Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FG to still just do nothing for the next 5 years - part 2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Major story in the 'the paper of record' this morning and the national broadcaster still hasn't picked up on it.
    The article below?
    That's not a major story
    Theres nothing new in it,we already knew that gps were campaigning against FG
    And we already knew O'Tuathail was pitching chay Bowes project
    It could be further evidence of Mr Bowes being rebuffed at the end and why he turned on Vradakar from what I can see, to be honest
    Doctors who campaigned against Fine Gael in general election campaigns would be “shooting themselves in the foot”, Fine Gael leader Leo Varadkar told GPs representative, Maitiú Ó Tuathail, two years ago.

In text exchanges in October 2018, the then-taoiseach also warned Dr Ó Tuathail that ongoing discord among GP groups might disadvantage them over other groups seeking concessions from the Government, saying “we need to cut a deal with you soon. Only a limited pot [of money] and nurses and consultants are much more effective at getting something from it”.

Earlier in the exchange, the then-president of the National Association of General Practitioners (NAGP) warned Mr Varadkar that GPs were discussing “actively campaigning” against Fine Gael.

“Including posters in waiting room, handing leaflets to patients and placing posters on lampposts,” said one of the text messages, released to The Irish Times under the Freedom of Information Act.

In response, Mr Varadkar texted: “Who will [they] campaign for. SF and leftists want you all on salaries and not big ones. Maybe €60k. Labour wants free GP for everyone within a few years. Foot and shoot spring to mind.”

In his reply to Dr Ó Tuathail, the then taoiseach continued: “Hopeful talks with IMO [ Irish Medical Organisation] will result in a deal on increased resources but they have to be realistic. Budget is limited even with the extra billion” – a reference to a further increase in health funding of €1.05 billion signed off in Budget 2019, which had been announced two days before the text exchange.

Dr Ó Tuathail responded by saying: “We are rightly f****d I know this. It’s just frustrating. Like campaigning for FF. I think I’ll resign before I do that.” Mr Varadkar said: “Only way to stop it is for GPs to sign up to a deal that’s affordable for the taxpayer and good for patients – phased reversal of Fempi [recession-era cuts], new money for new services and phased extension for free GP care to those on lower incomes.”

Mr Varadkar told the NAGP president that the “biggest problem from our point of view is that GPs are fighting among themselves and don’t know what they want or are willing to give in return for more resources”.

Sections of the text exchange are redacted, but Mr Varadkar then continues: “Anyway IMO and NAGP can come together and agree something along these lines. We need to cut a deal with you soon. Only a limited pot and nurses and consultants much more effective at getting something from it”.

Dr Ó Tuathail responded, saying the two organisations would “never come together”. “We’ve the members but they’ve the power. S**t situation all round.”

‘Not best practice’
    Dr Ó Tuathail and the Tánaiste were at the centre of a controversy in November when it emerged that Mr Varadkar had leaked the NAGP president a copy of a confidential pay deal with a rival group, the Irish Medical Organisation (IMO), before it was published or finally signed off.

Mr Varadkar has said that what he did was “not best practice”, but that it was done in order to secure the agreement of all GPs for the deal. The Opposition strongly criticised the Tánaiste over the leak, saying he had abused his position as Taoiseach, and that the leak may have benefited the NAGP, an organisation which collapsed soon afterwards. The Fine Gael leader and Dr Ó Tuathail are friends, “but not close friends”, Mr Varadkar has said.

‘Kind of irrational’
    In a separate exchange, the day after the budget, which extended free GP care to tens of thousands more people, Dr Ó Tuathail told the then taoiseach: “I think the budget may have been the last straw for GPs. I have never seen them so angry.” In response, Mr Varadkar asked whether it was not the case that GP groups wanted to expand eligibility on income rather than age, “and it’s in Sláintecare”. Given that was the case, he said anger at the implementation of these policies “is kind of irrational”.

A further text exchange the following month shows Dr Ó Tuathail recommending to the taoiseach a business project – Community Hospital Ireland – being worked on by Chay Bowes, a healthcare entrepreneur who was at the time working with the NAGP. Mr Bowes and Dr Ó Tuathail had also discussed working on the project together. Mr Bowes later supplied documents, including screengrabs of conversations between Mr Varadkar and the NAGP president, to Village Magazine for the story which caused the controversy.

“Possible solution to lack of winter initiative being launched in Tallaght in January – called Community Hospital Ireland. Great idea, and one you guys should take credit for. Seriously,” wrote Dr Ó Tuathail.

Asked for more information, the NAGP president said it was “a national community intervention team” privately funded but backed by the HSE. “Basically nurses treating patients in their home.”

The records released to The Irish Times do not show any further engagement from Mr Varadkar on the matter

In his reply to Dr Ó Tuathail, the then taoiseach continued: “Hopeful talks with IMO [ Irish Medical Organisation] will result in a deal on increased resources but they have to be realistic. Budget is limited even with the extra billion” – a reference to a further increase in health funding of €1.05 billion signed off in Budget 2019, which had been announced two days before the text exchange.
    Dr Ó Tuathail responded by saying: “We are rightly f****d I know this. It’s just frustrating. Like campaigning for FF. I think I’ll resign before I do that.” Mr Varadkar said: “Only way to stop it is for GPs to sign up to a deal that’s affordable for the taxpayer and good for patients – phased reversal of Fempi [recession-era cuts], new money for new services and phased extension for free GP care to those on lower incomes.”

Mr Varadkar told the NAGP president that the “biggest problem from our point of view is that GPs are fighting among themselves and don’t know what they want or are willing to give in return for more resources”.

Sections of the text exchange are redacted, but Mr Varadkar then continues: “Anyway IMO and NAGP can come together and agree something along these lines. We need to cut a deal with you soon. Only a limited pot and nurses and consultants much more effective at getting something from it”.

Dr Ó Tuathail responded, saying the two organisations would “never come together”. “We’ve the members but they’ve the power. S**t situation all round.”
    In a separate exchange, the day after the budget, which extended free GP care to tens of thousands more people, Dr Ó Tuathail told the then taoiseach: “I think the budget may have been the last straw for GPs. I have never seen them so angry.” In response, Mr Varadkar asked whether it was not the case that GP groups wanted to expand eligibility on income rather than age, “and it’s in Sláintecare”. Given that was the case, he said anger at the implementation of these policies “is kind of irrational”.
    A further text exchange the following month shows Dr Ó Tuathail recommending to the taoiseach a business project – Community Hospital Ireland – being worked on by Chay Bowes, a healthcare entrepreneur who was at the time working with the NAGP. Mr Bowes and Dr Ó Tuathail had also discussed working on the project together. Mr Bowes later supplied documents, including screengrabs of conversations between Mr Varadkar and the NAGP president, to Village Magazine for the story which caused the controversy.

“Possible solution to lack of winter initiative being launched in Tallaght in January – called Community Hospital Ireland. Great idea, and one you guys should take credit for. Seriously,” wrote Dr Ó Tuathail.

Asked for more information, the NAGP president said it was “a national community intervention team” privately funded but backed by the HSE. “Basically nurses treating patients in their home.”

The records released to The Irish Times do not show any further engagement from Mr Varadkar on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nobotty wrote: »
    The article below?
    That's not a major story
    It could be further evidence of Mr Bowes being rebuffed at the end and why he turned on Vradakar from what I can see, to be honest

Exactly, but Francie is desperately looking for something, anything to distract from Stanley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

blanch152 wrote: »
    Exactly, but Francie is desperately looking for something, anything to distract from Stanley.

Leo's in the news and trending again for the wrong reasons.
    Bring up SF quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The article below?
    That's not a major story

He claimed he leaked the document to bring more GP's on board to improve the deal. He lied. It was only to try cadge votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Bowie wrote: »
    He claimed he leaked the document to bring more GP's on board to improve the deal. He lied. It was only to try cadge votes.

He lied to the Dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

smurgen wrote: »
    He lied to the Dail.

I might say you lie.
    You guess at best.

I might say you lie.
    You guess at best.

Just a reminder...
    Mr Varadkar also rejected as “false and without foundation and deeply offensive” any suggestion that he had anything to gain personally from the disclosure.

“I wanted to use the influence of the taoiseach’s office to secure a new contract with GPs, to reverse the [austerity era] Fempi cuts in return for a commitment to provide better services in the community for more patients free at the point of use.”

Now read the piece in the times.
    Varadkar is worried GP's will be canvassing against FG.

He leaked a confidential document to a pal to try cadge votes.
    He lied in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

He doesn't actually believe he leaked it at all
    I think Vradakars mistake here from a career point of view was not knowing enough about O'Tuathails neediness as evidenced by his boasts to Bowes
    But he's got away with that
    Reading the article, there IS actually nothing new in it
    Its common knowledge and Vradakar even said this that O'Tuathail was attending/organising rallys against the government
    There's no smoking gun here
    Its an extremely tenuous exaggeration to say there is from what I see there
    I'm open obviously to being convinced otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Jesus I see we're back clutching at straws again.

Yawn.

Zzzzzzz

Just a reminder...

Now read the piece in the times.
    Varadkar is worried GP's will be canvassing again FG.

He leaked a confidential document to a pal to try cadge votes.
    He lied in the Dail.

A compulsive liar. His friendship with MOT seems to be alot more concrete than he lead his party colleagues to believe. He also said he deleted the txts and deletes them routinely as he said under Q&A in the Dail and then more appear after a FOI request :D

• Advertisement

He doesn't actually believe he leaked it at all
    I think Vradakars mistake here from a career point of view was not knowing enough about O'Tuathails neediness as evidenced by his boasts to Bowes
    But he's got away with that
    Reading the article, there IS actually nothing new in it
    Its common knowledge and Vradakar even said this that O'Tuathail was attending/organising rallys against the government
    There's no smoking gun here
    Its an extremely tenuous exaggeration to say there is from what I see there
    I'm open obviously to being convinced otherwise

Its obvious his main concern was FG losing votes. Sure we all figured he didn't do it for kicks, but now we know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,940 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Hold on a second, the accusation from the start that Leo leaked documents to his pal, one of his best friends...
    Now we are meant to be told that MOT was such a good friend he was going to lead a campaign against FG and Leo in the next GE??

Spinning fairytales here lads.

So it looks like several judges applied for for Circuit Court post handed to Mary Morrissey. The solicitor that worked for Charlie Flanagan's law firm. The only name brought to cabinet by the justice minister Helen McEntee.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/several-judges-put-in-bids-for-circuit-court-post-handed-to-mary-morrissey-7t86tj8z7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭golfball37

So it looks like several judges applied for for Circuit Court post handed to Mary Morrissey. The solicitor that worked for Charlie Flanagan's law firm. The only name brought to cabinet by the justice minister Helen McEntee.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/several-judges-put-in-bids-for-circuit-court-post-handed-to-mary-morrissey-7t86tj8z7

A barrister pal of mine from Tullow who is a member of FG as it happens told me there was shock when her name was put forward locally. Minimal litigation and courtroom experience was his term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭Ireland2020

A compulsive liar. His friendship with MOT seems to be alot more concrete than he lead his party colleagues to believe. He also said he deleted the txts and deletes them routinely as he said under Q&A in the Dail and then more appear after a FOI request :D

But but but but He's Leo he can do what he likes

golfball37 wrote: »
    A barrister pal of mine from Tullow who is a member of FG as it happens told me there was shock when her name was put forward locally. Minimal litigation and courtroom experience was his term.

So what criteria did she meet? Friend of fine Gael? Again undermining our legal system. The damage this cartel are doing to our democratic institutions is unreal.

So what criteria did she meet? Friend of fine Gael? Again undermining our legal system. The damage this cartel are doing to our democratic institutions is unreal.

You’d be very naive to think this hasn’t been going on for decades, it’s not a new FG only initiative

You’d be very naive to think this hasn’t been going on for decades, it’s not a new FG only initiative

They've taken it to the next level of hypocrisy. The Seamus Woulfe fiasco has shown that the law is a la carte for the people they want it to be.

"People who are caught by the Gardaí breaching the national lockdown rules could face fines of up to €2,500 and a six-month jail sentence if they refuse to change their behaviour.

The Gardaí have been given powers to demand the names and addresses of people to see if they are complying with the mandatory orders not to exercise more than two kilometres beyond their homes.

They also have the power to seek information from people about the purpose of their journey to ensure that it is for the limited number of permissible reasons, such as shopping for food or providing vital care to family members.

They can also direct people to leave an area if they suspect they are breaching the mandatory rules aimed at slowing the spread of Covid-19.

The regulations were completed by attorney general Seamus Woulfe yesterday, and were put into effect by Minister for Health Simon Harris. They are in line with the powers introduced in the first public health emergency "

https://www.businesspost.ie/ireland/heavy-fines-and-jail-await-those-who-breach-lockdown-rules-5c939f29

markodaly wrote: »
    Hold on a second, the accusation from the start that Leo leaked documents to his pal, one of his best friends...
    Now we are meant to be told that MOT was such a good friend he was going to lead a campaign against FG and Leo in the next GE??

Spinning fairytales here lads.

Not sure were you got that. He was warning LV not threatening him.
    Both are true; he leaked a confidential document to his pal because both of them were worried FG would lose support/votes.
    LV lied in the Dail.

Good piece by Ross today in the Indo. Suppose it's the elephant in the room really.

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1335554821303234562?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Solicitors don’t argue in court, barristers do!!!

However, many solicitors become judges.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Solicitors don’t argue in court, barristers do!!!

However, many solicitors become judges.

I'll take a professional at his word anyway. He didn't seem to think her worthy of the position and he's an active canvasser for FG. He wouldn't have made the political connection at all with her appointment he just found it left field and unwarranted.

Not sure were you got that. He was warning LV not threatening him.
    Both are true; he leaked a confidential document to his pal because both of them were worried FG would lose support/votes.
    LV lied in the Dail.

He also lied a few times in the Dail. There's alot of it on video thank God.

https://twitter.com/caulmick/status/1335195424257355783?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

@Smurgen. this 'dazzling team' of S.F. who are they. pierce doherty.. eoin o'broin. dazzling?

but as you said about Mary Morrissey being made a Circuit Court Judge. probably she is F.G. herself?

a statistic i saw recently about judges in Europe, per 100,000 of people: Italy 11; Finland 18; France 10.7; Greece 18; Germany 24.3; U.K. 3.5 (+lay persons); Ireland 3.2.

This country has the lowest number of Judges in Europe.

@Smurgen. this 'dazzling team' of S.F. who are they. pierce doherty.. eoin o'broin. dazzling?

but as you said about Mary Morrissey being made a Circuit Court Judge. probably she is F.G. herself?

a statistic i saw recently about judges in Europe, per 100,000 of people: Italy 11; Finland 18; France 10.7; Greece 18; Germany 24.3; U.K. 3.5 (+lay persons); Ireland 3.2.

This country has the lowest number of Judges in Europe.

Yep she's Fine Gael. Party members were unhappy with it as she done nothing to help perceptions of cronyism that plague Fine Gael.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40104371.html

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Yep she's Fine Gael. Party members were unhappy with it as she done nothing to help perceptions of cronyism that plague Fine Gael.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40104371.html

they all do that; it is at the local level that these three parties carve up the areas After elections, i.e. having taken votes from areas that they intend to discard; and give each other whatever areas that suit them. It is like a gangster gathering.

The problem about Judges though; as those statistics show, the lowest number in Europe; is this because the Gardai are too? much involved in deciding crime? and may dissuade ordinary persons from going to Court?

they all do that; it is at the local level that these three parties carve up the areas After elections, i.e. having taken votes from areas that they intend to discard; and give each other whatever areas that suit them. It is like a gangster gathering.

The problem about Judges though; as those statistics show, the lowest number in Europe; is this because the Gardai are too? much involved in deciding crime? and may dissuade ordinary persons from going to Court?

I can't understand this post sorry. Could you rephrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I used to support FG -up to 2011. I stopped supporting them because they failed to do anything radical in health or housing. Yes I know cut backs had to happen 2011-4 but nothing was done to help the lives of ordinary people. Medical and legal costs were mentioned by the trokia but no reform occurred.
    Interesting to note that Frank clarke mentioned reforming legal costs when he took office and then simply did nothing. But on and on he goes about seamus wolfe who the avg punter trying to pay legal bills won't give a flying **** about.
    FG still don't get it about housing. Yes there has been some notable initiatives but they are still behind on targets

Can you imagine that Fine Gael wanted to celebrate the forces that burned our second city to the ground? 100 year centenary of the burning of Cork this week.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/cork-fire-burning-of-cork-1920-5291014-Dec2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Can you imagine that Fine Gael wanted to celebrate the forces that burned our second city to the ground? 100 year centenary of the burning of Cork this week.

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/cork-fire-burning-of-cork-1920-5291014-Dec2020/

That is a fairly disingenuous comment.

Advertisement