFs stance?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement