Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

This video clip from not long after Rousey lost to Holm is interesting. Conor says she maybe had too many outside distractions and references Rocky III again saying " I have it all like Rock but still train like Clubber". Some interesting parallels between then and now I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Try and kiss us in his strong Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

I've listened back to the audio while walking 666 times around the hellfire club and listening to an ozzy osbourne records backwards - he clearly says "vote peter casey"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

https://twitter.com/KhabibArmy/status/1053838248320098305

The guy is pure class and a champion to be proud of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

ricero wrote: »

Yeah, anyone who is openly friends with Ramzan Kadyrov is a fabulous example of how a person should carry themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

To be fair their is plenty of Mcgregor visting Crumlin, sitting with that disabled lad in the crowd at a show, donating 10k to that child on go fund me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

rob316 wrote: »
    To be fair their is plenty of Mcgregor visting Crumlin, sitting with that disabled lad in the crowd at a show, donating 10k to that child on go fund me.

Hush you, this is the Pro-Khabib/anti-Conor thread now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Khabib made them disabled in the first place :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Khabib made them disabled in the first place :pac:

337086.jpg?b64lines=IE1FTiwgVEhFUkUnUyBBIExJVFRMRSBDUklQUExFRCBCT1kgU0lUVElORyBJTiBUSEUgSE9TUElUQUwKIFdITyBXQU5UUyBZT1UgVE8gV0lOIFRISVMKIEdBTUUuIEkgS05PVyBCRUNBVVNFIEkKIENSSVBQTEVEIEhJTSBNWVNFTEYgVE8KIElOU1BJUkUgWU9VLg==

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Agreed. Any guy who's the leader of a posse that gets upset when one of their guys is hurt in training is someone to be proud of.

https://youtu.be/RKa2Jutz32k

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rob316 wrote: »

Yeah but McGregor's a scumbag who only does it for the free publicity whereas khabib is a saint. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭clsmooth

What was the deal with McGregor’s posture by the way at the weigh ins and before the fight? He seemed very hunched over whilst usually you see him stand up tall? A small thing but just seemed a bit odd to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

clsmooth wrote: »
    What was the deal with McGregor’s posture by the way at the weigh ins and before the fight? He seemed very hunched over whilst usually you see him stand up tall? A small thing but just seemed a bit odd to me

Maybe be something and nothing but noticed that stance at the start of the fight walking down Khabib like a bulldog ....didn't look loose at all very tense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭clsmooth

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Maybe be something and nothing but noticed that stance at the start of the fight walking down Khabib like a bulldog ....didn't look loose at all very tense

Might have been trying to make himself look visually harder to take down? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

https://youtu.be/ELZbMm4TQs8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUvxWeUYPco

there's the lad we got behind!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Love how he goes full Dub when the American TV cameras aren't on him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Nice to see him genuinely happy. And genuinely offering help if she ever needs it. Noticed that he said that he is looking to get back in and waiting to see what the athletic commission do (probably Notting). I thought it might be the last we see if him but I think we'll see him soon enough. Hopefully the loose brutal tactician we are used to seeing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Nice to see him genuinely happy. And genuinely offering help if she ever needs it. Noticed that he said that he is looking to get back in and waiting to see what the athletic commission do (probably Notting). I thought it might be the last we see if him but I think we'll see him soon enough. Hopefully the loose brutal tactician we are used to seeing.

Based on his and Kavanagh's recent comments, I'm assuming Spring 2019 as Kavanagh's said himself, the Paddy's Eve card would be feckin' epic. Assuming a non-title fight to get back in the game, and then challenging Khabib (or anyone who's managed to take the belt off him in the meantime) for the belt next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Conor breaks down the fight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpQwHF4g3re/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1reddwa0f061t

But sure he's gone undergorund/hiding or whatever madness gets posted on here.

He's fairly spot on with his assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASOT wrote: »

Copy and paste for the lazy.
    NOTORIOUS wrote:
    Round 1. I believe from a sport standpoint, round 1 was his. Top position against the fence. Zero position advancement or damage inflicted. But top position.
    From a fight standpoint the first round is mine.
    Actual shots landed and a willingness to engage. Straight left early. Knee to the head on the low shot. Elbows in any and all tie up scenarios. Opponent just holding the legs against the fence for almost the entire round.

Round 2 he is running away around the cage before being blessed with a right hand that changed the course of the round, and the fight.
    It was a nice shot.
    After the shot I bounced back up to engage instantly, but again he dipped under to disengage. That is the sport and it was a smart move that led to a dominant round, so no issue. Well played.
    If I stay switched on and give his stand up even a little more respect, that right hand never gets close and we are talking completely different now.
    I gave his upright fighting no respect in preparation. No specific stand up spars whatsoever.
    Attacking grapplers/wrestlers only.
    That won’t happen again.
    I also gave my attacking grappling no respect. To defense minded.
    Lessons.
    Listen to nobody but yourself on your skill set.
    You are the master of your own universe.
    I am the master of this.
    I must take my own advice.

Round 3. After the worst round of my fighting career, I come back and win this round. Again walking forward, walking him down, and willing to engage.

Round 4. My recovery was not where it could have been here.
    That is my fault.
    Although winning the early exchanges in 4, he dips under again and I end up in a bad position with over 3 on the clock. I work to regain position and end up upright, with my back to the fence.
    A stable position.
    Here however, I made a critical error of abandoning my over hook at this crucial time, exposing the back, and I end up beaten fair and square.

What can I say?
    It was a great fight and it was my pleasure.
    I will be back with my confidence high.
    Fully prepared.
    If it is not the rematch right away, no problem.
    I will face the next in line.
    It’s all me always, anyway.
    See you soon my fighting fans I love you all

Fairly fair assessment there imo. Concedes he made mistakes. That he wasn't switched on. He knows he only took the 3rd. and that the 2nd was the worst round of his career.

I said more or less the same thing about the big shot in the second. I really think it had a huge impact on the fight. Led directly to the mauling in the second. And the domino effect there is huge. Feel that a lot of people disregarded it beyond being a big shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Seems a little dig at JK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Hes beyond delusional if he thinks he won that 1st round

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Yeah more than a little, pretty clear he feels the training camp & gameplan nullified his qualities and played into Khabib's hands.

In JK's interview with Ariel he said he didn't speak to McGregor after the fight and a week later hadn't spoken to him aside from a few texts, that surely can't be normal for a coach & fighter

Hes beyond delusional if he thinks he won that 1st round

He didn't say that. He admits Khabib technically won the round, but didn't actually do much other than hold him down.

Its strange for me reading that assessment because that is exactly what I said after the fight. His takedown and overall defense on the ground was good. But he was too defensive and never offered an offence himself.

Looks like he never really worked on that aspect while training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

RoryMac wrote: »
    Yeah more than a little, pretty clear he feels the training camp & gameplan nullified his qualities and played into Khabib's hands.

In JK's interview with Ariel he said he didn't speak to McGregor after the fight and a week later hadn't spoken to him aside from a few texts, that surely can't be normal for a coach & fighter

Ah I don't know about that, he says I the whole time. It's well established at this stage that Conor does what he wants and doesn't like being told no by anybody. If he wanted to train more standup then he would tell John that and they would. They didn't speak for a few weeks after the Aldo fight either so I'd say it's normal for them. John had 2 or 3 fighters on the Bellator cards a week after the fight and Conor almost immediately went on his whiskey tour thingy so texts were probably the best way for them to communicate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement