Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

dave1982 wrote: »
    Nate could have refused a rematch so conor owes him one.

By 'rematch' you mean a shít-tonne of money so he doesn't really owe him anything.

Nate took that fight for Nate, not because he was being super sound to Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Conor was down at 145 and tbh his proper weight class is 155 but he only ever accepted one fight there. Won the belt and took his ball and went home. Conor owes alot 2 titles defences and nate rematch. Conor seems to have attitude once he gets what he wants he loses interest. Nate could have refused a rematch so conor owes him one.

Lol the only fights Nate refuses are ones that aren't Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Any given fighters 'proper' weight class is the one they can successfully make. If a fighter can stand on the scales at the requisite time and weigh, say 145lbs, then that is their weight class

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

D'Agger wrote: »
    By 'rematch' you mean a shtonne of money so he doesn't really owe him anything.

Nate took that fight for Nate, not because he was being super sound to Conor
    I know balls conor got paid nothing for that fight

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

cletus wrote: »
    Any given fighters 'proper' weight class is the one they can successfully make. If a fighter can stand on the scales at the requisite time and weigh, say 145lbs, then that is their weight class

When almost every fighter is draining themselves significantly to make weight then it may not be best for them long term

RDA has looked great since moving up, ditto for Gastelum, and the extremes of former WW Anthony Johnson looking good as a jacked LHW, Whittaker going from WW to MW has improved him too

When everybodys cutting weight to get an advantage nobody is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

When everybodys cutting weight to get an advantage nobody is

They no longer do. They cut weight so they're not at a disadvantage.
    If fighters are prepared to push it so far that their liver shuts down, i can't see any gentleman's agreement between them to be realistic.

The only other option is fight day weigh ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Conor was down at 145 and tbh his proper weight class is 155 but he only ever accepted one fight there. Won the belt and took his ball and went home. Conor owes alot 2 titles defences and nate rematch. Conor seems to have attitude once he gets what he wants he loses interest. Nate could have refused a rematch so conor owes him one.

His weight class at the time was 145. He is bigger now, so 155 is his proper weight class. How does he owe Nate a rematch? lol.

He owes a defense at 155. Not sure why you are saying 2 defences.
    RDA has looked great since moving up, ditto for Gastelum, and the extremes of former WW Anthony Johnson looking good as a jacked LHW, Whittaker going from WW to MW has improved him too
    Those guys, particularly Johnson and Whitaker are bigger at the higher weight classes. They haven't just started cutting less weight.
    By filling out their natural frame better they've performed better. Instead of hindering recovery but fighting to stay lighter. But they are still cutting a fair bit of weight. I've seen Whitaker in person and he is huge. 210lbs I'd guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Conor McGregor owes nobody a thing lads will ye stop, he is mma.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I know balls conor got paid nothing for that fight

McGregor gets that money whoever he's fighting, Nate does not. Again, super sound of Nate all the same, looking out for Conor like that and saying yes to the rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

When is he fighting Tony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Probably as much chance of him fighting Grant Mitchell

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It already happened after he wouldn’t get out of bed to go to work.

Paully D wrote: »
    It already happened after he wouldn’t get out of bed to go to work.

Conor 0-1 vs his pappy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Tony next and if RDA beats Woodley then Conor would defo entertain the idea of going after the WW belt again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

if RDA beats Woodley

Should be a guddun', I don't see past the Woodmeister for it though.

Inviere wrote: »
    Should be a guddun', I don't see past the Woodmeister for it though.

Only way RDA wins is by decision. It's actually a decent matchup, but ya can't really look past Woodley. Woodley isn't the most exciting fighter, and doesn't exactly impose his own style on fights, but he's one of the best at countering his opponents strengths. His fight style is totally reactive but it's got him this far.

It's hard to look past Woodley indeed but RDA is more well-rounded than Woodley's last three or four opponents so T-Wood is not just focusing on one strength and has shown weakness to pressure fighting opponents in the past. To me it seems that Woodley needs space to throw his sprinting mega-bombs so its up to RDA to get inside that range and tire Woodley out. Decent match-up for sure.

It's hard to look past Woodley indeed but RDA is more well-rounded than Woodley's last three or four opponents so T-Wood is not just focusing on one strength and has shown weakness to pressure fighting opponents in the past. To me it seems that Woodley needs space to throw his sprinting mega-bombs so its up to RDA to get inside that range and tire Woodley out. Decent match-up for sure.

I think Woodley has definitely improved in that regard too though. He's fairly comfortable fighting against the cage. He won't throw much but he still managed to drop Wonderboy a couple of times with his back against the cage. He can also use the cage to propel himself for a power double. RDA is very well rounded though, I'd hope for a fast paced fight but again Woodley is very good at slowing things down.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

Lukker- wrote:
    I think Woodley has definitely improved in that regard too though. He's fairly comfortable fighting against the cage. He won't throw much but he still managed to drop Wonderboy a couple of times with his back against the cage. He can also use the cage to propel himself for a power double. RDA is very well rounded though, I'd hope for a fast paced fight but again Woodley is very good at slowing things down.

Woodley's a beast. Nobody is beating him anytime soon

eurokev wrote: »
    Woodley's a beast. Nobody is beating him anytime soon

Indeed. He gets flak, but personally I think if you're into technical fighting, he's fantastic to watch. He's hugely talented, and RDA is quite prone to doing the chicken dance after a knock to the jaw, so I don't see past TW for that one.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    Indeed. He gets flak, but personally I think if you're into technical fighting, he's fantastic to watch. He's hugely talented, and RDA is quite prone to doing the chicken dance after a knock to the jaw, so I don't see past TW for that one.

I think that is a small overstatement. He's compelling at times, but his last 2 fights have been stinkers. It's the equivalent tactic of parking the bus in football. I respect the grind and concentration it takes to apply, but it can be dismal viewing at times. For me, an actual technician who is fantastic to watch would be TJ Dillashaw

I actually think Woodley could break the defence record at WW too.

Lukker- wrote: »
    but his last 2 fights have been stinkers

No disputing that, though I would say, it takes two to tango. Thompson's point scoring style of fighting does not combine well at all with Woodley's defensive style. Similarly, Maia spent five rounds attempting take downs, which were all stuffed. Not compelling to watch, but for tdd alone, Woodley was fantastic that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Lukker- wrote: »
    I actually think Woodley could break the defence record at WW too.

The record is 9 isn't it? I'd say that's a bold prediction, considering 2 of his 3 defences so far were razor thin, a majority decision and a majority draw, adding in to that there is a new wave of talent at 170, to win 7 more in a row would be remarkable. Considering the level of competition he would face I'd say it would make him the greatest of all time without question if he manages that. He's also not very young, only a year younger old than GSP.

I'd love to see Till get a crack at Woodley, now that's an exciting prospect.

Django99 wrote: »
    The record is 9 isn't it? I'd say that's a bold prediction, considering 2 of his 3 defences so far were razor thin, a majority decision and a majority draw, adding in to that there is a new wave of talent at 170, to win 7 more in a row would be remarkable. Considering the level of competition he would face I'd say it would make him the greatest of all time without question if he manages that. He's also not very young, only a year younger old than GSP.

Yeah I know, it would be a massive ask. Comparatively though he has much less miles on the clock than GSP and doesn't really get hit that much. His style is the ultimate grinder style, so if a fight doesn't finish they will tend to be very narrow. Thing is he can usually do enough to win the fight and he knows the fine margins it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Am I the only one that thinks Saffeidene, Magny and a Lawler on the slide who has fought twice in two and a half years shouldn't amount to a title shot?

Cowboy had a longer, more impressive streak at WW (albeit admittedly not fighting anyone as high on the ladder as Lawler) until he got absolutely wrecked by Masvidal, who subsequently got wrecked by Wonderboy.

If RDA gets the shot, Woodley will annihilate him.

Isn't this the Conor McGregor thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

http://www.punditarena.com/mma/sraftery/joe-rogan-claims-floyd-mayweather-2/

Rogan says Dana and flyod are in talks for the second finght in the octagon

• Advertisement

http://www.punditarena.com/mma/sraftery/joe-rogan-claims-floyd-mayweather-2/

Rogan says Dana and flyod are in talks for the second finght in the octagon

I wouldn't put any stock whatsoever in something that Rogan said that Dana said that Mayweather said...

Certainly nothing indicating they're in serious talks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement