Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 202 Event Thread: Diaz v McGregor 2 (Information in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Loses hes in the same place virtually hes in now,''off a loss to Diaz 2 weight classes up'', Dont think it will derail him that much although career wise its stupid the rematch is on because his ego and financial reasons in the short term,long term its an awful career choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Does anyone know what the ticket prices for this are likely to be. If I am going i will have to buy 4 tickets (bringing the kids) but cant justify it if the ticket prices start at crazy prices. Would appreciate any feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Gamebred wrote: »
    Loses hes in the same place virtually hes in now,''off a loss to Diaz 2 weight classes up'', Dont think it will derail him that much although career wise its stupid the rematch is on because his ego and financial reasons in the short term,long term its an awful career choice.

Fight wise hes in same spo i.e go to 145 and defend or give up belt and go to 155 but I think with all the excuses rolled out after first fight hes backed himself into a corner PR/trash talk wise and I think it affects him in that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Diaz via Submission
    If he loses the whole mystique is gone. But he'll still be a featherweight champion. So, not a total disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Conor needs to attack Nate's leading leg and have the discipline to continue with that through the early exchanges even if it means losing a round or 2. He'll certainly pace himself better but I can see him falling into the same trap if he lands a few shots, thinking he's a punch or 2 away from the finish. Nate will be sharper and I expect it to be another edge of the seat fight but think Conor just won't have the discipline to stick to a measured approach in the fight.

On the flip-side the Nate can tend to lose focus at times so it will be interesting to see if he has overdone his new found wealth and let his training slip a little

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

RoryMac wrote:
    Conor needs to attack Nate's leading leg and have the discipline to continue with that through the early exchanges even if it means losing a round or 2. He'll certainly pace himself better but I can see him falling into the same trap if he lands a few shots, thinking he's a punch or 2 away from the finish. Nate will be sharper and I expect it to be another edge of the seat fight but think Conor just won't have the discipline to stick to a measured approach in the fight.

RoryMac wrote:
    On the flip-side the Nate can tend to lose focus at times so it will be interesting to see if he has overdone his new found wealth and let his training slip a little

It worked for RDA alright but I can't see Conor using that tactic. I have never seen him use those leg kicks anyway. I think he will approach it much the same as the last fight but maybe not putting as much into the hooks and uppercuts

Wetwipe65 wrote: »
    It worked for RDA alright but I can't see Conor using that tactic. I have never seen him use those leg kicks anyway. I think he will approach it much the same as the last fight but maybe not putting as much into the hooks and uppercuts

That's why I expect the same result, I don't think Conor can use the same tactics & win even being more mindful of his energy levels. Nate likes to fight at a high pace and I don't see Conor being able to stick with it if he can't land & hurt Nate. I can't see Conor using too many body kicks for fear of ending up on his back.

It's not Conor style to throw a lot of leg kicks but he does use them a bit, it certainly won't be as easy for him as RDA made it look but it gives him a great chance to take the pace out of the fight and get his usual game going

• Registered Users Posts: 18,973 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

McGregor would do well to study Diaz's losses and use that as a game plan...

RoryMac wrote:
    That's why I expect the same result, I don't think Conor can use the same tactics & win even being more mindful of his energy levels. Nate likes to fight at a high pace and I don't see Conor being able to stick with it if he can't land & hurt Nate. I can't see Conor using too many body kicks for fear of ending up on his back.

RoryMac wrote:
    It's not Conor style to throw a lot of leg kicks but he does use them a bit, it certainly won't be as easy for him as RDA made it look but it gives him a great chance to take the pace out of the fight and get his usual game going

I predict the same outcome myself, maybe by TKO rather than sub though. I've only ever seen Conor use oblique kicks, never the choppy ones ala Aldo or RDA. He won't outbox Nate but I think he will try.

Diaz via Submission
    alanceltic wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the ticket prices for this are likely to be. If I am going i will have to buy 4 tickets (bringing the kids) but cant justify it if the ticket prices start at crazy prices. Would appreciate any feedback.

Expect to pay at least 200 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Submission
    alanceltic wrote: »

For 4 tickets. Expect to pay $800 for cheapest tickets ($200 each)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I predict the same outcome myself, maybe by TKO rather than sub though. I've only ever seen Conor use oblique kicks, never the choppy ones ala Aldo or RDA. He won't outbox Nate but I think he will try.

He could do enough with the obliques, his stance doesn't really suit throwing Muay Thai style leg kicks.

It's all about timing them well, if Nate is moving in for his standard 1, 2, a well time oblique limits any power he has with his lead jab, which is Nate's main weapon standing up.

If he damages it enough he limits Nate's power for the rest of the fight.

He can't win using his regular pressure style though, he's going to have to be on the backfoot much more, but he has the tools to out strike him, it's just about executing the game plan.

People think the fights a foregone conclusion because Nate has a full camp, but as we've seen with Bisping, coming in on 2 weeks notice can have it's advantages, especially for fighters like Diaz and Bisping who stay in excellent shape year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

McGregor via Submission
    Saipanne wrote: »
    Expect to pay at least 200 each.
    Mellor wrote: »
    For 4 tickets. Expect to pay $800 for cheapest tickets ($200 each)

I know they advertise $200 tickets but in reality I'm not sure there actually are any. I know in the last 2 McGregor pre sales I've never seen $200 tickets available. For 196, the 1st ticket I bought was $330 and it was 3 rows from the very back.

Diaz via Submission
    Devastator wrote: »
    I know they advertise $200 tickets but in reality I'm not sure there actually are any. I know in the last 2 McGregor pre sales I've never seen $200 tickets available. For 196, the 1st ticket I bought was $330 and it was 3 rows from the very back.

I paid 600 for UFC 194, that was the cheapest I could get after five hours sitting at my PC clicking on trucks and street signs.

*Shudder*

McGregor via Submission
    Saipanne wrote: »
    I paid 600 for UFC 194, that was the cheapest I could get after five hours sitting at my PC clicking on trucks and street signs.

*Shudder*

yeah I was sick looking at oranges,trees, and trucks too. I didn't get a ticket until about 1-2am but I didn't have a presale code from the start either. I was only looking single ticket so thats probably why I got cheaper than you if you were looking tickets together

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I expect the undercard to this to be absolute garbage given how close it is to 199 and 200 and even the fox events with Wonderboy and Cowboy so close.

Gamebred wrote: »
    I expect the undercard to this to be absolute garbage given how close it is to 199 and 200 and even the fox events with Wonderboy and Cowboy so close.

I think we could get a good co-main though. Would love for Dustin Poirier to feature.

Gunnar will hopefully make the card too.

McGregor via Submission
    I had the $230 tickets for UFC 189. They weren't uncommon.
    You are thinking of the price below that, the $120-150 tickets (P6). There is so few of them that they might as well not exist.

But from UFC 200 on they will be in the new arena. Bigger venue, cheap seats are further back. For UFC 200, the first tier is $205, no $140 tickets, I'm guessing they exist but not sure.

I can't find the pricing tiers for 200. But my mate told me that that reduced the number of tickets teirs for this year.

Lukker- wrote:
    He could do enough with the obliques, his stance doesn't really suit throwing Muay Thai style leg kicks.

Lukker- wrote:
    It's all about timing them well, if Nate is moving in for his standard 1, 2, a well time oblique limits any power he has with his lead jab, which is Nate's main weapon standing up.

Lukker- wrote:
    If he damages it enough he limits Nate's power for the rest of the fight.

Everyone knew that was the way to go before the first fight too though, so I'm sure Conor and Coach knew that was the way to go about it too, but instead he tried a thousand uppercuts? Conor keeps going on about how he was battering Nate before he gassed, so I think he thinks all he needs is better cardio so he can do what he did in round 1 for the whole fight. I don't think It'll work. I hope I am wrong though..

Is this going to be a 3 or 5 round fight?

McGregor via Submission
    I had the $230 tickets for UFC 189. They weren't uncommon.
    You are thinking of the price below that, the $120-150 tickets (P6). There is so few of them that they might as well not exist.

But from UFC 200 on they will be in the new arena. Bigger venue, cheap seats are further back. For UFC 200, the first tier is $205, no $140 tickets, I'm guessing they exist but not sure.

from 194 & 196 they didn't advertise any tickets for $150, cheapest were about $200 but as I said there didn't seem to be any and I can't remember hearing anyone who got 1 at that price. Cheapest anyone bought was around the 300+ range.

I would expect 202 to be similar ticket prices to 200, which sounds pretty similar to the last McG fights in MGM

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote:

Probably. Nate said on the MMA hour a few weeks ago, he wants one of his gym guys to fight Artem or the card. anyone see that happening?

Everyone knew that was the way to go before the first fight too though, so I'm sure Conor and Coach knew that was the way to go about it too, but instead he tried a thousand uppercuts? Conor keeps going on about how he was battering Nate before he gassed, so I think he thinks all he needs is better cardio so he can do what he did in round 1 for the whole fight. I don't think It'll work. I hope I am wrong though..

Is this going to be a 3 or 5 round fight?

Its 5 rounds.

I wouldn't doubt Conor or Kavanaghs intelligence, he knows exactly where he went wrong. He was loading up on every second punch, as he says he blew his load looking for a knockout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    Lukker- wrote: »
    Its 5 rounds.

I wouldn't doubt Conor or Kavanaghs intelligence, he knows exactly where he went wrong. He was loading up on every second punch, as he says he blew his load looking for a knockout.

yeah exactly, the two boys are going to analyze the fight exponentially better than any of us can ever hope to, for what its worth I reckon McGregor can pull it off but it won't be easy! Roll on the pressers!

Lukker- wrote:

Not doubting their intelligence at all, I'm by no means an expert myself, but I think it was glaringly obvious that the game plan the last time was wrong, He won't outbox Nate no matter how much cardio he has. I just can't see how Conor wins this fight, with his style, but it'll be very interesting to watch.

Think the 5 rounds is a bit of a joke really, It really should be clear which fight has 5 rounds. This fight is an exhibition really.

Its 5 rounds.

He needed to put power into the shots as he was using them as a means to close the distance on Nate and get inside his guard. They need to be a lot smart this time round for a plan to take the pace out of the fight or to let Nate come forward and try fight off the back foot.

I wouldn't doubt Kavanagh's fight intelligence but would have worries about Conor implementing it once the bell rings and gloves are flying.

McGregor via Submission
    from 194 & 196 they didn't advertise any tickets for $150, cheapest were about $200 but as I said there didn't seem to be any and I can't remember hearing anyone who got 1 at that price. Cheapest anyone bought was around the 300+ range.
    Found the prices from 194. Everything went up $50-60 from 189.

UFC 194
    Aldo vs McGregor
    Weidman vs Rockhold

Ticket Prices (Does not include fees):
    P1 = $1250
    P2 = $850
    P3 = $600
    P4 = $400
    P5 = $275
    P6 = $175

And up again for 196? So p6 was 200 and didn't exist?
    I would expect 202 to be similar ticket prices to 200, which sounds pretty similar to the last McG fights in MGM
    Hopefully the $200 seats exist in the bigger arena but who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Submission
    Think the 5 rounds is a bit of a joke really, It really should be clear which fight has 5 rounds. This fight is an exhibition really.

its a 5-rounder cause its a main event, main events and title fights are always 5 rounds?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

I wouldn't doubt Conor or Kavanaghs intelligence

I would. McGregor has made a complete balls of things and from an unbelievable position over the past year. The decision to go ahead with this fight is madness. Saipanne said earlier that the mystique is gone if he loses again. I would argue that it is gone now and a chastening experience in the rematch could be the end of McGregor as a serious contender in the weight class(es) he wants to fight in. Mental how he has ended up here but smarts is definitely not the reason.

McGregor via Submission
    Found the prices from 194. Everything went up $50-60 from 189.

UFC 194
    Aldo vs McGregor
    Weidman vs Rockhold

Ticket Prices (Does not include fees):
    P1 = $1250
    P2 = $850
    P3 = $600
    P4 = $400
    P5 = $275
    P6 = $175

And up again for 196? So p6 was 200 and didn't exist?

Hopefully the $200 seats exist in the bigger arena but who knows

That looks about right. For 194 I think it cost me $295 inc fees and that got me 1st row ticket in section 221. For 196 it cost $330 inc fees for ticket 3rd row from back of section 217.

I didn't see any cheaper tickets(when searching) for either event but presume from what 196 was costing they wouldn't have anywhere for cheaper tickets anyway!

mgmgrandgardenboxing_all.gif

• Advertisement

Depp wrote:
    its a 5-rounder cause its a main event, main events and title fights are always 5 rounds?

Thought it was that only title fights that are suppose to be 5 rounds. Has there been many more non title 5 rounders?

Advertisement