Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

nvidia Shield - Tips & tricks [Read post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Would really appreciate some help. Purchased a shield but am having problems setting up getflix

Can anyone walk me through please

On a Shield you'll need to set up Getflix on your router, as the recent shield firmware doesn't allow access to the options you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭fawlty towers

On a Shield you'll need to set up Getflix on your router, as the recent shield firmware doesn't allow access to the options you need.

Thank you, any chance you could explain or link to how this is done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

That is not correct. Set a static IP and it gives the option to set DNS where you use the Getflix DNS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

And turn off IPv6

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Getflix website have all the info for every device

I am obviously doing something wrong. I have followed the instructions but cannot get it to work. Have had no bother with firestick in the past

Go to settings, turn off ipv6
    Go back to my WiFi connection and enter
    Change up setting to static
    Enter ip address of router (or should this be the ip of device)
    Enter same IP for gateway
    Enter prefix 24
    DNS 1 - great Britain IP address as per getflix
    DNS 2 - Dublin IP address as per getflix

Any I missing a step

• Advertisement

I am obviously doing something wrong. I have followed the instructions but cannot get it to work. Have had no bother with firestick in the past

Go to settings, turn off ipv6
    Go back to my WiFi connection and enter
    Change up setting to static
    Enter ip address of router (or should this be the ip of device)
    Enter same IP for gateway
    Enter prefix 24
    DNS 1 - great Britain IP address as per getflix
    DNS 2 - Dublin IP address as per getflix

Any I missing a step

Gateway should be the router IP

Gateway should be the router IP

Thanks seems to be configured at last.

What is the best way to install BBC player itv hub etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks seems to be configured at last.

What is the best way to install BBC player itv hub etc.

Can get them from the Aptoide TV store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

What would be the go to cheaper alternative to a Shield these days? Have two shields already but just looking for something cheaper for a spare room, just for Netflix, Amazon Prime and my IPTV really

xtal191 wrote: »
    What would be the go to cheaper alternative to a Shield these days? Have two shields already but just looking for something cheaper for a spare room, just for Netflix, Amazon Prime and my IPTV really

The Xiaomi Mibox S. It's pretty much the Shields baby brother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭theintern

I have exactly that setup, Mibox in the spare room, and Shield as the main box. Works great for the usual bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

The Xiaomi Mibox S. It's pretty much the Shields baby brother.
    theintern wrote: »
    I have exactly that setup, Mibox in the spare room, and Shield as the main box. Works great for the usual bits and pieces.

Thanks. Cheapest place to get one?

Not sure about cheapest, you'll probably find it cheaper. Myself I always try stick with Amazon for the after sale support they offer, hassle free returns
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07T5ZF86L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_c3.oFb5FQD2GX

• Registered Users Posts: 14,433 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It works out at around €57 including shipping from HonorBuy

https://www.honorbuy.com/1563-xiaomi-mi-box-s-global-version.html

523368.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭BobMc

I concur, Mi Box S is in our master bedroom, I've 2 shields then on the busy tvs, I recommend the USB ethernet adapter if you can hard wire it

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

Does anyone use the rte player app on the shield. I just downloaded it and it's looking good. But can't see an option to watch live TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

isup wrote: »
    Does anyone use the rte player app on the shield. I just downloaded it and it's looking good. But can't see an option to watch live TV.

Just don’t close it and expect to access it a second time... hear they may be rolling out that feature in 2021

Give up, it's a terrible app, the only thing it plays well is the adverts. The next time you open it it will fail to launch and you'll have to clear the app data in settings to get it to open correctly. It's a constant thing, the app needs an update which rte aren't capable of giving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

Give up, it's a terrible app, the only thing it plays well is the adverts. The next time you open it it will fail to launch and you'll have to clear the app data in settings to get it to open correctly. It's a constant thing, the app needs an update which rte aren't capable of giving it.

Cheers. It was looking hopeful for a minute, playing stuff nicely and way better than the mobile app. But then I couldn't find live content and as you say it went black the 2nd time I tried to open it . Someday I'll be able to watch rte.

Cheers. It was looking hopeful for a minute, playing stuff nicely and way better than the mobile app. But then I couldn't find live content and as you say it went black the 2nd time I tried to open it . Someday I'll be able to watch rte.

I don't think there's live TV in the app anyway but you should be able to carry from the app on your phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have sideloaded the BBC on my shield. But it's impossible to navigate the app as you can't see where your selection is. What's the fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

irishgeo wrote: »
    I have sideloaded the BBC on my shield. But it's impossible to navigate the app as you can't see where your selection is. What's the fix?

Use a mouse /Air mouse or use the Nvidia Remote App on a Android device or
    ios device.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If you set your smart dns/VPN to the UK does the official app not just show up in the play store? Works perfectly then, no need for side loading

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

If you set your smart dns/VPN to the UK does the official app not just show up in the play store? Works perfectly then, no need for side loading

I can't get it to show up. I don't get the UK playstore.

If you want the Nvidia Android TV version, here it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have this issue on one of my shields. No UK local apps at all.
    I've posted previously on this thread regarding it and a workaround that does work, but only until the shield sleeps or is powercycled then it has to be done again.

I can't link the post as search on mobile is painful, but FX explorer is the main app needed to work around the issue.

If someone on desktop could dig up the post on here it would be a help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dug out that post I'd made about my encountering the same issue.
    Hope it's some help at least.
    banie01 wrote: »
    I have 3 shields and 2 are perfectly fine with iPlayer and Itv.
    One however will not list those apps no matter what account, or what locations settings I use.

Similar issue with iPlayer via Aptoide.

My workaround for it is using FXexplorer that allows apps to be enabled.
    Open FX>apps>control panel and enable the apps, the will then stay available until reboot.

It's messy, and no matter what steps I've tried even with Nvidia support I cannot get it to work same way as the other 2.
    VPN, SmartDNS, other region spoofing efforts all lead back to using FX explorer and enabling via there.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭yellowbear

I have it working fine on mine with vpn. I think all I had to do was turn off location in location settings and it showed up no problems.

A New FW update 8.2 has been released. Patch notes as follows:

Shield Experience Upgrade 8.2 (Released 8/26/2020)
    NVIDIA Staff
    Geforce-Dave@Nvidia
    36m

Today we released SHIELD Experience Upgrade 8.2 for all SHIELD and SHIELD Pro units. This update addresses many quality of life issues reported in the field, improving stability and compatibility with other devices in your home entertainment center. Thank you for being a part of the SHIELD community and as always, if you see any issues, please send feedback from your device and post your observations in this thread.

What's New?
    Features

AI Upscaling:
    2019 SHIELD Pro: Adds support for AI-enhanced upscaling for up to 60Hz content
    2019 SHIELD Pro: Adds enhanced and AI-enhanced upscaling on GeForce NOW
    Adds AI upscaling resolution support from 360p to 1440p content (30Hz max for 1440p upscaling)

Accessories:
    SHIELD Remote 2019: Adds 2 new customizable menu button actions: Double press and Long press
    Adds the following customized menu button options
    * Select Input Source (requires IR)
    * Daydream
    * Send long press menu button to app
    Adds developer option to turn off auto-pairing of factory paired accessories
    Adds IR volume control support for projectors
    SHIELD 2015/2017: Adds ‘Match frame rate (beta)’ feature to quick settings and customized menu button

Audio:
    Allows user selection of audio output device (in Advanced sound settings)
    Improves IR and CEC volume control behavior
    Adds IR volume control when using Google home paired with SHIELD (requires IR volume control)
    Adds IR volume control when using SHIELD TV app (requires IR volume control)
    SHIELD Controller 2017 & SHIELD Remote 2017/2019: Allows IR volume control to work when SHIELD is not awake.
    Adds fixed volume support for USB DAC
    Adds option to disable volume lowering when "OK Google" is detected on Google Home devices (under Volume Control)

Display:
    Adds ability for Kodi to adjust display resolution for 480p content
    Adds HDR to SDR color tone mapping

Network:
    Adds SMBv3 server compatibility for connecting to SHIELD over local network (removes Plex Media Server dependency)
    NALA SHIELD 2015 model: Adds DFS WiFi channel support
    Allows user to grant write access to NAS from installed apps (Apps -> Special app access)

Misc:
    Adds developer option to aggressively free system resources (Proactive kill background process)
    Removes forced SHIELD Experience upgrade after factory reset

Bug Fixes
    Audio:

Restores surround sound audio while casting
    Fixes bug where music would not play if display was turned off
    Resolves audio connectivity issues when pairing with LDAC compatible headsets
    Adds surround sound support for SoundBlaster X-Fi surround 5.1 pro v3
    Restores support for 96kHz/192kHz TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio passthrough
    Resolves audio dropout issue when transcoding Dolby audio to AC3
    Resolves system hang instances when USB DAC is connected
    Resolves audio issues when listening to Dolby content on headphones
    Fixes audio dropout issues when playing high bitrate and TrueHD 7.1 content
    Resolves bug where USB microphone would not be detected properly
    Fixes bug where system sounds would not be present after sleep/wake cycles
    SHIELD 2015/2017: Fixes bug when using Google Home where volume would be reduced but not restored

Video/Display:
    Resolves issue detecting Dolby Vision on Vizio or Panasonic TVs when connecting through Samsung soundbars
    Removes BT.2020 signaling on standard Dolby Vision displays
    Fixes crash bug when enabling/disabling "Match Color Space" setting in Netflix
    Fixes bug where selected custom display modes would not be visible in the "Resolution" list
    Resolves issues where AI upscaling incorrectly detects some video content as "unsupported"
    Resolves issues where AI upscaling incorrectly detects some video content as "unsupported"
    SHIELD 2015/2017: Fixes bug where some VC-1 encoded video would not play properlyFixes SHIELD 2015/2017: Fixes stutter issue observed when playing interlaced video for ~15 minutes
    SHIELD 2015/2017: Resolves issue where SHIELD loses TV sync on mode set (e.g. power on, wake, refresh/resolution changes)

Network:
    Resolves WiFi disconnect issues when SHIELD sleeps or when connecting to mesh routers
    Fixes issue where NAS would not be connected after reboot
    Resolves reporting issue where status would show up as "Unavailable" when mounting NAS
    Resolves issue where Mac users could not access SD card content from local network

Accessories:
    Increases IR volume control speed for SHIELD Remote 2019
    Fixes bug where IR/CEC volume control would not work if using a button remapper
    Fixes bug where IR control would not work in Restricted Mode
    Fixes pairing issues with 2015 SHIELD controller
    Fixes bug where notification would be displayed while pairing SHIELD accessories
    Fixes bug where customized menu button default setting would not work properly on Kodi
    Fixes issue where "OK Google" detection settings would not be visible after language change
    Fixes bug where connected Bluetooth devices with lose pairing after rebooting SHIELD
    Resolves Bluetooth pairing issues for JBL and AKG devices
    Adds alternate Bluetooth pairing mode for devices with pairing issues
    Restores home button functionality when pairing XBOX One Bluetooth controller
    Resolves disconnect issues with paired DualShock 4 controllers
    Resolves Bluetooth pairing issues when accessibility services are enabled

Misc:
    Resolves issue where some apps would not be available on Google Play Store for certain SHIELD devices
    Fixes audio stutter issue when launching Netflix
    Resolves issue where newly added files would not be visible on external storage until reboot
    Fixes bug where twitch streaming would not start
    Fixes PLEX playback issue when playing TrueHD content
    Fixes bug where SHIELD would not enter daydream mode when paused in Netflix
    Resolves issue where low battery warning would show up after replacing batteries
    Removes incorrectly displayed IR setup popup on Phillips TVs
    Resolves Live Channels app issue where closed captioning was not available
    Adds IR/CEC volume setup notification while casting
    Fixes instances where casting would crash if IR volume control was enabled
    Fixes bug where screenshots were limited to 1080p resolutions

• Advertisement

Lots of improvements in this update for the 2019 version only, like 4k 60fps geforce now. Maybe it's time for an upgrade methinks

Advertisement