Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 GUI Cups & Shields

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

slingerz wrote: »
    For me the inter club events moving to 3 matches at home and 2 away is a positive that should stay post covid. Get the chance to go out and see guys playing senior cup/purcell as well as not tying up courses for weekends hosting matches.’

Sure the finals could be neutral venues etc but i think the opening rounds being played home and away is definitely a positive

Was saying this at match I was watching today, think it's a good way of doing it. More likely to get a crowd at home games.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kitkatman

i heard there was trouble on Saturday in the Mullingar/New Forrest Pierce Purcell match. The latter club had a lad from Offaly on the team away at Mullingar and word is he was told to get off the course at the 13th and forfeit his game. Also, NF won the match overall, yet the club elected to give the tie to Mullingar. These Covid county restrictions really are a load of bull, and if true the saga reflects badly on Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

kitkatman wrote: »
    i heard there was trouble on Saturday in the Mullingar/New Forrest Pierce Purcell match. The latter club had a lad from Offaly on the team away at Mullingar and word is he was told to get off the course at the 13th and forfeit his game. Also, NF won the match overall, yet the club elected to give the tie to Mullingar. These Covid county restrictions really are a load of bull, and if true the saga reflects badly on Mullingar.

New Forest won but Mullingar were awarded 'the tie' by Mullingar? Need that one clarified please!

If New Forest fielded a player from an affected county, then Mullingar were correct to request action. Player and club have breached the rules issued by the GUI on Friday evening.
    Lucan played Grange Castle yesterday in the Junior Cup. 3 Lucan men who had been due to play had to sit the match out because theyre from Kildare. Grange Castle had at least 1 team member in the same situation I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mullingar were happy enough to start with him on the team but by the 13th it looked like they were gonna be beaten so they pulled out all the stops to get the win.

And New Forest decided that if that was the way they wanted to win, they could have it.

Thats how it looks to me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Rosses Point vs Strandhill in Senior Cup yesterday, 3 away, 2 home in a local derby. Rosses Point TJ Ford won 6/5 away and was 7 under gross for 13 holes!!, Rosses Point won both home matches easily. We lost one of the other away matches 6/5, Strandhill Tristan Probst was 3 under gross for 13 holes, good golf all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

Hermitage beat Elm Park in Senior Cup, Lisheen Springs in the Bruen and Luttrellstown in the Junior Cup over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Rikand wrote: »
    Mullingar were happy enough to start with him on the team but by the 13th it looked like they were gonna be beaten so they pulled out all the stops to get the win.

And New Forest decided that if that was the way they wanted to win, they could have it.

Thats how it looks to me :D

Not quite what happened from what I hear!

For clarity, I am a member in Mullingar and this is second-hand information.

Anyway, here's what I'm told - Team Captain of NF asked his team a day or so beforehand if there was anyone living in Offaly that couldn't play as a result of the restrictions, and if so to let him know asap as he would need to find a replacement. Nobody put their hand up saying they couldn't play.

NF Team Captain was then made aware during one of the matches (on 13th hole I believe) that one of his players in fact lived in Offaly. He was pretty annoyed that he wasn't told about this when he asked his team the question initially.

He then forfeited that match straight away as a result, which is all he was obliged to do, but a short while later he then decided to forfeit the entire match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Malahide beat Clontarf in Junior Cup on Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Moate beat Mullingar 3-2 on Thursday in Jimmy Bruen (3rd rd) but lost in the Barton Cup v Mount Temple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cahir bt Tipp Town 3-2 in Pierce Purcell today. Pretty crazy game

Cahir bt Tramore in Junior Cup 3.5-1.5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Anyone else think all the time and effort for inter-club matches thus far will be completely in vain? Just looking at the number of covid cases yesterday, the GUI might have to make a difficult call in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

HighLine wrote: »
    Anyone else think all the time and effort for inter-club matches thus far will be completely in vain? Just looking at the number of covid cases yesterday, the GUI might have to make a difficult call in the next few weeks.

But they’re not going past the regionals this year anyway aren’t they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,030 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Has there been time and effort this year?
    No practice rounds, matches etc really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

GreeBo wrote: »
    Has there been time and effort this year?
    No practice rounds, matches etc really

Plenty.. speaking as a team manager. All teams are playing practice rounds.
    Then there is the time spent on the day of the match. So for example, on Sunday next, I will have to travel to Elm Park from Wicklow, stand around for 5/6 hours and then drive home.

Some of our players are playing different matches both Saturday and then Sunday as well. So obviously lots of time and effort.

The 2020 inter-club scene should have been cancelled IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Elmgreen lost to Corrstown in pierce Purcell. Gonna take a good team to beat them on that form

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Portmarnock Links beat Roganstown in Barton cup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Rosses Point lost to Castle Dargan in Junior Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Plenty.. speaking as a team manager. All teams are playing practice rounds.
    Then there is the time spent on the day of the match. So for example, on Sunday next, I will have to travel to Elm Park from Wicklow, stand around for 5/6 hours and then drive home.

Some of our players are playing different matches both Saturday and then Sunday as well. So obviously lots of time and effort.

The 2020 inter-club scene should have been cancelled IMO.

I know in our club, management or playing is entirely optional. Did you not have a choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭srfc d16

An issue I have with the teams is the same faces being picked for multiple teams. Giving more players a chance would help with some of the time commitments mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

srfc d16 wrote: »
    An issue I have with the teams is the same faces being picked for multiple teams. Giving more players a chance would help with some of the time commitments mentioned.

I have found that happens because it is the same names who put their names forward to play/manage
    The people who complain about this often don't put their name forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭srfc d16

That is definitely part of it but I am aware of plenty of people that put their names forward and don't get selected while others get selected for every team they are eligible for.
    There is a logic to picking the lads that performed well previously but people do get disheartened by putting themselves forward and not being selected year after year so eventually don't bother putting themselves forward any more.
    I have friends in many different clubs and they have separately said to me that it is harder to get off a team than it is to get on one so I don't think it is a club specific thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Can there be winter rules in interclub?

Playing a game away on Friday and went for practice today and it was very wet under feet and on most fairways. Not much let up in weather until Friday so course is going to be very wet. Mud ball etc. Bunkers out of play roday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

As someone who is now just looking in from afar; can any managers or current players advise on what they think is the best make up of the team given the 3 home and 2 away Matches.

This is a new format in Munster region anyway for all the comps so interested to know peoples thoughts on how managers should go about putting the team together.

Luckily my old club has got through a few matches so far in a couple of the comps so interested to see how the teams get selected.

Also interesting is that Adare Resort were entered in a few comps for the first time I think. Would certainly be putting my hand up to play the away leg if I was playing against them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Mulranny Beat Belmullet 4-1 in the first round of the Jack O'Sullivan. Trying to do 3 in a row so a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Has anyone received communication from their club regarding spectators at matches? My old club (where my dad is still a member) sent one out saying no spectators are now allowed other than subs, team captains, club captain and parent/guardian for any u18 member playing.

Not beyond the possibility of it all cups/shields getting cancelled now

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

GUI Statement out on their website now. No spectators allowed at inter club matches

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Mods delete if neccessary.

For anybody here who has a club still in a comp, we are offering our Inter Club Live Scoring FOC to all clubs still in comps.

ddc1cd62-ef07-4c99-8278-b413887067f1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

For anybody here who has a club still in a comp, we are offering our Inter Club Live Scoring FOC to all clubs still in comps.

Hi John, as manager of our PP team still in the competition I'd love to have this for myself and my assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

We used this live scoring this year and it's a great asset to keep members updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

We used this live scoring this year and it's a great asset to keep members updated.

Advertisement