Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 GUI Cups & Shields

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Not at all, you want to get the most volatility together within reason. Par on each hole will be the target which is tough for 11 handicappers

I don't follow what you are saying...what volatility are you trying to get together?

Why wouldnt combined scores be just as difficult for the 11 handicapper to get a Par in?!:confused:

My point (and others) is that if its just straight fourball then its going to come down to the two low guys playing a singles match, rendering the high guys pointless.
    Better to use combined scoring so teams are forced into trying to balance their pairs, just like in foursomes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

GreeBo wrote: »
    If they want to keep it as fourballs then it should be combined scores for each pairing, otherwise, as above, its just junior cup singles.
    Jeez for once I totally agree with you, that would seem the fairest way and involved all 4 players

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

GUI have opened an online questionnaire for clubs on inter-club competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onthefairway

I understand the GUI intend is to run a limited number of events between August to October. Senior and Junior Cups are retained as singles events but both JBS and PP will be fourball played off scratch.
    Based on the ILGU survey voting 3 to 1 against inter-club events this year there has to be serious questions asked if these same clubs will supports Men's inter-club events.

We can only wait but I am expecting all events to be cancelled for 2020.

I understand the GUI intend is to run a limited number of events between August to October. Senior and Junior Cups are retained as singles events but both JBS and PP will be fourball played off scratch.
    Based on the ILGU survey voting 3 to 1 against inter-club events this year there has to be serious questions asked if these same clubs will supports Men's inter-club events.

We can only wait but I am expecting all events to be cancelled for 2020.

Thankfully women won't have a say in it as GUI & ILGUI not as one yet, Our club have already submitted the comps they intend staying in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Thankfully women won't have a say in it as GUI & ILGUI not as one yet, Our club have already submitted the comps they intend staying in

Yes there was a big difference in voting between the mens and ladies section at my club. The ladies unanimously against inter-club comps where as the majority of men's committee were in favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Golfhead65 wrote: »

Good Man there Golf head nice bit of sexism but you do know that women now have the vote and can drive cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Good Man there Golf head nice bit of sexism but you do know that women now have the vote and can drive cars

****ing yawn

gypsy79 wrote: »
    ****ing yawn

Hello gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

I'm sure he meant thankfully their vote won't count for the interclubs as he wants it to go ahead. I wouldn't be joining the dots that quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Are we any further along with these competitions? Have survey results been shared and do we know any competition dates?

I've got internal jimmy bruen qualifying in the club next week. Seems a bit early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Are we any further along with these competitions? Have survey results been shared and do we know any competition dates?

I've got internal jimmy bruen qualifying in the club next week. Seems a bit early.

Can I ask how are you conducting internal qualifying? No practice rounds or trials are allowed at our club because the timesheet is just too jammed (an effort to give every member an opportunity to play each week). Personally I'm playing twice a week and trying to get my game up to scratch but it's tough when your not with your normal partner playing matches against lads that are also trying out for the team.

I think the push back of competitive golf will kill off any inter or intra club matches for 2020.

Same result for our club, the ladies dont seem interested, the mens club are happy to go ahead.

Can I ask how are you conducting internal qualifying? No practice rounds or trials are allowed at our club because the timesheet is just too jammed (an effort to give every member an opportunity to play each week). Personally I'm playing twice a week and trying to get my game up to scratch but it's tough when your not with your normal partner playing matches against lads that are also trying out for the team.

We're doing a betterball V-Par format against the course. Everyone off scratch.
    Ongoing 9 hole qualifying over 2 weeks and best score in week 1 is straight in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I think the push back of competitive golf will kill off any inter or intra club matches for 2020.

Same result for our club, the ladies dont seem interested, the mens club are happy to go ahead.

I agree, it’s now impossible to do inter-club golf in the short timeframe and to ask clubs to give up tee times for so few people involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I agree, it’s now impossible to do inter-club golf in the short timeframe and to ask clubs to give up tee times for so few people involved.

Are most matches not mid-week, so when the initial rush of golf calms down would this be a problem? Or maybe its just the ones my club enters that are mostly mid-week?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Anyone else less than enthusiastic about the cups and shields?

Personally, I've no interest in them but I've no problem with them as long as they don't interfere too much with my golf - or cost me money.

If you club is hosting the local/regional rounds then won't their be an influx of players for practice, etc and the inevitable closure for the competition itself?

In these times, isn't it a bit much restricting people's playing opportunities? Never mind the expense involved.

Always felt their was a sense of entitlement with team players - it's really for the benefit of the players involved, not the club. It's not like the main purpose of a golf club is team events.

I'll put on my tin hat now :-)

I don't feel any additional entitlement, I just put my name forward to experience some additional competitive golf as part of a team which is a world of difference from playing stableford for terrible prizes.

Qualifying may close the course for a few hours on a sunday but the other interclub matches (usually midweek) through the season have never stopped me getting a game of golf in.

How would interclub games cost you money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Teams are usually funded by the club. Entry fees negligible, but food and drink usually considerable. Which is effectively the non team players subsidising team golf for those who play on the teams. Maybe theres clubs where the team members pay to play on the teams or for their own grub, or tea and sandwiches, meals etc for the visiting teams, but anyones Ive been in, you didnt. One club I was in was a serious enough part of the mens club income every year. I think around ten grand. With maybe no more than 20 percent of the guys actually playing on a team.
    Still think theyre a good thing though. Good fun usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Personally, I've no interest in them but I've no problem with them as long as they don't interfere too much with my golf - or cost me money.

If you club is hosting the local/regional rounds then won't their be an influx of players for practice, etc and the inevitable closure for the competition itself?

In these times, isn't it a bit much restricting people's playing opportunities? Never mind the expense involved.

Always felt their was a sense of entitlement with team players - it's really for the benefit of the players involved, not the club. It's not like the main purpose of a golf club is team events.

My understanding it that the regional qualifiers are scrapped for this year and the inter clubs are reverting to a home and away system as used in a number of other inter club competitions.
    Personally I would scrapped the inter clubs this year even though I love playing in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Senior cup
    Junior Cup
    Fierce Purcell
    Bruen

all going ahead.
    Details will be confirmed soon.

plumber77 wrote: »
    I'm sure he meant thankfully their vote won't count for the interclubs as he wants it to go ahead. I wouldn't be joining the dots that quickly
    Ehh you must not know hims so

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

Thanks for info...Great that they are going ahead.... love playing the interclub... do u know format.. will JB and PP be 4 balls.. also I heard that they might play Barton cup.. did u hear anything on that.. I dont understand why they dont leave it 4somes .. each player uses their own golf ball if they need to pick it up or drop it etc.. cant see how the 4ball will work

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Senior cup
    Junior Cup
    Fierce Purcell
    Bruen

all going ahead.
    Details will be confirmed soon.

Should be renamed to this!

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Should be renamed to this!

:):):)

I never call it anything else tbh :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Draws will be published on 29th June with matches likely to start end of July. Clubs voted overwhelmingly in favour of proceeding.

I think it depends on how you view your golf club.
    Is it a *golf" club or a golf *club*.

Mine has wavered between the two, depending on Captains and Committee members. The last few years we are (thankfully) predominately a *golf* club. Playing for your club is an honour and a significant time commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Draws will be published on 29th June with matches likely to start end of July. Clubs voted overwhelmingly in favour of proceeding.

New draws happening?

slingerz wrote: »
    New draws happening?

Yeah, home/away basis knockout with no strokes qualifying this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

From GUI:
    Following a three-week feedback period, the results are as follows:

All-Ireland competitions:
    • AIG Senior Cup – 160 clubs (81% of original entry number) in favour of proceeding
    • AIG Junior Cup – 218 clubs (74% of original entry number) in favour of proceeding
    • AIG Jimmy Bruen Shield – 227 clubs (73% of original entry number) in favour of proceeding
    • AIG Pierce Purcell Shield – 235 clubs (71% of original entry number) in favour of proceeding
    • All-Ireland Gold Medals – 113 clubs (63% of original entry number) in favour of proceeding
    • Boys Under-18 Inter-Club – 90 clubs (76% of original entry number) in favour of proceeding

Provincial competitions:
    • Jack O’Sullivan (Connacht) – 26 clubs (76% of original entry number) in favour of proceeding
    • Barton Cup (Leinster) – 72 clubs (55% of original entry number) in favour of proceeding
    • Leinster Under-15 Inter-Club – 35 clubs (58% of original entry number) in favour of proceeding
    • Ulster Cup – 67 clubs (68% of original entry number) in favour of proceeding

What happens next?
    In accordance with the Plan, the Union and Provincial Branches will now progress planning for the above-mentioned competitions. These next steps are, of course, conditional on the continual unwinding of restrictions as per the roadmaps produced by the authorities in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. It must be noted, therefore, that the planning of these events is still provisional and contingent on continued progress in defeating the virus.
    This being said, the following should be noted:
    • It is the intention that draws and related information for these competitions will be published on Monday 29th June, with a potential commencement of matches at the end of July subject to public health restrictions.
    • As will be noted from the plan, it remains to be determined whether the All-Ireland competitions will run to completion, or whether they will conclude at provincial level only in 2020. A decision on this, based on the latest ongoing viability assessments and public health advice, will also be made on Monday 29th June and communicated with the draws.

Advertisement